Stanley sockets/ratchets set

Job

I know it isn’t USA, but it’s Taiwan and some people have been asking about cheaper sets. I thought this was a nice deal. They seem to have a no receipt warranty without a lot of this or that, wear and tear, normal use, etc exceptions.

MECHANICS TOOLS
FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY
STANLEY Mechanics Tools are covered by the manufacturer’s FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY. If any STANLEY Mechanics Tool ever fails for any reason, STANLEY will replace it. NO PROOF OF PURCHASE required.
DO NOT RETURN PRODUCT TO STORE. Please call 1-800-262- 2161 (M-F, 8-5 EST) and Stanley will ship a replacement. Tools covered include: wrenches, sockets, ratchets and drive accessories.
THIS FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY EXCLUDES ALL INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so these limitations may not apply to you. This FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY gives you specific legal rights that may vary from state to state.

Last edited:
Had a closer look at the ratchets and the best ones I have are that design, fwiw... they don't switch direction on their own, they ratchet easy, they have a lock for the socket or extension, and there's no pesky ball bearings inside that escape when you clean/lube them. Just 2 pawls, 2 springs the selector and the drive.

Add a 1/2" drive ratchet to fix an over-the-road serpentine belt failure and this would be a nice set to put in your vehicle.
Has most of the sizes you need, plus it's cheap enough that no sleep would be lost if it gets stolen.

Stanley tools I’ve had good luck with actually. I’ve found many at the pawn shops that I have gotten just to have as extras and too keep in my truck and beetle. And their warranty is nice too just like Craftsman you don’t need to return the old one to get a replacement by mail. My friend got one of their sets that was a 6 point set well one of the sockets was 12 point so they sent him another free and told him to keep the other one can’t beat that.

I ordered one, and it is a weakness. The only way is to not go and look at tools on the intrynet.

Bust out another $50, but at 69 useable pieces, no little bits or Allen keys, it comes out about 75 cents a piece and there are two ratchets.

That doesn't look good but the only thing I don’t like is in the otherwise very nice case the pieces are too tight or some too loose. What I like is the warranty and the fact I can take it back very easily with no questions. I may just do that since the grocery store I go to for sales sometimes is right next door. No problem. Seems to work very well, don’t have to rush about it.

It took some serious abuse on the switch to move the pin over the pawl. I don’t use tools like that. I looked at the video again, not impressed with the authors and their emotions. It’s a really nice set made in Taiwan the one I got which is not the same set as the one in the demolition video. 😄 $50 for all this is not bad.
image.jpg

Last edited:
It took some serious abuse on the switch to move the pin over the pawl. I don’t use tools like that. I looked at the video again, not impressed with the authors and their emotions. It’s a really nice set made in Taiwan the one I got which is not the same set as the one in the demolition video. 😄 $50 for all this is not bad.View attachment 46766
Have you used it yet? I'm always annoyed by the loud ratchets clicks that are cured with putting some grease in the head. Others like oil.
As I posted previously, to me it's a good set to have in a vehicle for occasional or maybe weekend use. I bet the first thing to go will be the numbering on the side of the sockets. It's not laser-etched, is it? The second thing to go (IMO), will be the ratchets. A professional mechanic wouldn't use this set to make a living, but you already know that.
Most Stanley warranty work is a simple phone call. The cardboard cases have an 800 number to call for warranty. Make sure you save that number.

Have you used it yet? I'm always annoyed by the loud ratchets clicks that are cured with putting some grease in the head. Others like oil.
As I posted previously, to me it's a good set to have in a vehicle for occasional or maybe weekend use. I bet the first thing to go will be the numbering on the side of the sockets. It's not laser-etched, is it? The second thing to go (IMO), will be the ratchets. A professional mechanic wouldn't use this set to make a living, but you already know that.
Most Stanley warranty work is a simple phone call. The cardboard cases have an 800 number to call for warranty. Make sure you save that number.
It will be behind the front seat of the toyota pickup or at a relatives house . I will remember to cut the phone number for warranty off the sleeve. Ratchets have nice tight selector switches and seem to work well for my non professional use. I will be using them a bit more for awhile if I can stop being lazy. I think I could jimmy up many budget pear ratchet switches by yanking it back and forth while changing the selector. Actually I prefer round head ratchets like the old Williams and current Wright. American works of mechanical art in my opinion. I do like the release button on these and the sockets stay fixed can't come off. The markings appear to be laser etched.

My father in law had constant issues with his chrome Stanley 1/4” drive. Warrantied it either 2 or 3 times and just gave up. I’ve read about others having issues as well.

Thankfully this looks to be a different (and hopefully better) design.

Back