Stay with Mobil 1 OR switch to royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Would you agree that SM is worst than SL and is backwards in technology?

ZDDP is still the most effective anti-wear additive for high performance applications. That is why Mobil 1 R, Amsoil S2k 20w-50, Motul, Joe Gibb's oil etc. all use high amounts. So Royal Purple is looking at it from that perspective being they are heavily invested in racing. So for racing, YES, they are a step down.

For daily drivers, SM oils are better in the sense that dino oils are now synthetics by the group III definition. Some are Group II+ but very close.

All I can say is that the UOA's on the SL version of Mobil 1 were a whole lot better than the SM version of Mobil 1, thats why i will only use M1EP. Even Terry has hinted that Mobil 1 is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially with the SM version. If i could find SL version of Mobil 1, I would be the first to buy all of it. That said, if the choice was between Mobil 1 and Royal Purple, I would choose Mobil 1. I had done a UOA with Royal Purple on my Mazda 3 and the results were horrendous with the oil shearing badly. The next test was with Mobil 1(SL version) and the results were awesome. Royal Purple in my eyes is overpriced and over hyped and that purple oil is mesmerizing to people.

Stay with Mobil 1. I tried Royal Purple once and thats all it took. Put the Royal Purple in the Neon and it oozed out of seals and gaskets on the engine, so bad that after the first 500 miles I had to put another quart of the stuff in the engine. Have since used Castrol, Havoline, etc... and never had a problem since. I currently have Mobil in it now. The motor has 143,000 miles on it and does not burn a drop of oil between changes.

I used RP on my last OCI (now Redline), and used M1 EP prior to that. I noticed ZERO increase in MPG, per their advertising. RP at 5k was still honey brown, whereas M1 was black as death at the same mileage. At 6k on RP I switch out to Redline and I'm never looking back. Redline is the only oil of all that I've experimented with that has given me a dramatic increase in smooothness of the engine, and power seems more readily available across the powerband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back