STP Extended Life Oil Filter longevity

I've been searching for a filter to hold up long term (3+ years) but low mileage for a 1970 small block Chevy and came across a STP Extended Life Oil Filter S8873XL at Auto Zone. Previously used Fram TG30's but they are hard to find. I don't know if the STPs are any good or not. I've searched NAPA, Walmart, Auto Zone and Advance. Any other advice for a reasonably priced filter or is STP OK?

Personally, I would use a Fram ultra, and probably leave it on for probably 4 years. You say low mileage. How low mileage, and how are the miles put on? On my summer weekend cars that get only 1 to 2 k per year, and mostly longer drives, I change my ultra every 2 oil changes, and often run the oil 2 years.

I cant find Ultra's either. I probably put on about 400 - 500 miles per year and NEVER drive less than 20 miles per trip.

I currently have an STP XL filter on my Ody and have used them several times previousky, keeping them on for two 5k OCIs. Never any problems. This is a slightly different situation than the OP described but these filters are solid performers. I would have no problem leaving one one for 2 years.

However, based on the OP's description of 400-500 miles per year, I would do as Old1 suggested and get a Fram Ultra (from Amazon if necessary). I would then keep the same one for 3k miles (about 6 years).

Edit: I see NormanBuntz just mentioned the 5.99 Napa Platinum...I would use this instead of the ultra, just because!

Last edited:
I have and am using ACDelco or W*M ST oil filters on the Firebird in my signsture.
I may put on(lately) 700-1000 mile per summer. However I have put on >2000 in a summer but that's the exception & not the rule.

I usually do an OCI about every 2 years but I have gone 3 years. Under the valve covers & oil pan(gasket replacements) look awesome and the engine runs great even if these particular year pony cars weren't necessarily power houses.

Anywaaaaaay! I have cut open most oil filter on this Firebird and all our vehicles since becoming a BITOG member. And after 2-3 years/2K-3Kish miles of being on the engine, the filter looks great.

OP

Just order whatever you think will serve you well over the next 3 years or so. It's not like you need it tomorrow.
The internet is a wonderful thing !!!ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by kstanf150
OP

Just order whatever you think will serve you well over the next 3 years or so. It's not like you need it tomorrow.
The internet is a wonderful thing !!!ðŸ‘

Looking around it looks like the XG30 Fram specs is not available anywhere, the only place I could find one you could buy was on eBay in really old packaging that said Fram X2 before they upgraded the XG filters to dual layer media and Wal-Mart said they were available in store only and weren't available at my store, and Amazon doesn't have them either both the WalMart and Amazon pics were for the old school "Extended Gaurd" single layer filter. The only Fram Ultra that looks to be stocked anywhere with the 13/16-16 thread and the right size gasket is the slightly longer XG5.

Originally Posted by RyanY
I currently have an STP XL filter on my Ody and have used them several times previousky, keeping them on for two 5k OCIs. Never any problems. This is a slightly different situation than the OP described but these filters are solid performers. I would have no problem leaving one one for 2 years.

However, based on the OP's description of 400-500 miles per year, I would do as Old1 suggested and get a Fram Ultra (from Amazon if necessary). I would then keep the same one for 3k miles (about 6 years).

Edit: I see NormanBuntz just mentioned the 5.99 Napa Platinum...I would use this instead of the ultra, just because!

Unfortunately it doesn't look like NAPA has a Platum to fit a small block Chevy

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bamaro
Originally Posted by RyanY

It looks like if you want a Napa Platinum you might have to use the Napa Platinum PFL 41060 , it's the equivalent of the Fram XG5, these were the slightly longer filters used on trucks/vans/SUVs that came with a SBC, there should be plenty of space on your Camaro to fit the slightly longer filter, perhaps Fram and WIX don't make the smaller high end filters for the SBC anymore because they know that the kind of people that buy full synthetic oil filters would probably just buy the oversized part.

Last edited:

Hard to believe ... exactly what small block Chevy?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

It appears the problem is the OP is looking for fully synthetic filters and WIX doesn't make an XP (thus there is no Napa Platinum) and Fram seems to no longer make an Ultra for the short small block filter which is what most of the books recommend for passenger cars with Smallblocks, I'd assume he's talking about the 1970 Camaro in his signature which I'd suspect has the 350 in it over the 307, should have enough space to fit the longer WIX 51060XP(Napa Platinum Platinum 41060) or Fram XG5 that is spec'd for trucks with the small block.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

It appears the problem is the OP is looking for fully synthetic filters and WIX doesn't make an XP (thus there is no Napa Platinum) and Fram seems to no longer make an Ultra for the short small block filter which is what most of the books recommend for passenger cars with Smallblocks, I'd assume he's talking about the 1970 Camaro in his signature which I'd suspect has the 350 in it over the 307, should have enough space to fit the longer WIX 51060XP(Napa Platinum Platinum 41060) or Fram XG5 that is spec'd for trucks with the small block.

Fram's website shows the Ultra XG30 fits both the 307 ci and 350 ci V8 in the 1970 Camaro.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

Fram's website shows the Ultra XG30 fits both the 307 ci and 350 ci V8 in the 1970 Camaro.

The problem is no place seems to stock the XG30, any pictures I see of them are older looking, the only one I could find for sale was on eBay in the ancient Fram X2 branded packaging.

Back