Streaming issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by RayCJ
Please quit already. That's obnoxious.
You keep bringing up things like PC and Internet TV, which are completely irrelevant to the OP's issue, and you call me obnoxious? LOL!

And with some TV streaming services, once you have the subscription, you don't need their hardware device and you can connect and play the stream on your PC. LOL!

Originally Posted by Rat407
OK, we were looking at getting rid of DirecTV and go with streaming. But first we thought we would try it. Well the issue we are having is every now and then the sound doesn't match the video. It is like watching an old Kung Fu movie. Anyone else have this issue? It is the same on different TV's that are hooked up to an Amazon Fire Stick or our Apple TV. It is very annoying. If I can't find a fix then streaming isn't for us.

A few questions:

1. Are the two different TV's the same make/model?
2. Can you try a trial of Netflix and see if the behaviour is the same?

You need to establish what the common denominator is.

The Apple TV has an ethernet port, so you should be able to quickly determine if this is a Wireless issue by connecting it via that method. Though typically with Amazon video, if it is a buffer/bandwidth issue, the video gets incredibly grainy as the quality drops off, while the audio stays in synch. I've had a few movies on Amazon video, typically old titles, where the sound didn't match the video, but this was movie-specific, not to the device or service, as selecting another title it was fine. I've never had this problem with Netflix, which is why I've suggested testing with that.

As wag123 noted, this is typically not indicative of a bandwidth issue. The only reason I've suggested the above with the AppleTV is the significant difference between the two pieces of hardware you are using to stream. Wireless congestion can cause spikes in CPU usage, which can translate into funky artifacts, like the audio falling out of synch, on devices which are typically marginally spec'd hardware-wise for the task at hand.

Wrong. The OP has not stated precisely what the viewing devices are.

It was in the OP:
Originally Posted by Rat407
It is the same on different TV's that are hooked up to an Amazon Fire Stick or our Apple TV

When you plug the HDMI into the Internet TV, a CPU-based software component has to extract the audio, video and synch signals from the HDMI interface. This is done with software interrupts generated by the HDMI hardware. It then sends the synchronized data to some other CPU-based software component that interacts with the OS to display the output via the video card. If the Internet TV's CPU is messed-up for any one of a number of unrelated reasons, it will prevent those software process from doing their job. In my example case, the Amazon Firestick was configured properly. It was receiving the wireless signal just fine and was presenting the HDMI to the TV's HDMI interface just fine. The TV's own network interface configuration got messed-up somehow and DHCP was releasing the IP address every couple seconds. This caused the Internet TV's CPU to go wild and therefore, it could not process the firestick's signal.

In the case of an older Non Internet-Based TV, the HDMI signal is processed by fixed hardware (most likely a 3rd party ASIC device) and it's less likely to have such problems because the "CPU" in such devices is not involved in processing the HDMI signal.

This may depend on the TV. On my Samsung, before the integrated system has even booted (can't start any of the apps for the first few seconds from cold) you can still cycle through the inputs like a traditional TV and they will all operate. This is an architecture more similar to a traditional TV with a standalone integrated system that just hangs off an unassigned input that gets called when you fire it up via the remote. This is also evidenced by two very different menu systems, one that is very traditional, for cycling inputs, making basic settings changes...etc that is almost identical to what you'll find on a Samsung "traditional" TV, and those that are part of the integrated "Smart" features, which launch apps. Note that this is an older 3D television as well, so that may play into this.

While I get the angle you are approaching this from, the more likely suspect in the OP's case, since he's stated he's used both the AppleTV and Amazon Fire TV on two separate televisions, unless they are identical make/model (hence my query to him on that) is something to do with his selection of streaming service, as that seems to be the common thread. If it works fine with a trial of Netflix, that reinforces that theory.

Originally Posted by wag123
Rat, what are you using for the sound output? The TV's speakers, a sound bar, or an external amp/receiver and speakers?

Just using the speakers from the TV. This is happening on a Smart TV as well as a regular Samsung through the TV speakers, not a sound bar or receiver.

As for the router, it is brand new. We went with the Linksys Velop mesh system. Works great. Strong WiFi everywhere from the front porch to the back deck out by the pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back