Stihl Trimmer - Hesitation When Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a used Stihl FS 55RC trimmer. When the engine is hot, it runs fine. But when the engine is still cold (2-4 minutes) it usually stalls out when I try to give it any throttle. Sometimes I can give it some throttle, but the speed doesn't increase.

Once things warm up - everything runs like it should. Any thoughts? I was thinking about picking up filters/plug tomorrow just because I'm not sure when they were last changed - but wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with these engines.

Thanks!

Don't get too worried about it. All small engines sold today have to meet EPA emission standards. In order to do it, many, many engines start a little harder and run a little rough until warm. When you start it, do you prime it 5 or 6 times? Do you choke it fully? Squeeze the throttle to max? Pull the rope until it "kicks"? Put to half choke with the throttle still pegged and pull until it starts? Do you run it wide open, half-choked for 15 or so seconds, then move the choke to run position afterwards? You don't need any fancy parts to make it work, just patience. Kind of preachy huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back