Stock advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf,

I agree this K shaped recovery is a little crazy.
50M+ people out of work and food bank lines stretching for miles, while others are riding this wave up and up.

I still believe 2021 is when the first domino falls when foreclosures and evictions begin...

Last edited:
My NAK stock is up 94.59 % as of today for 1 year.
I'm good with that.
And it's up 259.38 % for 5 years.
I've had this stock since 12-9-2016.

Yeah, it went from 0.6 to 1.15. hope you have hundreds of thousands of it

See so many people taking crazy risks with investing, but most are gambling with $2000-$5000 and talking like they are Warren Buffet. I feel their tune would change when they have $500k on the line with each investment.

See so many people taking crazy risks with investing, but most are gambling with $2000-$5000 and talking like they are Warren Buffet. I feel their tune would change when they have $500k on the line with each investment.
And you can just imagine how the number move on a daily basis when you're up like that and the market either goes up a lot or down a lot. Getting some whiplash the last few days with super highs for the day, then gone the next, then back again. You can end up with change in the 5 digit range.

And you can just imagine how the number move on a daily basis when you're up like that and the market either goes up a lot or down a lot. Getting some whiplash the last few days with super highs for the day, then gone the next, then back again. You can end up with change in the 5 digit range.

Ya, has been a fun ride, but if you are actually investing, you have a long term vision, so the ups and downs don’t mean much.

Ya, has been a fun ride, but if you are actually investing, you have a long term vision, so the ups and downs don’t mean much.
Yeah, in a good market downturn, you can be down well into the 6 figures. But you can also be up well into the 6 figures over the last few years when the market has been up. So 4-5 digits on a daily basis is nothing.

Just to throw out a success story from a completely uneducated (aka Robinhood wannabe) guy that's playing around with a few dollars in the market:

I picked up 9 shares of Plug Power back in early spring for an average of $4.86 a share. It's sitting at $18.99 as of this evening. I have no idea how I got so lucky, but I'll certainly take a 280% return in 7 months! It's taking all my will power not to sell, but I see significant growth potential over the next 12 months so I'm sitting tight.

To win big.... you have to bet big.

Nothing wrong with taking on some risk for more reward.

I made some nice realized gains this year with: AMZN, large cap growth, mega cap growth, technology, 2X and 3X leveraged technology ETFs. Every person has a different level of risk and investment style.

Are BITOG folks taking profits before the storm on the horizon ?

Last edited:
To win big.... you have to bet big.

Nothing wrong with taking on some risk for more reward.

I made some nice realized gains this year with: AMZN, large cap growth, mega cap growth, technology, 2X and 3X leveraged technology ETFs. Every person has a different level of risk and investment style.

Are BITOG folks taking profits before the storm on the horizon ?

There is a storm coming? You must have a good crystal ball?

Just to throw out a success story from a completely uneducated (aka Robinhood wannabe) guy that's playing around with a few dollars in the market:

I picked up 9 shares of Plug Power back in early spring for an average of $4.86 a share. It's sitting at $18.99 as of this evening. I have no idea how I got so lucky, but I'll certainly take a 280% return in 7 months! It's taking all my will power not to sell, but I see significant growth potential over the next 12 months so I'm sitting tight.

So you spent $43.74 on 9 shares and now it's worth $151.92 or a profit of $108.18. Have you funded your IRA for the last 5 years? At $5500-$6000 for the last 5 years, you'd probably have at least 30k or more by now. If you had invested that 30k into those shares at $4.86 a share, you'd have about an 87k gain. Which is real money. That 108.18 is basically pocket change. Not that we would really advise you to invest everything in one stock, probably no more than 10% of your portfolio.

There is a storm coming? You must have a good crystal ball?
Yeah, I thought the storm was called off. The market doesn't like uncertainty and they seem to think that the presidential election is going to go a certain way now. Markets have been up under both parties.

But who knows, the storms come and go all the time. Mine is cloudy right now. Always has been, time for a new one probably.

So you spent $43.74 on 9 shares and now it's worth $151.92 or a profit of $108.18. Have you funded your IRA for the last 5 years? At $5500-$6000 for the last 5 years, you'd probably have at least 30k or more by now. If you had invested that 30k into those shares at $4.86 a share, you'd have about an 87k gain. Which is real money. That 108.18 is basically pocket change. Not that we would really advise you to invest everything in one stock, probably no more than 10% of your portfolio.

You're exactly right. My IRA is completely safe, it's a mixture of funds that provide steady 8-12% returns year over year. I believe I started contributing around 2011. I throw 10% of each paycheck into it, with a 3% match by my employer (small business, lucky to even get that). The Robinhood thing is PURELY for fun, I'm not trying to make any "tangible" gains. That would be foolish, I know less than nothing about how to play the markets. I just find it fascinating, so why not have a little fun and make a little money at the same time?

PimTac,

My crystal ball was flashing red last year warning me the bull run was quickly coming to an end. I sold everything and was 100% cash pre Covid..... I got back in this year missing the bottom by 2 weeks. I rode the wave up and now 90% cash.

Now my crystal ball is flashing red again, this time warning me of the 2021 toxic debt bubble and massive waves of foreclosures / commercial real estate crash, consumer debt bubble, evictions and fast approaching housing bubble 2.0

My crystal ball says for me to warn people to head for the exit....

Last edited:
You're exactly right. My IRA is completely safe, it's a mixture of funds that provide steady 8-12% returns year over year. I believe I started contributing around 2011. I throw 10% of each paycheck into it, with a 3% match by my employer (small business, lucky to even get that). The Robinhood thing is PURELY for fun, I'm not trying to make any "tangible" gains. That would be foolish, I know less than nothing about how to play the markets. I just find it fascinating, so why not have a little fun and make a little money at the same time?
Being too conservative is just as dangerous as being too aggressive. But if it helps you sleep at night. I'm just happy to be at or above the S&P 500. You don't always get 8-12% a year, but you also get those 20-30% returns. They've been saying those days are over since the 2000's.

LOL. I have a good friend that just started investing and he's the same way. He's like, man if I had $100,000 to invest, I'd be a millionaire by now.

LOL. I have a good friend that just started investing and he's the same way. He's like, man if I had $100,000 to invest, I'd be a millionaire by now.
$100,000 is really not a crazy amount of money.

Problem is that people get greedy and make some high risk investments and loose 90% of that $100,000

$100,000 is really not a crazy amount of money.

Problem is that people get greedy and make some high risk investments and loose 90% of that $100,000

Yup. He started with $600 and grew it to $3000. This was during the time when sports betting was basically non-existent so he had nothing to do with his gambling funds. His approach, and I believe it effective, is to just join the herd and drive up a popular stock's price. $100,000 is enough money that if I lost 90% of it, I'd lose a lot of sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back