Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

Have never had any desire to attend the rally, People dressed like thugs, and loud exhaust noise for a week solid, is not my cup of tea.

Some of my customers at the Busy Little Shop are Harleys owners and
this is what I've learned why it's their cup of tea...

Riding a Harley is a blues thing... you start a blues ride with "I
woke up this morning riding"...

You can't blues ride on your BMW... it has to be the meanest looking
scoot in town... loud too...

Blues can take place on a good road... it has to a bad road... with
alligators hiding in bushes waiting to chomp your leg off...

No one will believe it's a blues ride if you sport full leathers...
you have to wear basic black jacket... sport tattoos... show some hair...

You needs your own Blues name... you start with the help of a physical
aliment like blind... cripple... lame... then add a fruit like
lemon... lime... kiwi... finish up with a president like Jefferson...
Johnson... Jackson... you become Blind Lemon Jackson or Lame Kiwi
Johnson...

Blues rides are taken nice and easy... you don't want to attract
attention with speeding because your dodging the electric chair having
just shot a man Memphis for saying your women gots the meanest face in
town...

Doesn't matter what color a Blues Bike is painted... there all bad
luck...

I don't care how nice they are... if you own a BMW you can't
sing the Blues riding...

Customer Eric Hollywood and the Harley Deuce project at the Busy Little Shop...
ErikHellBents02.JPG

??? Im looking at empty streets early morning and hear no audio. Maybe your on the wrong link?

When I typed that, it was late at night, with no one in sight, but there was a soundtrack of Harleys starting, riding by slowly, and accelerating through the gears, playing on a couple minute loop.

I am headed there on Monday morning. It is a 600 mile ride for me and I am knocking that out in one day, a piece of cake for an Iron Butt Rider. Riding my Honda VFR1200X and I am meeting friends there. We are volunteering and helping with the work of the Black Sheep Club. They run a free boot shine booth.

It will be my first time there.

It is a quick trip.... travel there on Monday, work Tuesday and Wednesday and ride home on Thursday.

I have been there before with the family in a suburban and camper, where we took the kids to Mt. Rushmore and Deadwood, but that was 14 years ago. Kinda stoked to be doing it on a bike and during the rally.

I am headed there on Monday morning. It is a 600 mile ride for me and I am knocking that out in one day, a piece of cake for an Iron Butt Rider. Riding my Honda VFR1200X and I am meeting friends there. We are volunteering and helping with the work of the Black Sheep Club. They run a free boot shine booth.

It is a quick trip.... travel there on Monday, work Tuesday and Wednesday and ride home on Thursday.

I have been there before with the family in a suburban and camper, where we took the kids to Mt. Rushmore and Deadwood, but that was 14 years ago. Kinda stoked to be doing it on a bike and during the rally.

Have fun. I like the area. Spearfish canyon was a nice ride. I found myself wondering if the Crazy Horse monument will ever be finished. Being shocked that Mt. Rushmore seemed a lot smaller than I had imagined. Devils Tower is a good day ride.

Just got back from Sturgis yesterday afternoon. I haven't seen crowds/traffic this busy in any of my 8 past visits. Gonna be a crazy year..

I experienced it 20 years ago, from the seat of the CBR1100XX I owned at the time. Nice area with lots of things worth seeing. Waaaay too crowded for me to want to go during the Rally again.
Cruise Missle!

Any trip reports you might care to share?

Anything is better than another thread on HDEO's in bikes... :)

Have never had any desire to attend the rally, People dressed like thugs, and loud exhaust noise for a week solid, is not my cup of tea. A 4 day trip to the roads of NW Arkansas in the fall, is my Sturgis.
A buddy of mine who lives in MI is trying to talk me into going, but I'm hesitant. I don't usually like huge crowds, and riding into a town full of Harley guys on a Goldwing just doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

A buddy of mine who lives in MI is trying to talk me into going, but I'm hesitant. I don't usually like huge crowds, and riding into a town full of Harley guys on a Goldwing just doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

Sure, it's mostly Harleys, but there are plenty of other bikes there too. If you're a Motorcyclist, I think it's worth experiencing.

Back