STP Extended Life Oil Filter longevity

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Originally Posted by Bamaro
Originally Posted by RyanY
I currently have an STP XL filter on my Ody and have used them several times previousky, keeping them on for two 5k OCIs. Never any problems. This is a slightly different situation than the OP described but these filters are solid performers. I would have no problem leaving one one for 2 years.

However, based on the OP's description of 400-500 miles per year, I would do as Old1 suggested and get a Fram Ultra (from Amazon if necessary). I would then keep the same one for 3k miles (about 6 years).

Edit: I see NormanBuntz just mentioned the 5.99 Napa Platinum...I would use this instead of the ultra, just because!

Unfortunately it doesn't look like NAPA has a Platum to fit a small block Chevy

It looks like if you want a Napa Platinum you might have to use the Napa Platinum PFL 41060 , it's the equivalent of the Fram XG5, these were the slightly longer filters used on trucks/vans/SUVs that came with a SBC, there should be plenty of space on your Camaro to fit the slightly longer filter, perhaps Fram and WIX don't make the smaller high end filters for the SBC anymore because they know that the kind of people that buy full synthetic oil filters would probably just buy the oversized part.

Thanks, I have used the longer filter in the past but didn't remember the number or how it cross-referenced to the NAPA Platnum or Fram Ultra
thumbsup2.gif

I cannot speak to the long-term viability of the STP extended life oil filters. But I will say, since you are running the filter multiple years on what sounds like may be a favorite vehicle of yours, I suggest opening your wallet and getting something truly premium quality. What is a few more dollars spread over three years' time?

Originally Posted by DGXR
I cannot speak to the long-term viability of the STP extended life oil filters. But I will say, since you are running the filter multiple years on what sounds like may be a favorite vehicle of yours, I suggest opening your wallet and getting something truly premium quality. What is a few more dollars spread over three years' time?

^this
A top quality filter is a good choice, but if not available then the point is moot. An alternative is to get a different filter (e.g., the STP XL mentioned above) and if it bothers you to leave it on for a long time, just change the filter every year or two. You only lose about .25 to .5 qt when the filter is removed, so not much oil is lost and the filter is always fresh. However I am not aware of any STP XL models failing, so I would just leave it on for a few years.

I would use an AC Delco (not the "E" series), Wix, NAPA Gold, or Mobil 1 filter. I was going to use an STP Extended Life filter on my upcoming oil changes but do not like the "cheap looking" base plate. The AC Delco "E" and the STP filter have that cheap looking stamped baseplate. I prefer the solid baseplate design.

Rockauto shows the Fram TG30, Bosch Distance Plus and Fram HP8 high performance for '70 Camaro 350

I would go with a Distance Plus

Back