Stihl String Trimmer ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an FS56 which was Made in Japan. It's 20+ yrs old (was my fathers'). I perform 0 maintenance -- other than filling with good fuel mixture, changed plug, and obviously replace string. It still runs like new. I put it away with fuel in it for the winter, and it starts up every spring. I always use Sta Bil in my OPE fuel. It usually starts within 4-5 pulls.

Echo has also been a pain in the a$$ to there dealers about covering warranty issues. Not that they wont cover them, but Echo has wasted more of my time doubting my diag on failure than all other oems combined. After you have jumped through all there hoops, and mailed the failed unit in for them to see what you already told them they will approve the warranty. Im sure Echo has been burned by plenty of false claims, but no other ope maker is any different. Lots of poorly run, desperate shops out there willing to lie to a rep, or a customer to make a buck. If Echo would spend more time teaching there techs in there updates, instead of pitching there product lineup they may find the confidence to trust the techs working to keep there name alive. They will keep you on the phone for an half an hour, then want you to call the customer for interrogation reasons, then call them back and want you to mail it off. The real kick in the pants is when after all that they pay out 5tenths of an hour to install a piston and cylinder kit. Dealers total time 1.5 hrs. total time paid .5hrs. Coustomer out a trimmer unitl echo sends it back for the repair, sometimes 3 weeks.
I'm a Stihl fan for more than one reason.

Sorry for the rant, but Echo can make me mad.

P.S. I own a srm2100 echo and love it.

+1 for Stihl.

The hardest thing to get over about a Stihl is the price tag. But after you take the plunge you wont regret it.

It is pretty hard to go wrong with a Stihl. I have a low end Stihl FS36 string trimmer that is going on 12 years old that still runs as strong as the day I bought it. Just use a good brand of fresh gas (89 octane), run a good 50:1 TC rated 2 cycle oil and some occasional maintenance (change spark plug every 100 hours, clean spark arrestor screen)

Some of the plastic trim is starting to get a little ragged, but the engine always starts and runs strong.

You pay more, but over the long haul the Stihl will last 5x longer than a cheapo string trimmer

I had a Kioritz (Echo) straight shaft brushcutter for many years,I used blades and string heads on it and hammered it on big stuff for years.

I replaced it with a Stihl FS38 curved shaft 7 years ago as I only needed a trimmer by then.But,I have had to clear a couple of sections,and used the poly head cutter which worked well.It's had a harder life than I anticipated,and have had to replace the string head,and the bottom bearing (real cheap!),the muffler blocked for the first time a couple of months ago (a little castor oil in the mix) and sometime I must replace the prime button.I've never touched the sparkplug.

Stihl,Husqvana,Echo...in that order.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
+1 for Stihl.

The hardest thing to get over about a Stihl is the price tag. But after you take the plunge you wont regret it.

+2 for Stihl

I also highly recommend Stihls synthetic 2-stroke oil in the white bottle. It has a fuel stabilizer and I mix it a little heavier than recommended at 4 ounces per gallon and I have never fouled a plug.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I also highly recommend Stihls synthetic 2-stroke oil in the white bottle. It has a fuel stabilizer

Even the mineral Stihl 2-stroke oil has fuel stabilizer in it.

The fs55r is an open port two stroke that warms up quickly, and has lots of power to spare. There is a throttle cable adjustment above the carb you should keep your eye on over the years. The adjustment requires a t27 torques head. Pull the trigger into full throttle and adjust the carb until it is then in wot.

Stihl, Echo (and probly Husky) are very well built - almost enjoyable compared to cheap products. I abuse my Echo (I do not store it properly for winter - sorry to admit) and it always starts right up in the spring - even with old gas in it. 10+ years old so far.

Sorry to bump a year old thread, but I am interested in a stihl and do not want the 4-mix engine. What is the best Stihl trimmer I can get with the regular 2 stroke engine? Their website is less than helpful figuring out which engine is on what model.

Don't know if they make them yet, but Tanaka is a good brand. My dad had one he bought new in 83 and it never gave him any trouble. He passed away this past november, so I'll have to see if I can get it running again here in the next couple weeks. Its a monster, it has handles about the size of bicycle handle bars and he had a shoulder harness that you wore and hung it off your side to help support the weight. He had a saw blade he would put on the end of it (10" or 12", can't remember) and use it to cut down small sapplings and brush around the house

I was basically settled on a nice full crank echo or a stihl, and decided to go with the stihl because I have a good dealer/support network right here.

I want one of the "pro" line so probably in the area of FS70, FS80, or FS90. Straight shaft, non-bumpfeed head, and it might be nice to have an edger attachment if I can get one with the swappable shaft system.

So I stopped by the dealer, it looks like ALL of the pro units are 4-mix engines, and all of the homeowner are standard 2 stroke. I kinda wanted a pro, but also wanted a regular 2 stroke...
Another advantage of the pro's are the solid shaft allowing different heads to attach (edger, pruner, cultivator, etc) but without the expense of the kombi system.

You can get a FS90R(there is no FS80 duh) for 319.95, and a edger head for 159.95.
Or you can get the KM90R kombi system egine for 319.95, and add an edger and trimmer head for 179.95, and 39.95 on sale.

I guess the extra 59.95 would be for the convenience of a no tool head swap, but I don't think using a tool would bother me.

I guess my two questions now are, are the 4mix engines bullitproof? And, is using a straight shaft edger comfortabe/works well?

2-mix-gif.gif

I just found this, can anyone confirm that the FS70 still has a 2-mix engine and not the 4 mix? I guess that would bridge the gap between pro and regular 2 stroke... And it costs less to boot.

Yup, the 70 is still a 2 mix, but its not authorized for head attachments... fubar.
frown.gif

The Stihl FS250 is a 2-stroke commercial--it's a workhorse, heavy, and highly praised by the the commercial guys who have them. But it's heavy and on the expensive side for trimmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back