STP S3614 oil filter, Harley Davidson Evolution...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to test the STP S3614 oil filter, available for about 3 bucks at Auto Zone (and perhaps elsewhere, I'm not sure)...

I did a UOA with a decent 20W50 and this filter on my 1994 Harley Davidson Low Rider, Evolution 1340cc stock engine...

Here's that report from Blackstone. I asked them to specifically evaluate the job the filter did, and they mentioned that it seemed to work just fine. So I'll probably be using these STP filters (they're blue in color, which matches the pinstriping on my bike :) ... )... so they're not obnoxious looking, depending on the color scheme of your motorcycle.

ChevronUOA.jpg

I haven't cut the old filter apart yet, but I'll probably do that when I get the chance, just to look at construction. The STP filters have been reported to be of Champion Labs manufacture (same factory that makes Harley Davidson's own brand of filters), and the bypass is about 9 psi, and micron rating is 20. The recommended Harley filter uses a 30 micron media, but the accuracy of these micron ratings is of course subjective.

It looks like the STP filter did about the same job as the earlier filters which I had used, which again were the HD branded filters.

I don't have an oil pressure gauge on the bike (yet, I'm looking around for the engine mounted gauge), so I don't know how the pressure did but the oil light never came on, so I believe it was plenty adequate.

The STP S3614 seems like a decent option to the more expensive Harley Davidson branded filters for the 1340cc Evolution engine.

Dan

Dan,

The real issue with a filter on a Harley is burst strength. Make sure the filter you are using meets the same specs as the filter designed for your bike.

The filter on a dry-sump Harley is subject to some pretty high pressure spikes depending on ambient temp and the vis of the oil being used.

Thanks G-Man... I'm probably going to cut this one apart and take a look at its guts, and check the thickness of the can, and general integrity.

I'll get some pictures if I do cut it apart.

Dan

Also, keep in mind that the correct filter for HD applications (no matter who makes them) does not have an ADBV. This could be because under normal conditions the lubrication circuit in a Harley is a high-flow, low pressure system. It could just be that even the minimal restriction caused by the oil having to push past an ADBV might cause momentary interruptions in flow under some conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Also, keep in mind that the correct filter for HD applications (no matter who makes them) does not have an ADBV. This could be because under normal conditions the lubrication circuit in a Harley is a high-flow, low pressure system. It could just be that even the minimal restriction caused by the oil having to push past an ADBV might cause momentary interruptions in flow under some conditions.

I didn't know that... thanks for the info.

I think I'll cut that STP filter apart this morning and see what it reveals... :)

Dan

Yep, been using the Super Tech 3614 on my Evo engines for a long time...no problems at all...even used a Fram 3614 when I didn't know any better! Picked up some ST3600 filters that are a little longer to try next go around for a little more capacity. Baldwyn also makes some good Evo filters for around $6...or you can use their # that crosses for the 3614, I "think" a B233 for the short one, can't remember the longer filter #....the Baldwyn filter for direct replacement is a B1413 and it doesn't have an ADBV...the others do, but I've had no problems running them either. Hard to beat a SuperTech for about $3 ...

Originally Posted By: fuel tanker man
Originally Posted By: G-MAN

I didn't know that... thanks for the info.

I think I'll cut that STP filter apart this morning and see what it reveals... :)

Dan

True statement for the Evo which is the subject of this thread, no ADBV. But not true for the twin cam. HD and other spec'd filters for the TC have a ADBV.

Hmm, I didn't know that the Twincam spec'd a ADBV...but it could be because the oil on an Evo goes thru the motor first and then the filter..whereas on the Twincam, it goes thru the filter first...that would seem logical to have the filter holding some oil ready to go into the engine on startup...

Originally Posted By: 1WildPig
Hmm, I didn't know that the Twincam spec'd a ADBV...but it could be because the oil on an Evo goes thru the motor first and then the filter

I find that hard to believe. You might as well not have a filter if you're going to filter the oil after it's gone through the bearings.
smirk2.gif

Not sure of the oil circuit on a evo sportster,but i know it does not need a anti drain valve filter.That's why a H.D. brand sportster oil filter is cheaper than a T.C. filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back