Stellantis negative sentiment

Yeah, that's a VERY different ranking.
At this point, I think people can just Google "reliability ratings" until they find a chart that correlates with their personal opinion, and then point and go "Aha!" like it means something.

Course, when I see this in a "reliability ratings survey", my expectations of the data being much use at all drop significantly since CarPlay connectivity issues are weighted the same in the results as, say, self-grenading engines:

Infotainment system woes continue to plague owners: As vehicles roll off the assembly line with increasingly more technology, it is not unexpected that the most problematic vehicle category is infotainment (49.1 PP100)—nearly twice as many problems as the next-highest category, which is exterior. Among infotainment issues, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity (6.3 PP100) is the top problem, followed by built-in voice recognition (6.1 PP100).

Dodge is literally Chrylser with a few differences in grill and interiors etc. They use the same engines, frames, transmissions, computers, infotainment and so on.

Any report showing major differences in reliability between something as similar as these two brands has major red flags unless for some reason there is one specific model for one specific reason that's dragging it down. I'd love to see their logic here. Is the Chrylser 300 more unreliable than the charger/challenger?
If you look at the one "study", Mini ranks almost near the top, BMW and 9, and VW at 27.

Uh, yeah, about that...

Dodge is literally Chrylser with a few differences in grill and interiors etc. They use the same engines, frames, transmissions, computers, infotainment and so on.

Any report showing major differences in reliability between something as similar as these two brands has major red flags unless for some reason there is one specific model for one specific reason that's dragging it down. I'd love to see their logic here. Is the Chrylser 300 more unreliable than the charger/challenger?
I was thinking about the same thing, only Honda/Acura, Toyota/Scion/Lexus, GMC/Chevy trucks, etc.

At this point, I think people can just Google "reliability ratings" until they find a chart that correlates with their personal opinion, and then point and go "Aha!" like it means something.

Course, when I see this in a "reliability ratings survey", my expectations of the data being much use at all drop significantly since CarPlay connectivity issues are weighted the same in the results as, say, self-grenading engines:

Infotainment system woes continue to plague owners: As vehicles roll off the assembly line with increasingly more technology, it is not unexpected that the most problematic vehicle category is infotainment (49.1 PP100)—nearly twice as many problems as the next-highest category, which is exterior. Among infotainment issues, Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity (6.3 PP100) is the top problem, followed by built-in voice recognition (6.1 PP100).
Exactly. This is why i only use/follow JDPower and Consumer Reports. If its in my favor, so be it. If not --- same.

After Iaccoca went on tv and promised that the minivans transmissions were fixed and there would be no more problems I ordered a Dodge minivan. That was the only vehicle I ever bought an extended warranty. After a couple of years of ownership, the warranty company had spent over $8k on it, And then with about 50k on it, it stranded me on I-95 between Ric and Fredericksburg. It was towed to the nearest Dodge dealership which had it for a couple of months. They put a rebuilt one in and it never shifted right again. And I have never owned another Chrysler product. Then is the 70's I bought a new Duster with the famous slant 6 engine. It pinged badly and was in the shop a number of times. No one could get it to stop pinging. It even pinged on premium fuel. When I sold it I put the highest octane Sunoco sold which quieted it down.

How old is this chart? RAM isn't even on there but Pontiac and Saturn are?

Also, Jeep is massively more reliable than Dodge or Chrysler? or even Ford?

This isn't promising:
It still updated, but I'm pretty sure the model and brand reliability ratings are an average of the whole year range. So it doesn't show recent reliability well until you go into a specific model.
When you look at an actual model of car by generation its probably good data, but to have the Outback have average reliability, because the 2000-2010 were way below average, but the new ones are way above average is a bit misleading.

After Iaccoca went on tv and promised that the minivans transmissions were fixed and there would be no more problems I ordered a Dodge minivan. That was the only vehicle I ever bought an extended warranty. After a couple of years of ownership, the warranty company had spent over $8k on it, And then with about 50k on it, it stranded me on I-95 between Ric and Fredericksburg. It was towed to the nearest Dodge dealership which had it for a couple of months. They put a rebuilt one in and it never shifted right again. And I have never owned another Chrysler product. Then is the 70's I bought a new Duster with the famous slant 6 engine. It pinged badly and was in the shop a number of times. No one could get it to stop pinging. It even pinged on premium fuel. When I sold it I put the highest octane Sunoco sold which quieted it down.
Should have bought an exploding Ford Pinto or Chevy Chevette. Or a Yugo.

A friend had one of those 70's slant 6's that also pinged crazy bad. Every time you hit the gas you would cringe from the pinging. And yes premium did nothing. I can't remember the exact year. The problem I think was corrected the following year.

