Here's the STP Extended Life oil filter supplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
In threads like these, there have been guesses about who supplies Autozone's STP Extended Life oil filters. They're made in Korea, but unless I missed it I haven't seen any posts determining who makes them:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3829706/1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3830107/1

A post in this thread sent me down a rabbit hole researching the Korean auto supplier Daewha.

This page on their site says they are the supplier of the STP Extended Life oil filters:
http://www.daewha21c.co.kr/sub_eng/sub_01_02.php

Thank you for the info and link sir Wemay
smile.gif

It also says opened two factories in Kaesong NK? Also vietnam? Out of my comfort zone, auto zone. I wonder what their cost is on the $9 retail filter? I guess $2.

How can they(dewha) even compete since there is Champion Labs just 150 miles from Memphis?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It also says opened two factories in Kaesong NK? Also vietnam? Out of my comfort zone, auto zone. I wonder what their cost is on the $9 retail filter? I guess $2.

South Korea recently pulled out of Kaesong.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
it also says in 2012 they started making OIL and AIR filters for K&N

Yes, I forgot to add that. Good eye.

Yes that's why I stopped recommending the K&N oil filters because not only did they stop using champion labs but they reduced the quality and efficiency. Now they are only 85% efficient at 20 microns instead of 95% like they used to be when they were Mobil 1 clones.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yes that's why I stopped recommending the K&N oil filters because not only did they stop using champion labs but they reduced the quality and efficiency. Now they are only 85% efficient at 20 microns instead of 95% like they used to be when they were Mobil 1 clones.

And of course, they didn't pass the savings on to the customer. Same prices, but not as god filter
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

And of course, they didn't pass the savings on to the customer. Same prices, but not as god filter
frown.gif

Bingo! Worse yet, I'm certain their cost on these is lower. I'd be interested in these for about 5 bucks.

What's interesting to me is the topic filter, the STP Extended Life oil filter is rated 99%>20um which is quite good. But the K&N made by the same manufacturer is reported to be in the 85% range. Seems odd. Afaik, the K&N website lists 99% but unlike the STP XL no micron level is listed.

OP, good find.

sayjac - I may be wrong but I think K&N caters to the racing community. The STP Extended Life filter would target extended OCI / FCI for daily drivers. The racing community would want as free a flowing filter as possible. For the extended OCI / FCI, you would want high efficiency and capacity.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
What's interesting to me is the topic filter, the STP Extended Life oil filter is rated 99%>20um which is quite good. But the K&N made by the same manufacturer is reported to be in the 85% range. Seems odd. Afaik, the K&N website lists 99% but unlike the STP XL no micron level is listed.

OP, good find.

I don't doubt that it hits 99% efficiency at some level, i won't guess what it actually is but almost anything will hit 99% if you test it at 30 or 40 microns.

Source if you want it -

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ers#Post3106935

His post i will copy for you if you don't wanna find it.

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They now have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

Seen the reported K&N spec info numerous times. Unnecessary to post for me as I have my opinion on it, and it hasn't changed. So waste of bandwidth for me. I simply pointed out some possibly related information that can be found on the website. As I don't use K&N, I have no vested interest one way or the other. Just musing about what seemed to be an inconsistency or oddity.

But putting it back on topic, the topic'd STP XL is rated 99%>20um, which is unambiguous. Still, price point combined with coo would lead me elsewhere unless part of an excellent oil/filter promo or significant sale.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Anything from Motorking must be taken with a grain of salt.

Actually no it doesn't. He clearly indicates who he works for and gives the technical info as an employee of that company. If the info is not true he could easily be sued for libel by the competitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back