Started at John Deere today

Having the summer off was great, but I was going a bit stir crazy so I decided to take on a part-time gig. I started today at one of our local JD dealers, and spent the next 8 hours assembling two 40 foot drapers:
1000001583.jpg

The customer ordered 3 heads with a matching machine, a little over $2m worth of equipment. Yes, this was my FIRST DAY people. No, I do not have any farming experience! I will say, however, that it's quite the change from automotive world.

I go to the John Deere dealer and get to play on their equipment , tractors combine etc are certainly costly. We have some huge dairys around here and their equipment inventory and their shops are top end and the custom guys equipment is amazing. I really enjoy seeing the equipment being operated..

Having the summer off was great, but I was going a bit stir crazy so I decided to take on a part-time gig. I started today at one of our local JD dealers, and spent the next 8 hours assembling two 40 foot drapers:
View attachment 178233

The customer ordered 3 heads with a matching machine, a little over $2m worth of equipment. Yes, this was my FIRST DAY people. No, I do not have any farming experience! I will say, however, that it's quite the change from automotive world.
A positive change or a negative?

I was cutting my 3.5 acre field and a fancy brand new red swather with a disc cutter as wide as the two lane street drove by. My first thought was he is going to cut the field for me , but he just kept on driving.

I have a buddy who used to work there.
His job was also in assembly.
Unionized company that pays decent.
What more could you ask for?
(y)
John Deere is quite the go to tractor around here. I worked at a forklift dealer great pay and benefits, wonderful work environment I was treated like Gold . I really had fun working on the forklifts over cars and pickups.

Last edited:
A positive change or a negative?

Well, it's a bit early to tell but I definitely had fun today. Working automotive, even the indy sector, had become dull and repetitive.

I'm really excited for the move. I don't think I'll be working on equipment this large very often, which is fine (my body is already upset with me) but just being around the equipment and learning a new skill is what's most important to me. Getting paid a decent wage to do so is just a bonus.

Well, it's a bit early to tell but I definitely had fun today. Working automotive, even the indy sector, had become dull and repetitive.

I'm really excited for the move. I don't think I'll be working on equipment this large very often, which is fine (my body is already upset with me) but just being around the equipment and learning a new skill is what's most important to me. Getting paid a decent wage to do so is just a bonus.
Are you going to do on site / field repairs?

Are you going to do on site / field repairs?
I don't think so, at least not right away. I'm game for anything really, but the ultimate goal is to NOT work as hard as I did in the automotive sector. My back and shoulders are already giving me issues at 34, I don't need another 15-20 years of abuse tacked on.

I do still plan on forming an LLC and doing side automotive work from home, since I've already got the hoist setup and ready to go. The JD gig is mostly to be able to show some kind of income.

Everyone should try maintaining a combine. They are a high-wear piece of equipment. Think of them as a giant self propelled mower. Sealed bearings everywhere, belts, and cutting knives. It runs in a terrible environment, field dust, crop dust and weed debris. The first 3-5 years are OK. After that you are constantly chasing bearings and belts.

@14Accent you are getting experience that many do not have the opportunity. I'm only just starting to dip into farm equipment and can appreciate more what you are doing. Keep it up and would love to see more posts or pictures myself!

What's the part number for JD dry graphite lube spray?
I have been needing to get some but it's a hassle since I don't have a jd tractor or know the part number.

Everyone should try maintaining a combine. They are a high-wear piece of equipment. Think of them as a giant self propelled mower. Sealed bearings everywhere, belts, and cutting knives. It runs in a terrible environment, field dust, crop dust and weed debris. The first 3-5 years are OK. After that you are constantly chasing bearings and belts.

Oldcodger,

School me, please.

I thought the purpose of sealed bearings was to promote longevity by preventing or reducing the intrusion of dust, dirt, and debris.

View attachment 178233

it sounds like it is just a nut's and bolts job, so it shouldn't matter if you only have auto experience as it is just an assembly thing.

Back