Start stop and turbos

That 3.5 EcoBoost is the new design with revised timing chains. It also has direct and port injection, virtually eliminating the usual reason for the catch can sales pitch. The start/stop is a nonfactor. The turbos aren't going to cook the oil and coke everything up in the 20 seconds you're stopped. The oil, as well as the turbo cooling, are MUCH better than that of the 80s.

I have a 1982 turbo 280ZX that I used to let idle for 20 minutes after a run. It always had pennzoil conventional in it. The turbo was not water cooled either. Poor car hasn't been run in years...
I have a catch can on my 2019 gen 2 raptor i get about 1 oz per 1000 miles wish it was less but better in the catch can then inner cooler, cleaner valves and better air for performance. It works but who is going to drain it more maintenance they wont be using them.Its nice to keep that oil out of your intake but not really that important with direct and port injection but Iam a car guy and thats why I have a catch can. I understand your 20 second rule but what about all the other times you go into work, home etc. cook cook cook.

I would not mind start/stop as long as it was very simple and quick to turn the feature off.

I turn SS off because traffic sucks in Boston and that split second counts. Not to mention the AC turns off every time you move 20 feet.

The OEM's spend millions on R&D. I'm certainly not going to sit in my car when I get home and wait for an egg timer to chime.
When the chevy trax and buick encore first arrived, there was no turbo timer. In 2017 or so, they added a timer because of coked oil in the lines. So I'm told.

I find it ridiculous on a vehicle like mine. Thankfully I just switch the driving mode off eco to sport and it turns off. 577hp 590tq and 4300lbs and you think a half mile a gallon is worth all the extra wear? Stupid.

Back