Struts for an 02 Camry SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I am feeling my struts on my 02 Camry getting weak-kneed at 85K (spent a good deal of time on bumpy country roads).

It would appear that I know have two options: KYB and Monroe. Both only specify one grade for the 02 Camry. I have a few questions

OE specifies stiffer struts for the SE trim - how well would the one-size-fits-all aftermarket replacements work?

Anyone know the country of origin for the KYB or Monroe for this application?

Any actual experience with either brand for this application?

Personally, I would either go back to factory OE (get them from Toyotapartscheap.com, which is, in fact, Moss Motors in Cali) or get KYB.

I have had mixed results RE: Monroe so I wouldn't go with them if there are some better options avail.

2c's worth.

Q.

BTW: still on OE with wifey's 04 LE, with 62000kms to clock.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
can you get bilstein?

Nope. Only aftermarket options are KYB and Monroe.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Lately I am feeling my struts on my 02 Camry getting weak-kneed at 85K (spent a good deal of time on bumpy country roads).

It would appear that I know have two options: KYB and Monroe. Both only specify one grade for the 02 Camry. I have a few questions

You can buy OEM.

I believe Tokico made the factory struts.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on tire rack. Way cheaper there than AAP.

Yes I am looking for a stiffer ride. Now the car floats so much almost makes me car sick.

If the mounts aren't dry-rotted or have gaping cracks in them I'd re-use them.

Ditto on the KYB's. They make some nice struts, having used them before on a Hyundai Elantra with very nice results.

In Michigan, Car Quest sells KYB shocks and struts. I bought some last year and they were only slightly higher than Rock Auto and warranty problems can be handled locally.

eBay is much cheaper than Rockauto if you are willing to take your chances with the warranty.

If you're a DIY guy, see if Monroe offers a "quick strut" for your application. They cost quite a bit more, but it makes the installation much easier.

Just my opinion, but do NOT buy any non-trivial heavy parts on eBay. If there are any problems you will not only have a likely uncooperative vendor to deal with (who saves money with customer no-service among other things), you will also have to pay huge shipping costs back and forth.

Thanks guys. I will most likely order them from Rockauto and do this myself. I have never done this before but I do have the full factory manual for this procedure.

If I have to do one axle, drive to work, and come back and do the second axle, should I do the front first or the back?

Johnny,

Always replace/service struts in pairs (either front pair or rear pair) and never just service 1 strut out of 4 for you may get into serious handling issues that may become life-threatening if it calls for emergency manoeuvers.

Q.

Good advice above. I would do the easiest pair first, probably the backs. Strut compressors are available free on loan from Autozone. If you don't have another vehicle available when this one is down, make sure you can get, or have available, ALL of the extras: rubber bushings, etc.. On my last strut job, I could only get some parts from the dealer.

While you are at it Johnny,

Might as well inspect and replace the dust boot (accordians) and/or strut top plate bearings if deemed necessary. They are cheep insurance if you get them from say, toyotapartscheap (moss motors) and it will get you a long way...

Q.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back