Need a new ratchet set

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Here we are 6 years later and I'm skiing for help finding a ratchet set again. Here was that last post. The Stanley set wasn't enough. And the case has completely fallen apart.

Looking for a bigger set than last time. I like having a nice carrying case so I can haul it around from car to car, house to house etc. I'm also kind of tired of having tools I have to piece out and carry bigger sockets separately etc.

I know Craftsman isn't what it used to be, but these seem like a decent deal, the 320 and 450 piece Craftsman set. Thinking maybe there will be a Memorial Day sale coming up? Also a Harbor Freight kit?

Here we are 6 years later and I'm skiing for help finding a ratchet set again. Here was that last post. The Stanley set wasn't enough. And the case has completely fallen apart.

Looking for a bigger set than last time. I like having a nice carrying case so I can haul it around from car to car, house to house etc. I'm also kind of tired of having tools I have to piece out and carry bigger sockets separately etc.

I know Craftsman isn't what it used to be, but these seem like a decent deal, the 320 and 450 piece Craftsman set. Thinking maybe there will be a Memorial Day sale coming up? Also a Harbor Freight kit?

Look into Tekton. Good quality, lifetime warranty and they dont skip any sizes. The cases are durable and use pinned hinges. Based out of Grand Rapids MI the make most of their stuff in the US ot Taiwan. Sign up on their website you get 10% back. I have gotten many of their tools and they are good. One socket set had 2 12mm and no 10 mm, took a pic of it and sent them an email, had a 10mm socket mailed and received in 2 days.

I got this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-232-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-3-Drawer-Chest/5000183119 (or a slightly different, older version without the metal clasps) five or six years ago as a gift. I've been very happy with it, and it's got a lifetime guarantee which, interestingly, includes lost/stolen/damaged sockets. Supposedly they'll mail a free replacement within five business days if you lose any of the sockets, which is pretty cool. Damaged ones are replaced at the Lowe's store. I'm not using it for work or anything, but it's held up very well and seems like a lifetime purchase (perhaps except for the plastic case). But I'm sure any comparable brands would serve you well, likely including Craftsman.

I like the new Craftsman lineup overall. They have performed well for me but I wouldn't expect them to compare to snap on, etc. for pro mechanics or heavy use. My biggest complaint is that the kits have a lot of unnecessary pieces...how many of the 450 pieces are screwdriver tips or other small, inexpensive items?

The Tekton suggested above is good, albeit a little more spendy than many others (not unreasonable though). As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

This Craftsman set is made in Taiwan, and the case is actually decent. It's not bulky or heavy, and it's not a crappy blow molded case. Lowe's often has it for $100.

Some of the Husky sets are fairly complete with decent pricing (when on sale). I've had a few Tekton sockets and ratchets and I don't understand the hype. They are average Taiwan sockets with a heavy dose of marketing. Not bad quality though, as average Taiwan sockets are pretty decent now.

Last edited:
Really liking the Dewalt 180-ish piece set I got from Costco a couple black Friday's ago. I think it was $79 (normally $99).

Reactions: JC1
Stay away from GearWrench. I make my living using tools and GearWrench don't stand up and I have had warranty issues with them. About any other name brand should be suitable for everyday needs, even Pittsburgh or Icon from Harbor Freight if you are on a budget. I have some Mac, Snap on, Cornwell etc and they are great. I actually prefer the Husky/Kobalt/Pittsburgh I use the snot out of. Not worried about marring them up considering their cost.

I have not purchased any SK tools recently. But they are by far my favorite. I absolutely hate the Snap On and Craftsman ratchets with the lever. As I keep knocking it in tight areas. I work on high end aircraft for a living and must have quality tools.

1622128735026.jpeg

I have not purchased any SK tools recently. But they are by far my favorite. I absolutely hate the Snap On and Craftsman ratchets with the lever. As I keep knocking it in tight areas. I work on high end aircraft for a living and must have quality tools.

View attachment 58409
No doubt that the SK set there is good. But its 3/8 only and $250 (94547). SK sockets are high quality and US made. The round head 3/8 ratchet is good too.

Those look like old sets beginning with 9 in the model number. One says added in 2000 maybe some are still USA at that age. I think it’s generally thought the new CMMT model sets by B&D might be better. Husky from HD is another option, sometimes they have great clearance pricing. Lately I notice they get sold out right away, then they seem to appear on eBay for more money. I like the Husky ratchets I got very cheap on sale, quite nice. A big set is going to have to be non USA to be affordable like those.

Check your credit card deals for a Zoro offer. I got a 35% discount on top of a 20% and got three Williams flex head ratchets and a whole set with sockets. The long handle 1/4 flex is a work of art. Both the flex head and straight 3/8 have a selector that is very difficult to move. The 1/4 and 1/2 are ok. They are 36 tooth.
Ordered some Proto ratchets also. I really like the Proto better than any, especially the 24 tooth old school type. I can see why they have been made exactly the same for probably 80 years. But sets are expensive. I got the impression you wanted a whole big set for not a big amount of money.

Those ratchets in the Craftsman set you linked Nick are not well made and only slightly better than the raised panel at least in my opinion. I’ve got one, I got when Sears closed and it absolutely stinks man. I had to put grease in it right away because it was bone dry and slipping. Still slips I don’t even use it hardly anymore. The new Craftsman Gunmetal chrome sets are actually really nice and the ratchets are 120 teeth man they are really nice. Made in Taiwan. You can also purchase the ratchets individually. Someone on my other forum was posting pictures of the new Craftsman USA stuff that they just released and it doesn’t look too bad honestly. It was only sockets he posted a picture of I’m not sure if the ratchets are USA or not yet.

In December I bought a Capri ratchet and man I love the thing it’s my go to and it was cheaper than Harbor Freight too. I’m not impressed with Harbor Freight ratchets besides the Icon because the selector switch is opposite and it drives me insane. The Capri let me tell you how much I love those ratchets so smooth for only being 72 tooth. It’s even my go to over my Matco these days. They have a set of three too. If you are looking for sockets since you mentioned set, Capri is good really good as well as Sunex and Tekton and SK and Williams and Wright and plenty of other brands. The Taiwan Craftsman sockets aren’t bad either I’ve had some of mine replaced and was sent Taiwan replacements which have actually held up well.

That set from Sears is Chinese made and the main issue I have with my Chinese Sears Craftsman is manufacturing defects like weak chrome and other things too. Also Lowe’s offers the Kobalt and Craftsman sets for $99 but they have a lot of odds and ins like instead of giving you a couple screwdrivers they give you a handle and count each bit as a piece. And the Kobalt ratchets also leave a lot to be desired as well from the ones I’ve used which also have the selector switch backwards.

I’ll echo the Williams recommendation. Buy the set(s) you need, then get a good quality tool bag in which to keep them. You’ll be happy with the quality, durability, and performance of the Williams tools, I promise.

I’ll echo the Williams recommendation. Buy the set(s) you need, then get a good quality tool bag in which to keep them. You’ll be happy with the quality, durability, and performance of the Williams tools, I promise.
I'll echo that as well.

Back