STP Oil at Autozone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Obviously not, usually in places like Europe, Australia, New Zealand, a brand like this typically will be a higher quality product.

The RoW gets high quality gear oils from Castrol, Valvoline, and
Shell, while here in the USA we only have a few average items to choose from.

That's impressive that the STP on OZ is approved for use with
ACEA specs!

Poor you and your perception the rest of the world has it better then you. Ask how much is STP syn in Australia.

I will agree with you guys, however this is supposed to be taking place of the Autozone brand oils in the long run. According to my brother who works at this store, he says the stuff is flying off the shelf as there are actually a lot of STP die hards. However if it does take place of the Autozone branded oil, there will be a lot of deals for this and a filter for 19.99. Our autozone almost always has either house brand oil or Mobil Super for $18.99 or $19.99 with a filter. At that price, I would give it a go. Autozone is just a 5 minute walk from my house and Walmart is a 10 minute drive so on the cars that I don't care what oil goes in or haven't prepurchased oil, I just walk up to Autozone and buy the cheap deal.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Obviously not, usually in places like Europe, Australia, New Zealand, a brand like this typically will be a higher quality product.

ACEA specs!

Poor you and your perception the rest of the world has it better then you. Ask how much is STP syn in Australia.

Exactly. I don't know of any vehicle requiring ACEA or other "stout" approvals that is more reliable and long lived than something requiring only API/ILSAC.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

ACEA specs!

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/super/Stp-Oil

hope link works outside Oz.

Yeah, I've been looking at the STP oil in Australia. I'm pretty sure it will be different to the STP oil you get in North America. Maybe it's like a franchise and a local blender buys the rights to use the name. The name STP has been around for a while, so that has to be worth something.

You had a mineral 5W30 HM that was SN rated and $24 (USD) for 5 qt (4.73L).

Over here in Oz, Shannow showed a full synthetic 5W30 that's rated SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01 & Porsche A40 for $55 AUD (or $38.50 USD) for 5L. But right now SCA is having 15% off most STP oils, so expect to pay more like $47 AUD ( or $33 USD).

The local STP semi-synthetic 10W40, SN A3/B4, is $40 ($28 USD) for 5 L. But right now is on sale at $34 ( $24 USD).

To me STP is one of the good second-tier products we get along with others like Nulon and Chief oil. I'm sure they are fine, but I've never purchased any. The reason being, their regular price is better than name brand oils (Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Shell & Penrite) but we regularly see the name brands at 40 to 50% off, but the second tier stuff is mostly full price or at most 15 to 20% off. You get more oil for your money, if you plan ahead and wait for the big names to go on sale. I recently picked up 5L of Castrol GTX with an oil filter for $20 AUD (or $14 USD). That's a good price.

If they offered me STP full synthetic at 40% off a few times per year, I would probably give it a go. But as it stands, I tend to stick to the name brands at about half price.

Still, I like having a big selection on the shelves, it looks good and keeps the big players honest.

SR5, you make some good points.

I like the fact that plain jane GTX and XLD (15W40) take up so little shelf space these days compared to days of old when they were 1/3 of the shelf space each.

Means when Aaron at the local SCA sends a customer up the back to "talk with that guy" about what to put in his Ranger 3.2 diesel, I can find two decent oils at different price points.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yeah, I've been looking at the STP oil in Australia. I'm pretty sure it will be different to the STP oil you get in North America. Maybe it's like a franchise and a local blender buys the rights to use the name. The name STP has been around for a while, so that has to be worth something.

You had a mineral 5W30 HM that was SN rated and $24 (USD) for 5 qt (4.73L).

Over here in Oz, Shannow showed a full synthetic 5W30 that's rated SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01 & Porsche A40 for $55 AUD (or $38.50 USD) for 5L. But right now SCA is having 15% off most STP oils, so expect to pay more like $47 AUD ( or $33 USD).

The local STP semi-synthetic 10W40, SN A3/B4, is $40 ($28 USD) for 5 L. But right now is on sale at $34 ( $24 USD).

To me STP is one of the good second-tier products we get along with others like Nulon and Chief oil. I'm sure they are fine, but I've never purchased any. The reason being, their regular price is better than name brand oils (Castrol, Mobil, Valvoline, Shell & Penrite) but we regularly see the name brands at 40 to 50% off, but the second tier stuff is mostly full price or at most 15 to 20% off. You get more oil for your money, if you plan ahead and wait for the big names to go on sale. I recently picked up 5L of Castrol GTX with an oil filter for $20 AUD (or $14 USD). That's a good price.

If they offered me STP full synthetic at 40% off a few times per year, I would probably give it a go. But as it stands, I tend to stick to the name brands at about half price.

Still, I like having a big selection on the shelves, it looks good and keeps the big players honest.

Yeah, completely agree.

So looking into STP a bit more, it looks like they are owned by Armored AutoGroup headquartered in Danbury, Conn., USA. With with direct operations in the United States, Canada, Australia and the U.K. and distributor relationships in approximately 50 countries. Their major labels are STP, Armor All and A/C Pro.

http://www.armoredautogroup.com/

The address Lexington Av, Painesville, OH, USA. Comes up a lot.

