Stihl FS 40 C replacement head

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
Is there anyone out there familiar with the Stihl FS 40 C line trimmer? If so do you know of any compatible replacement heads for this unit? The OEM head is the old school wind up the string design, which always seems to jam up. I absolutely hate using this trimmer but rather not sell it off out of frustration. I find myself using my Echo trimmer that is a breeze to reload and use, never any jamming with that design.

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there familiar with the Stihl FS 40 C line trimmer? If so do you know of any compatible replacement heads for this unit. The OEM head is the old school wind up the string design, which always seems to jam up. I absolutely hate using this trimmer but rather not sell it off out of frustration. I find myself using my Echo trimmer that is a breeze to reload and use, never any jamming with that design.
Dude, I can't load that line correctly to save my life. Got the same trimmer.

Dude, I can't load that line correctly to save my life. Got the same trimmer.
It's a shame because you can tell its a quality unit, but the head design is so **** aggravating to use! I am done with that trimmer unless there is an easy to use replacement head for this thing. Hopefully someone in the the BITOG community can help us out here.

THANK YOU. Gonna give it a try.
I wouldn't try it. In the description of the that head on Amazon it say's it "does not fit Stihl curved shaft trimmers". If anyone has facts or definite answers to my question please feel free to answer on this thread.

I wouldn't try it. In the description of the that head on Amazon it say's it "does not fit Stihl curved shaft trimmers". If anyone has facts or definite answers to my question please feel free to answer on this thread.
You're right, and checking on the Echo site, the FS 40 C does not appear in the Stihl list for compatibility.

Is there anyone out there familiar with the Stihl FS 40 C line trimmer? If so do you know of any compatible replacement heads for this unit? The OEM head is the old school wind up the string design, which always seems to jam up. I absolutely hate using this trimmer but rather not sell it off out of frustration. I find myself using my Echo trimmer that is a breeze to reload and use, never any jamming with that design.
Amazon and Jacks small engines have a quick replacement head option. I have the fs 38 and it's easy. You wind the top section then the bottom and snap the line into the notch. Insert the bump head and pull the line. It will pop into place.

Amazon and Jacks small engines have a quick replacement head option. I have the fs 38 and it's easy. You wind the top section then the bottom and snap the line into the notch. Insert the bump head and pull the line. It will pop into place.
Do you have a model or part number?

Do you have a model or part number?
Three different Stihl heads will fit their curved shaft trimmers. If you have the older C5-2 head, you can upgrade to the newer C6-2 trimmer head. Otherwise, you can downgrade from C6-2 to the older C5-2 head. Note that heads designed for straight shaft trimmers won't work for curved shaft trimmers since they rotate in opposite directions. Check out the video below.

Last edited:
I would visit your local Stihl dealer and ask them for input. My neighbor has the same issue so I rewound hers last weekend. It seems to be working but I told her she probably needs a different style head. Again I suggested our local dealer.

Just my $0.02

I don't have a Stihl, but is the shaft interchangeable? Just change the shaft with a newer head.

Back