Storing truck...change out oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting 97' Chevy (4.3L V6) away until March. Will be stored in a garage. I have 4000 miles on the PP 10-30, and truck is driven 95%+ highway. Oil wise, what should I do? Change out now, for clean oil during storage? Or change out fresh during the spring? Thanks.

I would change it out just for the reason that for the price of the oil change you will not have to give it a second thought.

I'd probably change it out since it has 4,000 miles. Fresh oil will probably do a better job at controlling corrosion from ambient moisture and any moisture that's in the oil from the engine running.

Change it, take it for a drive so the oil gets up to temp, then park it till March.

Don't do the method of starting it every week and just idling it and revving it. That just loads the engine with fuel and moisture!

At 4000 miles the additive pack in PP should still have the acids under control. That would argue for not changing it now, waiting until after you run it for a short trip in the spring.

I'd change it, it's not worth the risk. With PP $20 for 5 qts at Walmart, and a $15 rebate there is no reason not to change it.

Always Stabil. Its a long story, but I had to store it for two years before. A double dose of Stabil (per directions) and zero issues. This time (six months) I will use a single dose.

I have always been lead to believe that one should drain out the oil leaving the plug out, and remove the fill cap/dip stick so any moisture can evaporate.

I vote for the fresh oil. I do agree that today's cars and today's oils make it less critical.

I also vote for a full tank of gas. The less air in the tank, the less trouble with condensation. Stabil would not hurt, but that is a short enough time that I don't think it is really needed.

I would remove the battery and confirm it is well charged before bringing the car out of storage. I would also store it on jack stands, just enough to get the weight off the tires. Start with the tires fully or slightly over inflated.

The time you intend to keep it in storage is short enough you may not need to do any of this, but that is what I would do.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
I have always been lead to believe that one should drain out the oil leaving the plug out, and remove the fill cap/dip stick so any moisture can evaporate.

I would think that would let dust/small debris in the motor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back