Best string trimmer head?

We have weeds since we got so much rain. I have an echo SRM 225 Wacker and it does a good job. Except the head wears out quickly.

It's plastic and you bump it on the ground to get more string out of it. The last one didn't last. I used the string that came with it then I reloaded it once and it's junk now. Worn out.

I bought some generic ones but they won't even screw onto my machine. Anyone recommend a better one?

I prefer husqvarna heads but I’ve seen people modify their speed feed heads by putting a bolt through the bottom so it’s steel that taps the ground and not plastic.

We have weeds since we got so much rain. I have an echo SRM 225 Wacker and it does a good job. Except the head wears out quickly.

It's plastic and you bump it on the ground to get more string out of it. The last one didn't last. I used the string that came with it then I reloaded it once and it's junk now. Worn out.

I bought some generic ones but they won't even screw onto my machine. Anyone recommend a better one?
The Speedfeed 400 is the best in my opinion. You can make them more substantial like in the video above. Stop tapping it on concrete and it will last five times longer.

Maruyama makes a head that has a steel insert on the bottom of the trimmer head but it doesn't fit an Echo.

The Speedfeed 400 is the best in my opinion. You can make them more substantial like in the video above. Stop tapping it on concrete and it will last five times longer.

Maruyama makes a head that has a steel insert on the bottom of the trimmer head but it doesn't fit an Echo.

My elder brother has a Maruyama weed trimmer I've spoke of before. Made in Japan. Looks like the best trimmer you can buy on planet earth. Every aspect of his trimmer makes any Echo, Still or Husqurvarna look cheap in comparison. The head to shaft housing is aluminum, not plastic. Solid polished steel drive shaft, 5 year commercial warranty. I think no one wants to sell them because they never come back for service?

My elder brother has a Maruyama weed trimmer I've spoke of before. Made in Japan. Looks like the best trimmer you can buy on planet earth. Every aspect of his trimmer makes any Echo, Still or Husqurvarna look cheap in comparison. The head to shaft housing is aluminum, not plastic. Solid polished steel drive shaft, 5 year commercial warranty. I think no one wants to sell them because they never come back for service?

That’s a toy compared to my commercial Sthil that puts out twi as much HP.

Maruyama makes a 42 CC trimmer. Stihl's largest is 38 CC's, unless;ess you're counting the brush cutter.
Your claim that no other MFG can build a quality unit is just absolutely false .In fact we know for a fact they do by the thousands of Hrs on many units from many Manufacturers posted on this site that run problem free for years and years. You just happen to post one of them but yes I would put my Sthil FS240 against anything that company builds.

my Sthil FS240

Maruyama makes a 42 CC trimmer.

Such cute little things. 🤣 :p

Here's what I have. 53.3 cc's

I have the saw blade head, string trimmer head and grass blade head for it. The string trimmer head with the thick 0.155" line will take down small saplings by itself. I ordered it from Europe, they don't sell this version in the states.

Last edited:

When you get into commerical units they’re all extremely durable. I use Husqvarna mostly in my lawn biz due to availability, ergonomics, and weight but have tested Maruyama trimmers. Didn’t find them any better than husky/stihl/echo but I would have no qualms running them if the situation called for it.

Very quiet head

F72608FA-BED8-4DE2-B557-EF1A69A9CAB5.jpg

You can keep all of your brands if it isn't RedMax then i don't want it.
Speed feed tops them all and stop bumping the head on concrete and it will last longer.

I bumped the head trimmer on the grass. Never it on hard surfaces (such as soil, concrete, etc)
What is this grass you speak of?

Just got back from home Depot. The speed feed that blew apart yesterday was made in China. The one I bought this morning was made in USA. Hoping it lasts longer than 1 tank of gas

Attachments

• IMG_20230408_085753613.jpg
    IMG_20230408_085753613.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20230408_085735521.jpg
    IMG_20230408_085735521.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 27
What is this grass you speak of?

Just got back from home Depot. The speed feed that blew apart yesterday was made in China. The one I bought this morning was made in USA. Hoping it lasts longer than 1 tank of gas
I have a Toro string trimmer which converts to curve & straight shaft attachments (the Ryobi ExpandIt straight shaft is an accessory for conversion). I use it on my grass lawn for trimming & edging. On the 2 pictures you provided, I would bump it into any soft green vegetations but not shrub like. If there are none, I'll bump it into trunk of a tree if I see one as a last resort. My approach is not to use it on hard surfaces like sand and concrete as they are like abrasives that would severely scratch the head. BTW, good choice on that US made string trimmer head

Last edited:

I have the 30cc sombi system. I will say it's a very nice piece of equipment. I have the regular trimmer head, edger, tiller cultivator, and rotary power scissors. Is interesting that Idech makes The tiller and the rotary power scissors for Maruyama. ( Idech English page ) I can put a 10 lb barbell weight on the shaft of the tiller and it'll just keep on ripping up roots because it has a 30:1 gear reduction.

FYI what you think is aluminum is actually a magnesium alloy. It'll throw a spark if you hit it with a ferro rod striker.

Best one I’ve had was on a husqavarna. it simply worked. I’ve got a ryobi now and the disassembly release is complicated and now requires a Hercules grip to open it up. Boo ryobi. Yay husqavarna.

I replaced the stock head on my Husqvarna 128LD with the Echo SpeedFeed 400. Love it and haven’t looked back. I was thinking about getting the Husqvarna speed feed head when they came out with it, but early reports showed that it had some failures of the cap breaking off.

L8R,
Matt

I think I'm going try the Speed-Feed for my Husky, adding the bolt only makes sense I guess.

Back