Start Up Pressure Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDP

Just installed the Motorgaurd on my 2004 Ford with the 4.0 OHC engine. I used the PermaCool universial adapter and mounted the filter on the fender about 13 inches above the adapter. Now it seems that the oil pressure gauge takes about 1/2 or 3/4 second to move up. There is also a very short rattle that was not present before. I have read about drain back from the bypass filter, is this the time delay I see on the oil gauge? I have installed two other Motorgaurds but used a sender "T" to supply the bypass, no problem with pressure or rattle. How can this be corrected? How about moving the restrictor to the input feed line to allow the bypass to fill slowly and pressure the engine quicker?

WDP

I had this issue in my jeep. It's not a drain back issue with the filters (it may be a drain foward issue) ..but the main thing is that the length of the line is empty on start up and takes a little time to fill. My wear numbers remained good for this engine (an iron hog) ..but the noise was annoying. I installed two somewhat expensive "sprung-ball" check valves at the adapter. They are oversized in the body so that they don't restrict flow. They are stainless steel and use a Vicon ball. They are not cheap. Conbraco

My part # is/was 62-103-01. You need two of them to stop both drain back and drain forward...but you could probably get away with just one on the feed line at the adapter.

MacMaster Carr sells these if you don't have a local source ...

quote:

Go back to stock."less problems".

Blasphemy!!!! Blashpemy, I say!!! Never go "back"!! Nev-vah!!

[ May 18, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

I am planing to install a Frantz oil bypass filter. I intend to draw the oil from the oil filter adaptor and return the oil thru oil cap. Will I have this kind of low startup pressure issue, too? Is this issue common to all makes of bypass filters?

Sifan,

Do a search on this site about returning oil to through the oil cap. Some of people had problems because of oil aeration and foaming

I have checked those threads related to returning oil through oil cap. One member claimed that he had no problem with such a setup on his BMW with the use of a swivel fitting to help drain the oil. I already got myself such a fitting and planning to use it. I guess I will be ok here. Thanks.

quote:

I am planing to install a Frantz oil bypass filter. I intend to draw the oil from the oil filter adaptor and return the oil thru oil cap. Will I have this kind of low startup pressure issue, too? Is this issue common to all makes of bypass filters?

While doing that is a very easy way to do it, remember this. If you have the return high on the engine and the filter is lower than the return, the filter will NOT drain down when you shut off the engine. While this is good for re-starting with the filter full, it makes it VERY messy to change the TP element as the canister is still full and you'll have a full quart going everywhere when you pull the canister off the base. My personal opinion is to return lower than the canister, which in most cases is into the pan.

I did my chevy truck like that it its fine, even though it starts up with the canister empty, I have instant oil pressure and NO noises.

Mark

quote:

Did the two check valves fix the problem completely?

Absolutely. Again ..I didn't get any wear added by it ..but it was annoying for those few seconds.

Word of advice....allow enough extra oil line to allow you to unbolt the mount from the inner fender and place it in a pan. The changing of the filters is hard to contain otherwise (drip city).

The engine block that holds the oil is made of aluminum, which I really do not want to mess with it by drilling a hole. The bypass filter will be situated in the battery area after I move the battery to the trunk which will be lower than the oil cap. I was going to ask what is the cleanest way to change TP. Thanks for the tips. I will unbolt the bypass filter and put it in a pan as Gary suggested given the hoses are long enough for me to maneuver it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back