stp oil treatmentt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put about 1/3 of the bottle into the engine. Sounds like the engine likes it since it works quieter. The accord i believe has worn bearings. So i just want to know what does this stp oil treatment do? Does it "up" the viscosity?

Last edited:
It's not the best way to achieve increased viscosity. Plain oil has the correct formulation for whatever weight you choose and will be better than thin oil +STP.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
It's not the best way to achieve increased viscosity. Plain oil has the correct formulation for whatever weight you choose and will be better than thin oil +STP.

+1 It is mostly polymer that makes your thicker. If you want thick oil, buy it that way.

Wrong forum.
32.gif

aha. WHat would be a good weig to buy?
im thinking a 40 -50 weight. and well see how it sounds if anything stp on top of that

Originally Posted By: Bulli
can you explain ?

Most 30wt oils are ~10.5 cSt @ 100C as refference. And 90wt gear oil is ~16cSt @ 100C. 140wt gear oil is ~26cSt.

Probably not. It won't make your oil into 250 cSt syrup, but it may change your 30wt into a 40 or 50 wt. All depends on quantities.

unless it has other additives for AW, then it seems to be like the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, after seeing ICP analysis of the LOS and the KV100 in the 200's i believe, i would not bother, as it would only serve to thicken the oil IMO, and from my limited knowledge, thicker oil will run quieter..but why not buy it formulated that way in the first place? am i off base?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanFan
and from my limited knowledge, thicker oil will run quieter..but why not buy it formulated that way in the first place?

Because people have a fear of seeing 20W-50 on the oil bottle; it's much less stressful to buy an additive with a harmless STP label.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
250cst@100C = thick and rich and choc-o-late . . . umm yummy
55.gif

Pffffft!! Thick, no way! Bardahl B-2 is 667cSt at 100C. B-2, for real men!
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back