stock market

Timing the market is impossible so I just bought somewhere around a $XXXXXXXUS worth of good preferred stocks late March 2020. Many were below or at $20 share with par of $25. All are NOW above par (BACPRB is ~$27.50, face yield is 6%, did a huge gut wrench purchase at $20.25, the kind where I warn the wife) and the all (Banks, insurance companies mostly - METPRE for example, bought at $18.50) pay me very nicely every quarter. This was a flash thing, and I told friends to check it. ONE GUY listened to me (he has since sold and moved into a fund). We both bought SYFPRA in the mid teens. I was angry though...........it was as low as $10 per share and Fidelity would NOT let my buy go through. I was PISSED. They said it was an illiquid stock (it was not) - they just didn't have time to sort through the rubble and threw everything in the same hopper and locked down certain preferred shares. I considered the whole affair fundamentally unfair to the little guy trying to get ahead. We had a bunch of back and forth..............then finally I got an official email of sorts in September 2020 with a cheesy apology from someone just below Abigail.

I bought REITs too, other things during the fire sale.

I have since sold a few of the higher fliers. I have some individual bonds, some funds, a few stocks, etc in my tax advantaged accounts. I also do a minor amount of options trading, selling calls mostly, sometimes I will sell put contracts. Not too much and not huge amounts. But up nicely. Something I recommend you at least learn about. One or a couple or 5 or 10 contracts on KO or other decent company is nothing to be so scared of. Irrational fear people have of options, is probably a good thing I suppose. It forces or at least suggests, serious investors get an education.

Tax accounts I don't trade, or change much. Municipal bonds and muni CEF's only.

No you can't time the market but you can hit the sales. I'm retired now.

So how much of the huge run-up since March did you miss out on?
Don't have a "strategy" that changes by year, or feelings, or anything abruptly.
I suggest you spend some time reading bogleheads
You can get the Bogleheads Guide to Investing book, used for $5 or so.

Here's a free short e-book that is geared towards younger investors, but espouses a similar philosophy and is worth the short time it takes to read it:
If You Can by William J. Bernstein
Would you believe me if I told you that there’s an investment strategy that a seven-year-old could
understand, will take you fifteen minutes of work per year, outperform 90 percent of finance
professionals in the long run, and make you a millionaire over time?

and an article from today to read too: Keep Calm and Carry On

I have The Intelligent Asset Investor by Bernstein and a couple of books by Professor William Sharpe. Two great investing minds.

I retired at 56 with a goal of funding my chosen life style for another 40 years without have to worry about money. Now 13+ years later I not only don't worry about money, I hardly even think of it (except when the market presents me with an offer I can't refuse). I am a slow and steady sort, budgeting just a 5% ROI against a 3.8% inflation, but averaging more like 8%. Now I just need to find more things to spend it on that enhance our quality of life. I won't waste money on a bigger house or luxury car - as it is we live in only half of our house and I am happy with my 2019 Altima 2.5 SL - but we did contracted for a built-in pool next year which is in the right direction.

The trajectory from Jan 1 2020 thru current has been up. I don't get emotional with highs or lows. The general line of investments since I started at age 21 has been nothing but up now 48.

I sold a bunch of stuff late last year cause I felt the bull run was coming to an end. I even sent some PMs (about 5 people) to a few members on BITOG to ask them of their game plan and investing strategies.

I had a lump sum amount of cash when Covid shut down the country earlier this year and I missed the bottom by a few weeks. When they started pumping in trillions of dollars back in I simply repurchased everything I had sold in Oct 2019 and have made a little money YTD.

I like: S&P 500 ETF, technology ETFs, 2X and 3X leveraged ETFs , large cap and mega cap growth ETFs..... nothing crazy but a nice mix of quality ETFs. I also own a few shares of Amazon, Apple, Tesla and a few others.

Last edited:
My wonder is if financial planners were so good they wouldn't need your money to eat.
Now that I'm more mature, I am aware that financial planners are really to help you avoid making stupid mistakes like not diversifying at all, or forget about anything that you need to do to protect yourself (like not investing based on your financial goal, leveraging to gamble in stock market based on rumors).

