Duralast 1/4" Socket Set Q?

I bought (2) 40 pc. Duralast 1/4" socket sets about 8 years ago from AZ. They were on sale for $19.99 (reg. $39.99). One for me, one for my son. I actually didn't need them but they looked so much like Snap-On (which I know they're NOT) I thought, WTH.
Earlier today, a neighbor asked to borrow a 1/4" ratchet and 10 mm socket so I just let him borrow the whole set. He too thought they looked like Snap-On tools. I Googled who made Duralast tools and it stated China or Taiwan. They do have a lifetime warranty and I have put them thru some very rigorous tasks, so I think they were worth $20. Anyone else here use/own Duralast tools?
(That's a Proto 1/4" swivel I added in the small compartment)
TOOLS.jpegTOOLS1.jpeg

Cant argue what you paid for them considering it appears to be a decent set. I miss the old days of Sears stores being full of individual Craftsman sockets... and when you broke something, you'd go to the Sears store and easily take care of it with the warranty.
Before I had to retire I would go to Sears almost every Sunday to "just look" at tools. It never failed that something always followed me home. 😁

I actually replied to a similar thread about these exact sockets...about 10 years ago. When I first purchased this set, they were labeled as “Great Neck”, also for $19.95 at that time. Great Neck was a mediocre tool brand, but I digress...
It is a pretty good set, even the Snap On fanatics thought they were okay. The first thing to go was the ratchet. You know what kind of problems you have getting warranty on a Great Neck when they now sell Duralast? Finally, the counterman admitted that they USED to sell this set under a different name. They gave me a Dralast replacement, but the ratchet handle was a lot shorter on the replacement. BTW, as all tools that come in a cheap plastic case, the hinge will be the first to go. My case now has metal hinges. You should have no problems with warranty work, unless they get renamed again.

I bought the Duralast 3/8 ratchet that looks like a Snap On and I snipped a couple spring coils It's a fine ratchet but lacks the quick disconnect button. I reach for my HF ratchets first.

Duralast is Taiwan actually just went to Auto Zone tonight to pick up a tone ring for the Escape and was looking for a socket I needed and they didn’t have it but all sockets and every hand tool said Taiwan. I too miss the Sears days I was around for them for a short period of time before they went to China. I have Duralast wrenches, sockets, adapters and I think that’s it and they are nice just mine are older and have the blue stripe for SAE and red stripe for metric which drives me crazy a little bit. It’s still a shame they don’t sell shallow impact sockets because they would of made a sale if they did.

I've purchased 4 of their 1/4" drive socket sets (on for each vehicle) when they went on sale for Black Friday a few years back, and I have to admit that they are really nice! I now normally start my repairs using one of these sets rather than one of my 3/8' drive sets.

Duralast is Taiwan actually just went to Auto Zone tonight to pick up a tone ring for the Escape and was looking for a socket I needed and they didn’t have it but all sockets and every hand tool said Taiwan. I too miss the Sears days I was around for them for a short period of time before they went to China. I have Duralast wrenches, sockets, adapters and I think that’s it and they are nice just mine are older and have the blue stripe for SAE and red stripe for metric which drives me crazy a little bit. It’s still a shame they don’t sell shallow impact sockets because they would of made a sale if they did.
In the pics below I took the largest size socket (1/2") from my Duralast 1/4" drive socket set as an example. It is stamped DURALAST and the socket size. None of the socket set pieces are marked Chinese or Taiwan. Also, all of the sockets are (6) sides. The flashlight was used to keep the socket from rolling.
SOCKET1.jpegSOCKET.jpeg

In the pics below I took the largest size socket (1/2") from my Duralast 1/4" drive socket set as an example. It is stamped DURALAST and the socket size. None of the socket set pieces are marked Chinese or Taiwan. Also, all of the sockets are (6) sides. The flashlight was used to keep the socket from rolling.
View attachment 45314View attachment 45315
Those are a lot nicer than the ones they have now. I think those are Taiwan made. Resembles Snap-on and Icon very closely. The original plastic or cardboard piece around the set probably said Taiwan.

Those are a lot nicer than the ones they have now. I think those are Taiwan made. Resembles Snap-on and Icon very closely. The original plastic or cardboard piece around the set probably said Taiwan.
There was a cardboard sleeve around the case. But, I didn't keep it.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw them, Snap-On.

