Gear oil in a Harley Transmission ?

Most likely why they all used to leak oil, putting gasket eating gear oil in a transmission ;) and not following the manufacturers requirements.
Then why did Harley change their tune about using gear oil a few years ago?. Could it be that after almost 100 years, they finally realized there were gears in the transmission, and gear oil worked best in there?. What a discovery.,,,

Then why did Harley change their tune about using gear oil a few years ago?. Could it be that after almost 100 years, they finally realized there were gears in the transmission, and gear oil worked best in there?. What a discovery.,,,

There was a time and there still are, some gears lubes are caustic, damage soft metals and eat away gaskets and I think why you see gear lube seep from truck differentials.
That point is largely mute in todays gears lubes though I am sure not all.

Also Formula + is still recommended but acknowledges the gear lube would be better suited for hot climates and two up riding, luggage ect.
In another thread I already agreed with someone else it's most likely a marketing decision to bring back the gear lube buyers.
Harley transmissions as far as I know are pretty rock solid no matter what you use. I do think the new gear lube is a good match for our riding here in SC and the type of trips I take. Not so much that its gear lube but the fact that it is a 60+ weight rather than 50 oil/lube.

Last edited:
My experience with the new Harley HEAVEY SYNTHETIC GEAR OIL...
My 1997 Harley slightly modded EVO may be older than your newer Harley bikes but I would think the tans is similar? Regardless, this is my experience the last 26 years with my bikes trans fluid.

I used Harley dealer or Revtec standard fluid the first 4-7 years with okay results but always had that hard first gear clunk and neutral was always hard to find from day one. Then a small local shop suggested I try Synergyn Syngear II Synthetic Racing lube. That shop owner told me it would help the clunk and all of his customers loved it. It was never listed on the bottle but researching the net suggest its was a 80w-140 but I can't verify that. That Syngear II was fantastic and I used it for a solid 10 or so years changing once a year and then surprise Synergyn is now no longer available! I'm guessing out of business? I made a few calls and was promised I would see it again but nope!

Looking for a replacement I find the new Harley Heavy Gear oil and its also a 80w-140 so I try that for a year and boo, my bad clunk and my hard to find neutral returns with a vengeance! Neutral became so hard to find when hot I found myself starting the bike in-gear with the clutch pulled as at times it would not go into neutral.

So doing more research, reading reviews and such I decided to use for the 1st time Bel-Ray products in all three holes including the Bel-Ray V-Twin 85w-140 Transmission Oil in the trans (NOT THE PRIMARY) I used regular Bel-Ray Primary lube in the primary . My research suggest this Bel-Ray 85w-140 is mineral based NOT synthetic but BOY I got my EZ to find neutral back and the clunk is much better and changing the gears is as smooth as butter.
I can actually feel the " more smooth, softer shifts, like its in butter " with my left foot when changing gears as strange as that sounds. I actually like the Bel-Ray better than the Syngear II and thats saying a lot.

I only have about 100 miles or so on the Bel-Ray but I can tell its VERY good stuff and a very noticeable improvement first ride.

I didn't like the new Harley Heavy Gear oil at all in my bike and I gave it a good solid 12 months. I was glad to see Harley is realizing thicker may be better like many of us have known for years but I'm not a fan of that new Harley product as it didn't come close to the performance I had been experiencing the last 10 years with the Synergyn in my trans.

This Spring fluid change I used mineral based Bel-Ray in all holes and a S&S 30 micron oil filter for the first time. I am extreme happy with how my bike sounds, feels, shifts and runs.

I do live in sub-tropic coastal South Carolina and normally ride above 70F so I have zero worry about using this thickest stuff ever (85w-140) as I guess my trans just likes butter as it sure shifts now like it has butter in it! The thicker the better as far as I can tell... As long as I don't experience any oil shear or lots of metal on the drain plug or any new leaks, I believe I have found my new lube manufacture with Bel-Ray.

Last edited:
In the name of accuracy.
Harley came out with a "gear lube" for those who wish to use a slightly heavier lubricant in hot climates.

With that said the recommended lubricant in Harley Touring Bikes, which can be confirmed in any owners manual is not the Harley Davidson Gear lube. (The latest manual I just checked was 2022)

In the owners manual as of 2022 the two recommended lubricants for their touring bikes are Harley 20/50 synthetic engine oil or Formula+
I have used and continue to use Formula+ successfully for what will be 8 years this summer. There are times in our hot summers that a slightly heaver lubricant might have been nice but I continue with the Formula+ for now anyway, never say never about changing any lubricant, more so in this forum!

@SOUNDMAN5000 Good post about the Belray which we all know have a great reputation. Just an FYI for 8 years I rode in the midlands of South Carolina which is hotter than the coast by a significant margin. I never have trouble with neutral but yes, you can tell when the fluid starts to thin on 100 degree (or close to days) and heavy interstate 85 mph travel.
Also curious if you have a 6 speed back then I dont know but even so I am sure changes have been made, at least in my case by 2014.

Bel-Ray is a well respected brand and I have used a lot of their products on my dirt bikes with great results. My son has a 2006 Dyna Glide Low RIder that we had to change the inner primary bearing on. Someone at the dealer suggested using Bel-Ray in the primary chain case. Said they were seeing good results and a lot of people liked it. He went with the Bel-Ray in the primary and so far so good. The clutch feels good and no noise. He is using Amsoil 20W50 in the engine and Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin transmission oil.

"Low spec 50 WT oil"

Now that's a funny one

EXACTLY what the factory manual calls for in my 1970 Triumph 650 Bonneville gearbox

If gear lube eats seals and gaskets why isn’t your car or truck leaking all the time🤔🤔😂

Check this out it’s for 10 quarts.

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpeg
    IMG_9121.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 51
Back