Stupid New Car Names and Editions !

VW has the dumbest names IMO. Tiguan, Touareg, Golf etc. I think Routan is German for Chrysler mini van...:p

Sounds like Ikea furniture. I think my dresser is a Routan and one of the lamps might be a Tiguan.

Grand Cherokee
Cherokee
Wrangler

All could be offensive to someone...

The Cherokee Chief dialed in from 1985 and wasn't happy.

s-l1600.jpg

We all know the origin-but standing on it's own it's a stupid name. If his last name was "Smith" it would be "SMITH TIRE". That was back in the day when you founded a business-it was common to name it your family name. Today-we have computer generated names and then market, research and focus groups are contacted before deciding on a name. "Lexus" and "Infiniti" are good examples.
Nothing stupid about it. He invented products of progress, not names …
Tesla did not found a car company … perhaps both done out of respect for ingenuity …

Last edited:
Back on track to new car names … have to agree with Kia Carnival being an odd one … perhaps only the K9 would have been worse (that I spotted in Korea) …

Bring back the 60 Special...

I actually think Gremlin and Road Runner are good names, Scamp is questionable, but it has calligraphy beat by 6 or 7 miles...

Y Y Y Yugo. Guess it means You Go? Which was a lie. Ever hear Rush's song...In a Yogo?
My Yugo would go 100mph no hands on the wheel with 3 passengers - senior engineers- ask them.
Ferrari designed engine - and a GOOD one.

Yugo is a contraction of the former Yugoslavia.
It is an Unfortunate name, in reality Made by Zastava** just a FIAT 12x series 2 door made from old tooling.

Blame DeLorean for the name, He may have been flying high on his "imported product"

**I think Zastava is making some Transmissions and Engines for VW now.

I love Chevy Novas. In fact, building a '66 or '67 would be a freakin' blast!
I think GM tried to sell a "Nova" in Mexico.
But in Spanish, "No va" means, "He doesn't go."
I did build a '66 with a 375 HP 355. It was quick. About 2 seconds a gear to redline in the first three gears.

I'll look for the photos - I have a couple Kodak Colorburst 100 instant pictures somewhere in my bureau.

How about the Merkur XR4Ti?
I had one of those!
Appealing - though only somewhat - to the Techie 80's crowd. Its fun to say Merkur like a " gut Frankfurter "!

'MARE-cour

Really good chassis, bad engine and bad seats.
I almost forgot it was RWD.

I love Chevy Novas. In fact, building a '66 or '67 would be a freakin' blast!
I think GM tried to sell a "Nova" in Mexico.
But in Spanish, "No va" means, "He doesn't go."
Old urban legend, I understand. "No va" is two words, whereas the car's name was one word. And I'm pretty sure GM, with its great resources and reach in those days, would have researched extensively and group-tested the name in other markets besides the U.S.

Back