Stamp prices going up starting tomorrow

It’s the same thing like pulling 100% depreciation forward to the current year on capital assets. You drag future money to the present to make the numbers look good, and let 5 years from now worry about itself, because that will be somebody else’s problem by then!
How many people bought $100,000 worth of stamps as an investment when they cost like 40 cents, thinking that postage might rise to a dollar pretty soon? I guess they didn't count on the internet and email virtually killing off letter mail.

Creating the forever stamp was the smartest thing they ever did. I remember huge lines at the post office just because stamps went up a couple cents. Dumb.
Yep, and having to buy the stupid penny stamps to add-on to the now undervalued stamps you already had from before the price went up. So a basic letter would have anywhere from 2-??? stamps on it depending on how old your stamps were. They also had other 'change' denominations iirc (3¢, etc). Haha

No more route walking here. We have those "community" mail boxes. Makes it much easier for mail thieves to grab the piles junk mail.

No big highjack intended.
Years ago the USPS curtailed "surface rate" for economical overseas mailings. That sucked.
It was so much fun to mail little gifts to people I met traveling.
What followed was a 20 year depression...increased drinking....isolation. It's been bad.
You don't care, I know.

Mailing a tee shirt to the UK now costs >$10. Criminal.

Stamp pricing has always seemed odd to me… There is no discrimination of distance. It cost the same to mail something 5 miles away as 5 states away.
Same thing for car freight charges. Same if you pick up from a dealer a mile away from the factory in Detroit or over 1000 miles away in Miami.

What good or service hasn't seen multiple price increases over the past couple of years?

Years ago the USPS curtailed "surface rate" for economical overseas mailings. That sucked.
It was so much fun to mail little gifts to people I met traveling.

What followed was a 20 year depression...increased drinking....isolation. It's been bad.
Clearly, there was/is more at play here than a postal rate hike.

Currently, people are "short linking' numerous cause and effect scenarios.
You know, the telegraph corrupted our youth, etc.
At the time, the USPS hadn't been blamed recently for anything so I latched on.

If cell phones had been introduced 10 years later, perhaps I could blame my indulgences on the phone company.

About 50% of the bills we pay out at work are to smaller vendors, so that means sending a paper check the mail. It's way overkill, but I bought 800 stamps before this price increase.

On a personal note, I ordered a box of blank birthday cards a few weeks ago. I figure that some people might appreciate getting something in the mail over a text or social media message.

Back