Start stop and turbos

Used to be the reason turbo oils where a little better is because every time you shut off the engine it cooks that small amount of oil in the turbo, then on restart that burnt oil gets mixed in with the good stuff not a good thing. Yes I know most turbos are water cooled my 87 lebaron {mopar} back then was . I have a 2019 raptor 5 foot of timing chain and two turbos water cooled or not some oil cooking at shut off happens. Lots of smart people let that turbo cool a min. before shut down some even have cool down timers after shut down. Start stop on and off all day in the city not good. All this for a half a mile more per gal. Yes I have changed the oil in my raptor a lot, and have never seen beautiful golden amsoil XL 5w 30 turn dark so quick, that thing is hard on oil ! I push that start stop button to off every time. Changed the oil in my raptor first time at 400 miles and it looked bad lots of silver, so much for newer engines and less break in. I read on the Ford raptor forums how people do there first oil change 5000-10000 miles yea I dont wonder why there are cam phaser problems. PS I dont care what ford says its all about fuel mileage and less maintenance no one wants a car that needs more maintenance. The 3.5 eco should have a catch can but that would be more maintenance so they dont . Please take it easy on me Iam old this is just a life long gear heads opinion.

Doesn't your Raptor have the redesigned timing drive with two chains or so instead of one? I agree with a very early first oil change on the whole drive line as well

Last edited:
Not ANOTHER engine stop/start post.

1. The engine isn't going to stop if the computer senses it was just running in boost.
2. The turbo bearing has oil in it even if there is no pressure. Not going to do any damage when the engine stops

Personally, I enjoy the quiet and smoothness whenever the engine is off.

Are you THAT guy who leans on the horn at a traffic light if the first car doesn't move the instant the light turns green?

No, I'm not THAT guy. Despite being a Masshole, I'm actually a courteous driver who doesn't cut people off and just wants to get to the next client or make it home.

SS sucks because of other people, usually dummies and cabs trying to cut you off. If the light turns green and I'm up front, you have to move.
I was cut off last year by the freaking Trolley in Brookline because I was at the light and hesitated to go.

@Slick Rick
Stop/Start is a horrible addition.
You have a Gen II engine in your Raptor. The timing chain design has changed. I don’t let my 2.7 idle before shut down. The turbos are water cooled.
I did my first oil change at 5,000 miles and there was very little noticeable metals or anything else in the filter. There is a possibility of blue exhaust smoke at startup. This can occur after sitting for several days (cold soak). If you are worried about the specified oil being a bit too thin, you could look for something a little stouter. Maybe a 5W30, 0W40, 0W30 or 5W40 European oil. Maybe even a dual fleet full synthetic 5W40 diesel oil. You know good and well farmers, construction companies and local governments are not going to keep too many engine oils in their inventory.
Look at this oil. I may change over to it or Kendall GT-1 Euro Plus or Kendall SHP 5W40 diesel oil.

Last edited:
217k miles on my Prius with start/stop.
12K on my Ram 5.7 eTorque (48V start/stop setup).

I have zero concerns with start/stop. The engine will fire on if the climate control is unable to maintain sufficient cabin cooling or heating.

Not ANOTHER engine stop/start post.

1. The engine isn't going to stop if the computer senses it was just running in boost.
2. The turbo bearing has oil in it even if there is no pressure. Not going to do any damage when the engine stops

Personally, I enjoy the quiet and smoothness whenever the engine is off.
Yea the turbo has a small amount of oil in it and its hot hot hot just come off the interstate at 70 and pull up to red light no boost needed, oh how's that A/C work when its 100 degrees at a red light in the downtown, lights dim too want me to go on, its dumb thats what I think and a very large amount of others think the same. Personally you said smoothness oh yea floor it from a traffic light while its off you should be able to do that right, smoothness I would say breakage. Its your car do what ever makes you happy but the first thing I will do is hit the button turn if off, if its such a good idea why is there so many products. to turn it off. It helps all cars do just a little bit better in city MPG you car can be off and hot while sitting at all those traffic lights. Again take it easy just my 2 cents ,if every body thought the same there would be no bobs maybe we should ask bob.

That 3.5 EcoBoost is the new design with revised timing chains. It also has direct and port injection, virtually eliminating the usual reason for the catch can sales pitch. The start/stop is a nonfactor. The turbos aren't going to cook the oil and coke everything up in the 20 seconds you're stopped. The oil, as well as the turbo cooling, are MUCH better than that of the 80s.

I have a 1982 turbo 280ZX that I used to let idle for 20 minutes after a run. It always had pennzoil conventional in it. The turbo was not water cooled either. Poor car hasn't been run in years...

Doesn't your Raptor have the redesigned timing drive with two chains or so instead of one? I agree with a very early first oil change on the whole drive line as well
Its still is really long chain, if it every needs phasers Iam going to do it so I understand whats going on in there. Yea I will be changing most fluids before 10.000 miles axles, transfer case, trans, does not cost me much good ford prices and I was a mechanic might be a waste but Iam into it

Why do you have to floor it? As soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal it starts right up.
You dont have to floor it but maybe theres a dodge next to you and you want to show him a liitle something. Just kidding just say you may need for some reason to hit it hard some one not stopping behind you punch it bet you could break something easy. its not even running yet. Its ok I just got a problem with stop start Iam old.

Back