More Price Hikes Coming To A Store Near You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't the first I've heard of this news. I thought some might be interested in the actual jump we are going to see on the shelves. I'm glad we are handing out tax subsidies to these guys left and right.

Quote:
Outcry Greets Lube Price Hikes

By George Gill

Most major oil companies have informed U.S. customers of finished lubricant price hikes in recent weeks that will take effect throughout September, and some marketers responded with skepticism and “disgust.”

The latest round follows three sets of increases earlier this year that went into effect from early February through early March, mid-April through early May, and mid-June through early July. Again, most cited increases in base oil and additives costs.

Chevron will raise prices 3 to 6 percent on lubricating oils, gear lubes and greases effective Sept. 1.
ConocoPhillips will boost prices 5 to 8 percent on finished lubricant products, depending on product-specific factors, effective Sept. 16.
ExxonMobil will hike prices up to 5 percent on ExxonMobil branded and unbranded lubricants and greases effective Sept. 16.
Citgo will increase prices 4 to 6 percent on list and customer specific prices effective with shipments on and after Sept. 19. The change is applicable to Citgo, Mystik, Clarion, MileMaster branded and private label bulk and packaged finished lubricants, white oils and greases.
Shell will bump up prices for selected lubricants up to 5 percent effective Sept. 19.
Valvoline will increase prices up to 6 percent on lubricant products effective Sept. 19.
BP Castrol will raise prices up to 5 percent on all passenger car, motorcycle, commercial and ancillary products, including synthetics in all package types, effective Sept. 26.
Most of the notification letters included a variation on Citgo’s explanation to customers: “This increase is driven by escalations in base oil, additive and packaging material costs that have occurred over the past several months.” Others blamed increases in base oil and additive costs, or raw material costs in general.

The majority of notifications also said some prices will increase more or less than the general increase.

“There’s never been an increase that is as ‘unjustified’ as this one,” a sales manager with a lubricant distributor told Lube Report. “Finished lube prices are higher today than they were in 2008 when crude was $140 [per barrel] for a brief period of time. I’d bet that every penny of this increase is going right to their bottom line. Big profit margins getting even bigger. In my opinion, all of the mergers among big oil have left us with a lubes market where there’s not enough competition to make the free market work like it should.”

Another source chimed in, “We are greeting this fourth increase [in 2011] with disgusted resignation.”

A territory manager with another distributor indicated there was initially some “real, genuine talk” about a hope this latest round of increases would be rescinded, acknowledging, “unfortunately, it didn’t turn out that way.” This source pointed out that distributors are the ones who have to “go in there and face the music. Everybody is looking at us, saying ‘what are you talking about?’ They see the price of crude coming down, they see the price at the pump coming down, and naturally everyone thinks this stuff should come down too. It goes back to reeducation that this [lubricants] is one class of product, and that’s another. Because the economy right now is in such a precarious state, this one [round of increases] is very, very sensitive.”

I saw that headline this AM as well.

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article002192631.cfm?x=bjSCRWC,b4bRbnH9

I do get a little irritated when people think Amsoil just makes up their own price hikes on a whim. These are crazy, oil is back down in the 80's now....these are as if prices are over $130-$140. Ripoff suppliers!!!!!!!!!!

Part of a free market is consumers speaking up AND shopping alternatives!! Enough of the oil blenders and end consumers taking actions may have some (small) effect.

This is why I have a (somewhat) bloated stash of around 80 gallons of oil at the moment-I still don't think runaway inflation is a sure thing, but it doesn't hurt to have a couple years supply on hand. Now if I could just find a place for that 1000 gallon diesel tank...

They can go to [censored] at those price hikes, this is why I only buy oil on sale now..

Originally Posted By: tig1
Somebody has to pay for the re- formulation to SN.

That is a load tig. This isn't about SN. This is just flat out ridiculous. If anything the additive packs have gotten smaller. (API SN) is not driving this madness.

It is kind of like home insurance companies in FL. They constantly increase homeowners insurance even though there hasn't been a Hurricane in years and property values have decreased substantially. They don't ask for 5-10% increases though, it is more like 40-60% at a time. It is just flat out greed.

Think I better buy a few cases of Trop artic as Sams club while its still 27.28/case. Only $2.27/qt for a synblend thats a brother of motorcraft!

"Don't [censored] down my back and tell me its raining."
12.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Think I better buy a few cases of Trop artic as Sams club while its still 27.28/case. Only $2.27/qt for a synblend thats a brother of motorcraft!

Has anyone found yet HOW close TA 5/30 is to the MC 3/50 blend?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

That is a load tig. This isn't about SN. This is just flat out ridiculous. If anything the additive packs have gotten smaller. (API SN) is not driving this madness.

It is kind of like home insurance companies in FL. They constantly increase homeowners insurance even though there hasn't been a Hurricane in years and property values have decreased substantially. They don't ask for 5-10% increases though, it is more like 40-60% at a time. It is just flat out greed.

So the time and research to re-formulate engine oil is free for oil companies? And you believe SN oils are inferior to SM oils? And you think a modest increase(5% at WM since SN re-formulation)) in engine oil is Madness? And engine oil prices have something to do with hurricanes in Florida? Very interesting!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

Are you saying that motor oil companies are acting as a cartel or the retail stores?

They are raising prices everywhere to make up for slow sales due to the bad economy caused (largely) by inflation.

We are surrounded by geniuses.

A 5 quart bottle of Valvoline MaxLife at Pep Boys is currently $26.99. At those
prices, I can't afford to spill a single drop, and I can't afford to leak a single drop.

All my life up until this point, no matter what was going on with the economy,
I could always count on motor oil as being relatively cheap. Not no more.

I've wondered recently if auto part stores, etc, didn't overstock oil or lessen the selection and keep enough in each grade(not of each brand mind you) would that help?

Of course, oil companies would have to slow down production(maybe?) or are they dependent on pushing oil out(part stores going through stock, overturn to new stock etc) that they couldn't accept slower sales rates, so keep producing in order oversupply lubrication to justify cost(or keep the economy from tanking all together?)?
21.gif
confused2.gif

Last edited:
My current oil stash cost an average of $1.50 a qt. and I have enough to last me about 17 years, but I can't stop thinking about what the price shock is going to be when I go to buy oil in 17 years and it's $20 a quart.
crazy2.gif

What happened to years ago when prices vs pay checks were a lot more balanced?? I`d like to go back to those day`s, living in these day`s are depressing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back