I wouldn’t be against a Wrangler as a dd. Old school and relatively simple… but that’s about it. My brothers 2016 is nice, but he’s only at about 40k. (The dealer wants to buy it from him. Lol)

If I had money to blow and reliability was of no concern, a wide body Charger wouldn’t be bad. If I had even more money, a T Rex would be better.

How old is this chart? RAM isn't even on there but Pontiac and Saturn are?

Also, Jeep is massively more reliable than Dodge or Chrysler? or even Ford?

This isn't promising:
Its a study of actual cars inspections at auction by licensed mechanics. not a survey like you were complaining about earlier. How new do you expect an inspection to be? What point is it tracking reliability for a few years after production? I want to know about 10 years. This is BITOG - most here won't buy anything under 10 years old :ROFLMAO:

I think mostly it gets to 2019 on some models. 2016 is simply when they registered the copyright likely.

The principle in this as I understand is member @macarose

Tough crowd.

FWIW - I had a 2002 WJ. I loved it. Was working on it all the time. I think there cheap enough I may buy a WK2 with the hemi. I will make sure its my +1 car however so I don't have to rely on getting to work in it.:LOL:

Didn't CR rate the LG refrigerators as the best, I think they even mentioned the compressor warranty. I've worked on my share of Toyotas and Hondas. They aren't immune from failures, nothing is. What I would like to see is a survey of vehicles surpassing 200,000 miles. I imagine with the millions of Pentastars and Hemis produced they would rank fairly high on the list. Behind the Toyotas and Hondas but above many other makes. I had to have the shifter surround plate replaced almost immediately on a VW I bought new a few years back, the fake chrome separated and was a hazard. It became a recall iirc. In and out of the dealer in 30 minutes. Many reported problems really don't speak to reliability or longevity in these surveys, these are the parameters I am interested in.

Didn't CR rate the LG refrigerators as the best, I think they even mentioned the compressor warranty. I've worked on my share of Toyotas and Hondas. They aren't immune from failures, nothing is. What I would like to see is a survey of vehicles surpassing 200,000 miles. I imagine with the millions of Pentastars and Hemis produced they would rank fairly high on the list. Behind the Toyotas and Hondas but above many other makes. I had to have the shifter surround plate replaced almost immediately on a VW I bought new a few years back, the fake chrome separated and was a hazard. It became a recall iirc. In and out of the dealer in 30 minutes. Many reported problems really don't speak to reliability or longevity in these surveys, these are the parameters I am interested in.
You mean for example like this: https://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Jeep_Cherokee.html

1711065180692.jpg

I don't like CR simply because their metrics don't make sense in most applications. They can report a vehicle as being "worse" if more people complain about infotainment issues or interior fitment quality compared to one with less frequent transmission programming problems or engine issues. I'd rather have a loose door panel than a transmission that can't figure out what gear it needs to be in, personally.
This x 1 million billion

Many "recalls" are for stupid things, or people visit the dealer for stupid things..."My cup holder is rattling."

The average driver can't differentiate a service appointment for a navigation system update vs a your-steering-knuckle-will-separate-from-your-Dodge-Durango problem. They just know it's a hassle and they don't want to deal with it.

I agree with your statement here. I'm currently in the market for a Pick up, but after spending hours reviewing owners experience's with them , I crossed them off the list. Bad engineering, and lack of factory support, doesn't make their vehicles worth what they charge to me.,,
GM and Ford have just as many issues. Ram is the lesser of the evils and, overall, the better choice in my opinion.

There’s a lot of parts sharing between the Jeep - Chrysler - ram - dodge family but the way they are assembled seems different. The Chrysler and dodge seem to have less attention to cable harness, under hood care, than say jeep wrangler. (The other jeeps look like their cars). Same computers and controllers but they get dressed and wrapped far better in the wrangler. Similar with the big trucks - better put together under the hood. I realize, still, that things like the BCM is going to fail nonetheless, but the chances of the wiring around it coming apart in those is far less.

There were times when I’ve bought Chrysler. Had 2 gen IV town and countries, had an 08 WK. you got a lot of vehicle and features for the money. For a young family, the vans were well-optioned, super comfortable, easy on gas, and simply excelled at being great haulers. Luxury and practicality at an affordable point of entry. Yes, things broke quicker, but were also generally easy to work on. They sold so many of them that the material quality was rather nice - nicer than my f150 and current Honda offerings by a fair margin.

The newer cars I’ve not touched, but again if you wanted a lot of features and “self expression,” for less cost, they have it.

I could still consider a Ram truck.

Back