Yeah I don’t keep them either. Looking at some of mine that kind of resembles some of the ones I have too. Definitely hold up nicely.
I can't believe I'm talking so much about this socket set. I have so many socket sets that are all name brand that make this set look like nothing. In my small shed I have about 12 socket sets made by Craftsman, Snap-On, Proto, MAC, Williams, etc. In my gang box I have in my dads barn are my major sets. Those are mostly 1/2" and 3/4" drive. I have wrenches up to 2" Hammer wrenches, impact sockets, etc. I even have Cresent wrenches from 4" to 24". Aluminum and steel pipe wrenches from 2" up to 48". Most of my tools are from my pipe fitting and welding days. A lot of my others are from my engine building and hot rod days. I even have a RIDGID tripod and RIDGID 300 pipe threader. And, there are so many more tools I didn't mention.
I guess one day I will have to have a tool yard sell. I can sell boudin, po-boys, jambalaya, and gumbo at the sale. 😁

I can't believe I'm talking so much about this socket set. I have so many socket sets that are all name brand that make this set look like nothing. In my small shed I have about 12 socket sets made by Craftsman, Snap-On, Proto, MAC, Williams, etc. In my gang box I have in my dads barn are my major sets. Those are mostly 1/2" and 3/4" drive. I have wrenches up to 2" Hammer wrenches, impact sockets, etc. I even have Cresent wrenches from 4" to 24". Aluminum and steel pipe wrenches from 2" up to 48". Most of my tools are from my pipe fitting and welding days. A lot of my others are from my engine building and hot rod days. I even have a RIDGID tripod and RIDGID 300 pipe threader. And, there are so many more tools I didn't mention.
I guess one day I will have to have a tool yard sell. I can sell boudin, po-boys, jambalaya, and gumbo at the sale. 😁
LOL. Hey no matter the tools we can’t have too many but we can run out of space. And I never get tired of thinking about tools lol. I’ve got many brands in fact way too many to list lol. Same brands you mentioned I have all of those. I have over 1000 sockets that I have collected. I have a few complete sets that I’ve bought new or used but 90% of my tools and sockets are from the pawn shop I just piece together sets. I’ve got many tools I’ve got a few special tools for jobs around the house but those tools aren’t in my box lol. And tons of automotive special tools. My biggest socket is 1 1/2 and my biggest wrench is 1 1/4. I work on everything so I need a couple bigger ones probably.

LOL. Hey no matter the tools we can’t have too many but we can run out of space. And I never get tired of thinking about tools lol. I’ve got many brands in fact way too many to list lol. Same brands you mentioned I have all of those. I have over 1000 sockets that I have collected. I have a few complete sets that I’ve bought new or used but 90% of my tools and sockets are from the pawn shop I just piece together sets. I’ve got many tools I’ve got a few special tools for jobs around the house but those tools aren’t in my box lol. And tons of automotive special tools. My biggest socket is 1 1/2 and my biggest wrench is 1 1/4. I work on everything so I need a couple bigger ones probably.
My passion for buying tools ended when I had to retire. After working for 39 years you tend to build up quite a tool collection. What I really miss was going to flea markets to buy tools. I would buy broken tools that I knew I could trade in for a new one. Not only that, any kind of tool in general. To me, that was a fun weekend. Yard sales and estate sales brought me many tools as well. I sure do miss those days.
What I miss the most is teaching. There's a great feeling I used to get inside of me when I would see those I taught, go out into the world and apply their trade. And, years later, I would see him/her as a foreman or supervisor, doing so well in the trade. :)

My passion for buying tools ended when I had to retire. After working for 39 years you tend to build up quite a tool collection. What I really miss was going to flea markets to buy tools. I would buy broken tools that I knew I could trade in for a new one. Not only that, any kind of tool in general. To me, that was a fun weekend. Yard sales and estate sales brought me many tools as well. I sure do miss those days.
What I miss the most is teaching. There's a great feeling I used to get inside of me when I would see those I taught, go out into the world and apply their trade. And, years later, I would see him/her as a foreman or supervisor, doing so well in the trade. :)
That is great. I go to flea markets, pawn shops, estate sales everywhere to get tools some have been real treasures that I’ve gotten. I have a lot of wartime tools. I have purchased many broken ones too as well to do the same thing lol. The good thing with the Craftsman stuff is now you don’t have to turn it in if you go directly thru Craftsman many other brands don’t require it back either.

Back