It is not there to help you pick the winning stock out of the average.

Paid off my mortgage this year on all my properties. Steady on my 401k to get company matches, but i am all in on a few stocks I am familiar and confident with and so far they have been doing very well. They did dip a bit back a few months and a year ago, and I bought more.

Now that I have no mortgage my risk tolerance is sky high, and this enable me to take on speculative bets that I otherwise would not do. My cash is less than 100k and I am early 40s, so I can bet big and have infinite length investment horizon (basically I can retire and live off my asset if I want).

Thinking about getting some airline and hotel stocks but I still don't think I like the concept of cruise lines, I am just not familiar enough with it because I don't like it. I also dislike dividend stocks, partly because of CA state income tax and partly because I don't trust them (easy to cook the book), and hard to see past accounting fraud unlike companies with good products and easy to trust its business well being.

DRAM, NAND, and hard drive companies are always in a cycle so maybe I'll get some, they are usually very predictable.

My wonder is if financial planners were so good they wouldn't need your money to eat.
Please take no offense, but this is like me saying I don't need a surgeon if I need surgery.
There are so many ways to invest, products, etc. How could a layman possible begin to know about them?
BITOG is pretty good, but ....

Maybe you are far more knowledgeable than I am; if so right on!
The fairly recent product that was recommended, based on my needs, was a California Municipal Bond fund.
In CA, I pay at least 10% on top of the Feds cut. This fund, while the return is low, is double tax free and about as safe as you will find.
I never would have known...
Best of luck in your investing!

Please take no offense, but this is like me saying I don't need a surgeon if I need surgery.
There are so many ways to invest, products, etc. How could a layman possible begin to know about them?
BITOG is pretty good, but ....

Maybe you are far more knowledgeable than I am; if so right on!
The fairly recent product that was recommended, based on my needs, was a California Municipal Bond fund.
In CA, I pay at least 10% on top of the Feds cut. This fund, while the return is low, is double tax free and about as safe as you will find.
I never would have known...
Best of luck in your investing!
No offense taken at all !! I just wonder. Though needing a surgeon vs a financial planner is different Though the financial planner can educate .

No offense taken at all !! I just wonder. Though needing a surgeon vs a financial planner is different Though the financial planner can educate .
I guess I am saying, I cannot compete with someone who studies the investment products for a living.
And that person only succeeds (keeps his/her job) if his/her customers succeed and are satisifed.
Having said this, I an a Schwab customer. They can only "sell" me a product they offer.
An independent financial analyst does not have that limitation. At least that's my understanding.

As a corroection, I misspoke in post #12. I have Schwab "Private Client" not "Intelligent Portfolio".
They are completely different products geared for different investors.
Mea culpa.

Private client verses the non private client ?
🤔

Vanguard also has similar ‘levels’ of customer investment products.

Private client verses the non private client ?
🤔

Vanguard also has similar ‘levels’ of customer investment products.

It’s a different level and gives you access to more benefits like one on one planning and other things. I have the same type of account with American Century. I really appreciate the service.

I'm going to keep on with my current strategy of buy low, sell high, and hold onto decent growth stocks with worthwhile yields for the long term.

I always keep my eyes and ears open for solid companies well positioned for recovery after periods of poor performance, and I buy when the time seems right to me. It's been working pretty well so far. Time will tell.

Don‘t forgetting to have some cash on the sidelines , I agree with you on to “keep your eyes and ears open”....

There is no perfect way to invest. Higher risk for higher reward.

It’s easy to get to the $1M with a basic S&P 500 fund with steady contributions over time. There’s a few folks at my employer that got to the $1M mark with their 401K with disciplined investing.

I told him that when he was up to say 100K. So much for my advice. He pointed out that its less than 20% of his worth. Yea..lucky him. I'm still waiting for him to deliver my Z4..lol
I think Bitcoin will continue to go up.

I'm retired Federal LEO and my money is still in the TSP and still all in stocks. I have a pension that I can comfortably live on so I don't worry about the ups and downs of the market and don't use my TSP to live on.

Even with the big drop in Feb, my account is higher than it has ever been. I don't plan on changing a thing.

Back