Stihl Trimmer Hard Start

Was on my deck a few days ago and heard my neighbor struggling to start his trimmer. After a few minutes I went over and he said he’s had trouble starting it lately even though he bought it new last season. He said the gas was fresh but who knows. After a few more pulls it started but when he started trimming, I noticed he would continually pull and release the throttle trigger in quick succession never allowing the motor to fully rev. Is it possible that running the motor like this is causing his trimmer to have those hard start issues?

Was on my deck a few days ago and heard my neighbor struggling to start his trimmer. After a few minutes I went over and he said he’s had trouble starting it lately even though he bought it new last season. He said the gas was fresh but who knows. After a few more pulls it started but when he started trimming, I noticed he would continually pull and release the throttle trigger in quick succession never allowing the motor to fully rev. Is it possible that running the motor like this is causing his trimmer to have those hard start issues?
Depends on what 2 stroke oil he was using, if it was Stihl Ultra I can see where he was having an issue! If he was using Amsoil Saber Pro then he would not have this problem.

No, the hard starting is likely do to poor fuel quality or bad starting technique. If he is running 2 stroke dino oil, advise him to go with a name brand full synthetic 2-stroke oil. I prefer the VP Racing or ECHO Red Armor oil. The orange bottle Stihl oil is garbage in my experience, but the silver bottle Stihl Ultra full synthetic is OK, but not as good as VP or ECHO full synthetic.

For all Stihl 2-cycle OPE, their factory recommended starting technique is extremely critical. If the engine is cold, push the gas primer bulb 5 times, set full choke and pull it 2-3 times until you hear it "pop". Then, you must open up the choke and pull again until it starts. Continuing to pull with the choke set on will flood the engine. Don't set the choke if restarting a warm engine.

Last edited:
I'd guess that it is due to the fact that it is a Stihl.
I'm a not so proud owner of two of their pieces.
While new, I returned piece #2 to the dealer, and even the tech in the back had a hard time getting it started.
His customer service tip was " They're all that way."
Many others on line seem to agree that they are hard starting.
I openly take the blame for my situation though. I should have learned my lesson after piece #1.

It is under warranty, take it back to the dealer.
FWIW, I'm just a homeowner but I have a Stihl trimmer, edger, blower, chainsaw and pole trimmer. I get 5 gallons of non ethanol from my local marina every season and I use the VP 2 stroke oil at 40:1. Never any issues at all.

Hard starting and poor running can be a lot of things. Blockages in the carb, improper carb adjustment, poor fuel, water in the fuel, breaks in the fuel lines, spark plug issues (gap, fouling, cracks, etc), worn piston/rings/cylinder, clogged anti-spark screens in the exhaust, or leaking crankshaft end seals.

Throw it away and go electric. Mine starts every single time with no real effort!
That's not a bad idea for a lot of home owners who have small sub-urban lots, but not so great when you have a hour or more of line trimming to do away from outlets.

My Stihl starts even after sitting for weeks at a time . I use Stihl 2 stroke oil . I've never even seen Amsoil 2 stroke oil ...

+1 for the Amsoil Saber. Gives you more power by allowing more gas with less oil at 100:1. Also keeps exhaust much cleaner. That being said, I’ve had no issues with our old MS250 running with anything I throw in it. Starts the second pull every time.

I have a Stihl edger, trimmer, blower and a Dirt Boss power washer. They all start very easily on the first or second pull; even the FC55 which is 23 years old. I guess that's why I still by stihl.

1000003345.jpg

20240506_144928.jpg

20240506_144837.jpg

Depends on what 2 stroke oil he was using, if it was Stihl Ultra I can see where he was having an issue! If he was using Amsoil Saber Pro then he would not have this problem.
This is not the case. Two stroke oil may vary in quality, but just is not the issue with hard starting. The likely culprit is old gas. Second possibilty is a fouled plug. It is just not about varying qualities of oil. BWT, I am virtually certain Stihl Ultra is just fine.

No, the hard starting is likely do to poor fuel quality or bad starting technique. If he is running 2 stroke dino oil, advise him to go with a name brand full synthetic 2-stroke oil. I prefer the VP Racing or ECHO Red Armor oil. The orange bottle Stihl oil is garbage in my experience, but the silver bottle Stihl Ultra full synthetic is OK, but not as good as VP or ECHO full synthetic.

For all Stihl 2-cycle OPE, their factory recommended starting technique is extremely critical. If the engine is cold, push the gas primer bulb 5 times, set full choke and pull it 2-3 times until you hear it "pop". Then, you must open up the choke and pull again until it starts. Continuing to pull with the choke set on will flood the engine. Don't set the choke if restarting a warm engine.

I just put some VP Racing in my Stihl blower after emptying out the true fuel that was in there and it seems to run and rev much better.

This is not the case. Two stroke oil may vary in quality, but just is not the issue with hard starting. The likely culprit is old gas. Second possibilty is a fouled plug. It is just not about varying qualities of oil. BWT, I am virtually certain Stihl Ultra is just fine.

2 stroke does vary by quality!
Never had a fouled plug when using Amsoil Saber Pro!
I have to say that Stihl Ultra is a junky 2 stroke oil, I have seen it with hard starting and a terrible smell, whereas Amsoil Saber Pro starts easier and does not have a bad smell. The only 2 stroke oil that might be better in a Trimmer might be Bel Ray HR-1 or maybe Maxima K2

My Sthil combi is 10 years old. For the first 4 years I ran Sthil ultra premixed fuel cans. After that I went with Amsoil Saber at 80-100:1. Runs like a tank. After owing it for 6 months I took out the spark screen in the muffler. If that gets clogged the engine will run poor.

Mine will not tolerate old fuel even if its E0 or treated. Since I don't use it much I usually keep the tank drained and then prime it with 100% 2 stroke oil in the tank before letting it sit.

If he is using the Stihl oil running it like that will plug the spark arrestor screen quicker, and then soon it will never start until the screen is cleaned.

Throw it away and go electric. Mine starts every single time with no real effort!
We made this change a few years back. Always starts, and vibrates significantly less than 2-stroke trimmers. Will do our whole yard 2x+ on a single charge. Bought the matching blower, was so impressed with the trimmer. Ryobi 40v, if anyone is wondering. Also eliminates having to fuss with and keep separate 2 gas cans. The boys always worried me when they'd help out, terrified they'd put straight gas in the trimmer.

Only knock is that it takes 4 hrs to recharge from flat with the included chatgers, so I try to stay on top of battery charging as to not have that ruin our "yard work weekend happy fun times"! 😄

My Dewalt electric string trimmer just died, for the second time. First time the speed control went out, fixed under warranty. Now? I'm not sure, but the warranty is over, and parts are not cheap.

I'm in California, where they outlawed selling new gas powered lawn equipment starting this year. I took a flier, and ordered an SRM-2620T Echo off ebay. I was expecting the order to be cancelled, but shipping notice came through today. As soon as I can confirm tracking, I'm going to buy some oil. We can't get pure gasoline in my area, so I'm stuck with E10. Using Marine Stabil in my garage gas can has saved the day, though, and I've yet to have any problems with equipment that sits around for a long time since I started using that stuff.

Back