STP SYN - FULL SYNTHETIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much marketing hype is on the bottle? I sure can tell by price there's plenty of marketing hype. Does any one know if STP is purchasing base stocks and doing their own blending? that's one area I can see the inflated price. $7.49 QRT. I wouldn't touch even with 20% off still 6 bucks per QRT.

Here's what the back label says..

**Helps**
Reduce Engine Wear While Maintaining Fuel Economy
Reduce Harmful Piston Deposits Leading to Ring Sticking
Protect Against Harmful Effect of Rust and Corrosion
Maintain Cleanliness of Critical Turbo Components
Prevent the Negative Effects of Ethanol/Water in Oil that can lead to Engine Failure

I like the last factoid, wonder how beneficial that is for Direct Injected?

STP SYN

Looks good on paper if anyone knows where one can pick this up cheap give me a head up.

Thanks

Blended by Amalie. Certainly a good product, but overpriced at $7.49 a quart. Probably the same formula as Parts Plus full synthetic---it's the same Dexos license. They have stores in NY state.

Yes, the STP is sold at Autozone stores here in NY.

I may switch to Supertech Full synthetic - just have to use up my NAPA stock first.

However I have been satisfied with the NAPA Full synthetic and the local NAPA store is 5 mins away.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Yes, the STP is sold at Autozone stores here in NY.

I may switch to Supertech Full synthetic - just have to use up my NAPA stock first.

However I have been satisfied with the NAPA Full synthetic and the local NAPA store is 5 mins away.

Hard to beat Napa full syn when on sale for $2.99 or $3.59. Amalie makes other brand synthetics that also must be similar in formulation: Carquest, Federated, Rallye, Spectrol, Value Tech and Wolf's Head, to name a few.

Haven't seen the Federated brand in my area in a long time now. Amalie is good stuff. When I was living on Long Island NY a local auto supply sold Wolf's Head I always ran the wolf conventional in my Hyundai Sonata and Subaru Impreza non turbo with no issues.

how does your 911 like the STP?

Seems ok. Engine is quiet and smooth, and hot idle oil pressure is in spec.

I've only got about 20 miles on the oil. I did the change before storing the car. (again)

sounds good. if I ever see this on clearance I'll buy it up.
thumbsup2.gif

Actually Warren Distribution makes the STP full synthetic 5w30 in my area... The Dexos approval number is from Warren Distribution and matches Federated Auto full synthetic oil exactly.

Yeah it could be an area type deal... Makes sense. Strange it's that it's different from VA to NC..

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah it could be an area type deal... Makes sense. Strange it's that it's different from VA to NC..

Yeah, im still amazed i can get Havoline in North Carolina but not here in PA
smile.gif

Their 5W-40 Euro is A3/B4 certified. When Autozone has it on sale for $25/5qts, i buy it. Worked just fine.

Reduce Engine Wear While Maintaining Fuel Economy
Reduce Harmful Piston Deposits Leading to Ring Sticking
Protect Against Harmful Effect of Rust and Corrosion
Maintain Cleanliness of Critical Turbo Components
Prevent the Negative Effects of Ethanol/Water in Oil that can lead to Engine Failure
***[fine print] When compared to air as a lubricant.***

Haven't seen the Federated brand in my area in a long time now. Amalie is good stuff. When I was living on Long Island NY a local auto supply sold Wolf's Head I always ran the wolf conventional in my Hyundai Sonata and Subaru Impreza non turbo with no issues.

Before Amalie bought the Wolf's Head trademark it was repackaged Pennzoil.

I can get wolf's head from my local sam's club - 5 and 10w-30 $26-28/ 12 PK not willing to pay that for DINO.

also avail. is a 5 and 10w-30 made by prime it's a SYN-Blend $21.48/ 12 PK. that's more me, even if it's 1% SYN-Blend. Now only if I had a car that takes that weight oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back