Stihl 2 stroke HP Ultra full synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandpa, who has ran stihl saws since the the 80s I believe, told me ge always used to run a little more oil than they called for and it really made the engines last. BUT he cautioned me that the new ones couldnt handle it and should only be used at the recommended 50:1.

I don't know it he is right or wrong but he has been running the same farm boss saw for probably 20 years with no issues from upping the oil. He heats his home with wood so it gets used.

All the new stihls claim 20+% improved fuel economy/emissions so I would imagine that the saws have been taken that much closer to the bleeding edge of saw performance and must have good fresh mix of the correct ratio to last.

Originally Posted By: AVB
If you were to go from 50:1 to 32:1 your engine would run too lean and possibly over heat.

Only if you're running close to the ragged edge already and anyway, there's a reason why small OPE engines have adjustable LS and HS jets.

Far greater chance of burning up the engine if it's tuned for altitude and you take it to sea level without richening it up.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
If you were to go from 50:1 to 32:1 your engine would run too lean and possibly over heat.

Only if you're running close to the ragged edge already and anyway, there's a reason why small OPE engines have adjustable LS and HS jets.

Far greater chance of burning up the engine if it's tuned for altitude and you take it to sea level without richening it up.

Yes, but you never know what you are going to get out of the box and a lot of models need a special tool to adjust the needles. Most consumers wouldn't know what to do if they did have the right tool.

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick

Yes, but you never know what you are going to get out of the box and a lot of models need a special tool to adjust the needles. Most consumers wouldn't know what to do if they did have the right tool.

Not to mention many today have limiters so not much room to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back