Iridium plug for stihl trimmer?

I Googled stihl fs38 spark plug cross reference number. The autolite iridium came up as a match from napa. Maybe it was a mistake?
No - I've done more research and believe it to be correct. Autolite 2974 is the recommended plug for my BG86 blower and the XST2974 appears to be the Iridium version of it. I just ordered one to be delivered to my local NAPA.

Last edited:
Next day delivery to my local NAPA store - such wonderful service!

IMG_4704[1].JPG

My chainsaw was refusing to start when hot so I decided to try the Autolite Iridium plug. It doesn't appear to have helped much but the saw is running well once it does start.

IMG_4745[1].JPG

I don't see how it would make a difference either way. 100-LL Avgas has 100 octane, that is achieved by introducing large amounts of Tetraethyl Lead into it. (There is nothing "low" about the amount of lead in, "low lead" Avgas).

That's pretty much how high octane, leaded "Ethyl", (now commonly referred to as "Premium"), was in the 60's before we went to unleaded motor fuels.

Leaded fuel fouled plugs faster, and 2-stroke engines foul plugs fast enough as it is. My guess is that today's 2-stroke engines would run better on unleaded, non Ethanol Premium, (mixed with the proper amount of 2- cycle oil), than they would on 100-LL Avgas.
Supposedly 100LL is limited to 2 grams of lead per gallon.

I just got mine in a couple of days ago and am looking forward to how it'll run.
I cut down a tree last night with the original Bosch plug then cut it up today with the new Autolite Iridium plug. The saw seems to be producing noticably more RPMs with the new plug. Now if I could just figure out why it doesn't like to start when hot... That's a relatively new development.

I plan to order another one of these for the Stihl leaf blower that was the original target for this plug. That machine typically takes three pulls to start when cold. We'll see if that changes.

You have a problem not plug related and you can’t rely on you ear to tell anything about the tune or rpm’s.

You will never get an impulse operated carb piece of equipment to start on the first pull. It needs the impulse from the engine turning to get the gas through the carb.

Supposedly 100LL is limited to 2 grams of lead per gallon.
.45g/ Liter for the blue 100LL and 1.29g/ Liter for the "grape juice " ie purple fuel. Apparently the reno air races would bust out the purple stuff for the weekend.

Back