Quickstrut for Camry

Monroes tend to become soft after about 10,000 miles making you wonder why you replaced the worn out ones because they feel the same

More food for thought. Brian Kessler CEO of Tenneco making decisions to close plants to take Monroe shocks to Mexico. How many of them will buy these shocks. Go for the KYB.

KYBs on my saturn were very good.

Sensens on my 02 Camry wore out quickly. And I wanted them to be good. The OE springs and mounts made it to 250k+ miles.

Will you be doing any of this work yourself?

Will you be doing any of this work yourself?
Undecided. I did them on my '99, but that was from Arizona, so the bolts actually came out easily. What I might do is, next tire rotation and/or snow tire install, see if the swaybar end links break free. If they do, I might put them on--but if anything is seized I might just have them do it. It's what, less than an hour per side (if not half hour once on a lift), plus I would need an alignment anyhow.

KYB. If Bilstein available for Camry, run and get them.
I don't see any loaded/quickstrut Bilstein online. If I have to pay to have coils swapped it might not be worth it--I've already patched one rust hole, the car only has a couple years left of life TBH.

I used Monroe Quick Struts on my older Kia Soul and the strut had a SACHS sticker on it. So far they have been great.

The KYB Strut-Plus I put on my old Elantra had a noisy strut mount bearing, but the replacement Rock Auto sent was ok.
WOW if one knew for certain that you're getting Sachs I'd say go Monroe then, but I think that must have been a fluke as Sachs are rated just a smidgen below Bilstein.

Undecided. I did them on my '99, but that was from Arizona, so the bolts actually came out easily. What I might do is, next tire rotation and/or snow tire install, see if the swaybar end links break free. If they do, I might put them on--but if anything is seized I might just have them do it. It's what, less than an hour per side (if not half hour once on a lift), plus I would need an alignment anyhow.
Yeah endlinks on struts are no fun.

If you have an angle grinder, grind the stud that sticks through flush with the front of the nut so it's all flat and shiny. That's where the "rust connection" is. While it's still hot, try and spin that nut off, bet it'll come. (An impact is better for this.) If not, plunge with a "1mm" stone and stick your flatty screwdriver in the middle. And you can even reuse the end link once.

If you're not going to do this, get the threads on the stud with a wire brush or whatever the best you can-- I've had lots of end link nuts come off a full thread, THEN jam and spin the rest of the stud/ball joint in the bore and you're stuck, or trying to get a needle nose vise grips in behind.

If it's your only car maybe get some contingent Chinesium end links on ebay, $20 for the pair.

We used Monroe on our Camry last year. Still doing great. Now the rears are shot I’m going to be using Monroe there too most likely. My only complaint with the Monroe is I had to dremel the top hole out for the alignment because it didn’t come with elongated holes in it.

I've used KYBs several times on an '03 and an '09 Camry and I've been happy every time.
I've read they ride stiff? I'm guessing that's subjective and all.
Yes, definitely subjective.
Typically when someone gets around to replacing struts they probably should have been done 20k+ miles ago.

So you put the new ones on and the ride is very stiff versus the blown out ones that were replaced.

One thing to keep in mind when installing the struts is to leave the nuts/bolts loose on the bearing plate until after you've set the car down on the ground. That will help keep the bearing plate from distorting and causing clunking when turning.

I liked the kyb quick struts in my Focus, hit the top nut with an impact gun though, mine were slightly too loose and allowed some movement and clunks. The top mount had a good amount of squish and sucked up little 1" square edged hits far better that OEM. I suspect you'll get a bit more front ride height as the springs will have to be close to the V6 auto camry specs.

Back