Stay with Mobil 1 OR switch to royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a 95' Explorer with 4.0 v6 and I've been using mobil 1 synthetic. Just recently though,I've wanted to try royal purple. It costs more,and was wondering if it's actually worth switching over to?

Thanks for the replies!

provides better protection then regular motor oil,good enough reason for me to use a synthetic
wink.gif

No actual benefit of Royal Purple over Mobil1, but it is every bit as good. You pay more for about the same. For me, the big difference is support a local midwest oil company over the evil empire named Exxon/Mobil. I'd rather pay $0.24/qt more for the RP than get Mobil1.

If you are worried about finances, Pennzoil is also every bit as good as Mobil1 and runs $3.97/qt or cheaper.

I don't understand the high regard in which so many people hold Royal Purple. In the American Petroleum Institute service categories for gas engine oil, the further along in the alphabet that the second letter appears, the higher the rating of the oil. SM is currently the highest rated API service category. SL is below SM and is API rated for 2004 and older vehicles. SJ is below SL and is API rated for 2001 and older vehicles. SH is below SJ. The API rates SH and lower rated oils as obsolete.

The multi-grade Royal Purple oils, from 5W-20 up through 15W-40, are all rated SL, and the straight grade 30, 40, and 50 weight Royal Purple oils are rated SJ. I got those ratings from Royal Purple's home page. So none of those oils, whether multi or straight grade, measure up to SM oils.

I suspect that a lot of people buy Royal Purple for its snob appeal or because they mistakenly equate high price with top quality.

I think it's because of the 'Royal' part of its name, its purple color, or maybe even the purple bottle
dunno.gif

I agree, I don't think there is anything special at all about RP.

quote:

Originally posted by Boost:
Got a 95' Explorer with 4.0 v6 and I've been using mobil 1 synthetic. Just recently though,I've wanted to try royal purple. It costs more,and was wondering if it's actually worth switching over to?

Thanks for the replies!

Boost, first of all
welcome.gif

2nd tell us about how your driving the explorer?

How many miles, what type of driving, how many miles per trip and how often.

Any leaks or maintenance problems?

What Oci (Oil change intervals) have you been doing so far.

Unless we have this info, any replies are really not going to have much weight IMO.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

For clarification the API SL rating. I contacted RP with regards to that. Their response was that API SM was a step backwards in technology and they would not pursue API SM certification. The reason they dont meat SM isn't because of wear or sludge or anything like that. It is simply because RP does not want to change its add pack to comply. They make a high quality oil. Seems kind of stupid for daily drivers on here to tell them they are wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by badtlc:
For clarification the API SL rating. I contacted RP with regards to that. Their response was that API SM was a step backwards in technology and they would not pursue API SM certification. The reason they dont meat SM isn't because of wear or sludge or anything like that. It is simply because RP does not want to change its add pack to comply. They make a high quality oil. Seems kind of stupid for daily drivers on here to tell them they are wrong.

So,

Mobil, Castrol, Halvoline, Valovine, QS, Pennzoil and every other oil MFG is putting out worst oils.

That are passing harder Engine tests (Like Fords).

Oils that are showing better UOAs than SL oils.

Ok... I know what brand oil I'd never run...
spaz.gif

Sorry, not shooting the messenger here.

But I'm not impressed with Royal Purple here.
nono.gif

They don't want to have to change or PAY for SM cert.

Why do that if you can sell the old stuff, make $$ and not have to invest any more.

Sounds good to me!
cheers.gif

(Not like I've ever run it anyway..
lol.gif
)

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

(its the same story with Redline and them saying that UOAs are a total waste. Thats because more time than not, they don't post as good UOAs. Terry has SHOWN me that UOAs are far from a waste...)

Royal Purple is ok but not as good as M1EP! M1 has in almost all cases provided better UOA then Royal Purple. Royal Purple has also shown a propensity to shear out of grade or close to it in 5W30 and 10W30 with relatively mild OCI.

Bill from Utah, Terry really likes Redline. I think it's a bit foolish to think a $20 report will provide you with more information than expensive Sequence testing etc. Are UOA's useful? of course. They can show how much life is left in an oil and whether it's contaminated or not. They can also provide you with some information on how the engine is wearing over all but do not show 100% true component wear. That is my opinion. We've seen reports that showed ZERO indication of component failure, yet something did break.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Bill from Utah, Terry really likes Redline. I think it's a bit foolish to think a $20 report will provide you with more information than expensive Sequence testing etc. Are UOA's useful? of course. They can show how much life is left in an oil and whether it's contaminated or not. They can also provide you with some information on how the engine is wearing over all but do not show 100% true component wear. That is my opinion. We've seen reports that showed ZERO indication of component failure, yet something did break.

But the component would have broke with any oil in the sump.

I think the statement that RP made about SM "Their response was that API SM was a step backwards in technology and they would not pursue API SM certification."

Backwards. Would you agree that SM is worst than SL and is backwards in technology?

Man, Mobil spent alot of $$ taking their Mobil 1/EP to SM certification!

Same with those other companies. All that SM oil is worst than the SL they just made.

It does not matter to me..
spaz.gif

I just get blown away on how faithfull folks are with brands and just flat accept whatever they say.

It's safe to say that Royal Purple is not going for the new car market... It's such a small market..
tongue.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back