Stellantis negative sentiment

I’d imagine that’s at least partly responsible for Benz dragging the bottom with Chrysler… with all the marque mystique and fancy commercials that Benz marketing has created, every little issue results in higher levels of customer dissatisfaction, IMO.

But then why is BMW at the top vs Mercedes?

CR is an interesting source of data. It’s CR subscribers that report. Are they representative of broad market experience? Or are they a self-selecting subset of the market? I certainly lean towards the latter…
You beat me to it. CR is a non profit that accepts no advertising. That's the good part.
But from a statistics purity point:
CR surveys are done by their subscribers which is a captured group. Hardly a blind survey population.
Sometimes the survey number of a particular vehicle is so low it is statistically meaningless.
"Reliability" is their catch-all term; it is poorly defined rendering it meaningless.

One year a car is on top; the next it is a dog. What happened?
Better off with Youtube, or better yet, BITOG...

Yes, CR and the others are trusted when they fit someones biased opinion, but then they are garbage when they don't.
I don't like CR simply because their metrics don't make sense in most applications. They can report a vehicle as being "worse" if more people complain about infotainment issues or interior fitment quality compared to one with less frequent transmission programming problems or engine issues. I'd rather have a loose door panel than a transmission that can't figure out what gear it needs to be in, personally.

After reading 3 pages of this thread, I have come to the conclusion that Stellantis is polarizing just like anchovies or pineapple topping on pizza. You either like them or you don't and no amount of discussion, argument, or intimidation will get anyone to change their opinion.
I think they are just like all the other brands. They made some great vehicles, and some were pretty bad. Just like all the rest.

They get way more hate from the haters though. They never get a pass like some others do. Fanboy mentality at work.

FIL has a '16 Renegade Trailhawk (Fiat). Dealer called yesterday and said he should actually get it back tomorrow after 9 months. It went in June 27th, 2023 for CEL for oil pressure issue for 2nd or 3rd time. They said it needed a new motor but had no ETA for it. Fortunately he still had 2300 miles left on his extended factory warranty. This time he at least had a loaner.

New Years eve 2022 he broke down and got towed. It took them over a month to look at it and say fuel pump was shot but on nationwide backorder. No Loaners available, 1 week of rental AFTER they diagnosed it. I called an endless amount of delaers and found ONE not allocated to a customer. Finally got the car back end of February. 8 months of 2023 and 3 months of 2024 stuck at dealer.

Friends new Ram Dually Diesel had CEL. He bought it out of state while camping when his other Ram broke down (multiple times over the year). Dealers around here wouldn't even give an appointment said take it back where you bought it.

All brands have issues like noted. I love the look of Wranglers, Chargers, Challengers and Rams. Love the muscle car sounds as they go past. My experience is I won't buy one at this point. I told him to unload the Renegade when he gets it back, only has 83k on it, he won't since it's paid for.

I'm also part of the CR survey participant crowd. I've been to their auto test facility and done low speed, night time TSD rally's with people that work there. If it was closer to me or salary enough, I would try to get a job there.

Fanboys are great but if it's my only vehicle for work and you can't provide a loaner/rental when it's down, I'm out. He was very lucky to get the loaner. Lord knows when the owner heard the voicemail he left on service dept line, he said get this a guy a loaner ASAP.

So the brand where we've got multiple threads about engines crapping the bed left, right and centre, is viewed as "more reliable", that's hilarious! 🤡

"What's that poking out of your hood there Rod?"
"Oh, that's just a connecting rod Jim. This car has been extremely reliable!"

If warranty handles it, it seems all is forgiven.

Not even close. Based upon the feedback that CR received from owners of over 330,000 vehicles, these are their latest findings on vehicle brand reliability.

View attachment 209482
Id pay a lot more attention to a 10 year dependability study or to something like repair pal data for a more accurate/ less politically driven picture.
KIA Hyundai???? Common, I wouldn’t touch them with a strangers pocket book.Subaru? Some models have been great while others not at all since 4ever. I guess if you like to burn oil lol.
If a person doesn’t keep ahold of their vehicles long then maybe it doesn't matter much

My mom had a 1973 Dodge that was garbage. My wife had a 1992 Dodge and it was also garbage. Two data points make a trend.
I'll meet you in the middle-- my mom had a 1981 Dodge Omni 024 Miser. What a dumpster fire! I would not be surprised if it was the cheapest new car you could buy.

One fact that needs to be considered in any survey or ratings is the inherent nature of humans (in a free society) to complain more about problematic experiences than to complement the lack of problems. As such, surveys may actually be more revealing about the "unreliable" (however you choose to define that descriptor) products than "reliable" products.
There's also internal bias when replying to these surveys-- If I bought the most reliable Corolla that CR recommended and had issues with it, I'd assume it was something I did and not demerit it on the form. "Maintenance does not equal repair" and all that.

CR gets data from subscribers who bother to fill in surveys. It does not have to be much per model.

Also poorly rated reliability means maybe up to 10% of cars have problems while 90% don’t. Excellent reliability is under 2% with issues in a specific area(s).

The end and short is you likely won’t have issues which is where I am at with our 18 VW Tiguan with 159k.

Many people remember the better aspects of their inherent bias. I own and work on VW's and Stellantis products. Do they require maintenance? Yes. Are they trouble free? No. Unfortunately having a lift/skills/tools seems to rope me into "helping" friends with their rigs. You have not lived until you need to pull the heads off of a Toyota pickup Vortec V6. Your life can't be complete until you need to do an R/R on an early 90's Saab auto transmission. Heater core in early 2000's Honda car..... You get the picture. All makes have issues. Cousin's ford pickup causes the front pads to become wedge shaped. The stopping distances were suicidal. The dealer did a brake job and the problem came back....fast. Midas did it the next time, same issue. I thought I would outsmart these places. NEW calipers, NEW rotors, New Pads, New Hardware, all of it. The only thing I didn't change were the caliper brackets. Guess what, problem re-occurred, fast! I shouldn't have been surprised. The internet had millions of hits on the same issue. This from the world's best selling pickup. They continue to this day to be the best selling. Are they the best? Not in my mind. No idea where CR places them on their list.

While I would love to own a 426 hemi, a 1958 Chrysler 300, or even a early 1960s slant 6, I have no interest in any Chrysler or Jeep product made since 1973. An Alfa was the only car I ever owned that was rusted and tired at 100,000 miles. And FIAT? Fiat stands for

Fix
It
Again
Tony

Back