It looks like a lot bigger group than I first thought. Here is a nice bit of history
http://www.stp.com/about-stp/stp-history

Yes, they are fairly large. I remember years ago, when Armor All products were considered "bad" for one's dash pad, the recommendation was STP Son of a Gun. Well, there was a merger or a takeover, and that was the end of Son of a Gun. STP and Armor All both had their brand recognition, the former for additives and the latter for detailing products.

Of course, anyone who's skeptical about additives might turn their noses up at STP oil. And, everything is relative. ACEA rated oils make a lot more sense in Australia than they do up here, particularly from a smaller player like STP. People wanting ACEA specifications up here, particularly A3/B4, will be looking at either the major players because that's what's readily available and at a sensible price, or, they want to be snobs and they'll buy boutiques or imported oils. They won't likely be puttering around with STP oil. I cannot imagine an independent European garage here advertising STP oils on their signage.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Means when Aaron at the local SCA sends a customer up the back ...........I can find two decent oils at different price points.

Yeah, you're not wrong. Just look at full synthetic 5W-30 oils at SCA (regular prices for 5L).

Castrol Magnatec 5W-30, API SN & ACEA A3/B4, $57

Castrol Edge 5W-30, API SL, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, $70

Shell Helix HX8 5W-30, SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, $49

STP 5W-30, SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.3, Porsche A40, $55

Valvoline DX1 5W-30, SN, GF-5, Dexos-1, $65

All full synthetic, and I'm sure there are a few others like Penrite or Chief that I have missed. But that's a decent selection at various price point, and with various approvals. Of course, if you plan ahead you can often get these at 15 to 50 % off during sales in Australia.

I've only just started looking at STP oil, and I would happily give them a go, at the right price. Plus the Magnatec 5W-30 is very new and has only been around for a month or so.

It's hard to know which oil to use next.

I would be interested to see how the STP High Mileage stuff stands up after a recent experience. I bought some 10W40 for a push mower because it was what was available and figured this weight would be OK for a simple L-head mower engine. The mower started smoking and burning oil quite profusely after changing to this oil so I figured it was just about worn out. Anyway, I changed to the Rotella T6 5W40 after that change and the mower ran line a whole different machine. There was no smoke, no oil consumption, and it seemed to have a lot more power. Obviously it didn't like that STP.

Then I left the drained STP sitting in a clear plastic pan in a shed because I didn't have any empty oil containers to put it in at the time to get it recycled. When I went to drain it into an oil container a couple months later, the sludge had completely settled out of the oil and the oil was as clear as new. That oil was coal black when drained and then it settled out and was clear???? This tells me this might not be the best oil. Anyone have opinions about this oil? Maybe it isn't so bad in automotive use.

Conor

Maybe the STP oil cleaned the sludge out of the engine ?

I know nothing about STP oil or Rotella . Just guessing .

Best of luck to you , :)

I recently purchased some STP 5w40 A3/B4 for the Hyundai turbo. At $26/5qts, i can't complain. Especially when AZ often has oil+filter sales.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I recently purchased some STP 5w40 A3/B4 for the Hyundai turbo. At $26/5qts, i can't complain. Especially when AZ often has oil+filter sales.

Here's a little sale I saw at AZ just last week

I'm beginning to wonder why I go in that place they never have a good sale I've seen.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: wemay

Here's a little sale I saw at AZ just last week

I'm beginning to wonder why I go in that place they never have a good sale I've seen.

Near me there is an Auto Zone, AAP and Walmart all within less than 1 mile of each other. Even with their oil and oil filter deals they are way more expensive than Walmart. My sister in law always gives me gift cards to Auto Zone and AAP. I wait until they have the best deals/sales possible where I have to spend the least amount of my own money then I'll buy from them. It's free or near to free to me oil and or oil and filters, otherwise it's Walmart for oil and filters
grin.gif

Whimsey

I don't know. Yes, sludge and dirt came out of the engine on the STP change but the oil completely SETTLED out and was PERFECTLY CLEAR! The purpose of detergents is to keep sludge in suspension so it can be trapped by the filter or drained out with the old oil.

That 5W40 STP sounds like it is nothing to laugh at if it meets A3/B4 spec. I cannot find it on their site. http://www.stp.com/products/motor-oil I can also not find the 10W40 in question. The bottle is over at my GF's place so I can read the specs on it when I go over but it is in a red bottle. I plan to take it and use the remainder as chainsaw bar oil to get rid of it as I wasn't happy with the performance in the mower.

I agree that the parts stores overall have terrible oil deals compared to Wal-Mart. I only go to Wal-Mart once a month or so and one of the main reasons is to buy oil. Otherwise that place can rot in [censored]. I hate going there and only go when it would be stupid not to. Buying motor oil is one of those situations. I guess having a psycho employee of the store stalking and threatening you for over 6 months, having to file multiple police reports to make it stop, and have corporate and local management blow you off will make you feel that way.

Conor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back