More Price Hikes Coming To A Store Near You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: YotaTaco
My current oil stash cost an average of $1.50 a qt. and I have enough to last me about 17 years, but I can't stop thinking about what the price shock is going to be when I go to buy oil in 17 years and it's $20 a quart.
crazy2.gif

...or even if there is oil in 17 years?
crazy2.gif

I wonder what would happen to the 'true' syns, of non-petro base? Would Amsoil or Red Line still exist?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Somebody has to pay for the re- formulation to SN.

That is a load tig. This isn't about SN. This is just flat out ridiculous. If anything the additive packs have gotten smaller. (API SN) is not driving this madness.

It is kind of like home insurance companies in FL. They constantly increase homeowners insurance even though there hasn't been a Hurricane in years and property values have decreased substantially. They don't ask for 5-10% increases though, it is more like 40-60% at a time. It is just flat out greed.

So the time and research to re-formulate engine oil is free for oil companies? And you believe SN oils are inferior to SM oils? And you think a modest increase(5% at WM since SN re-formulation)) in engine oil is Madness? And engine oil prices have something to do with hurricanes in Florida? Very interesting!

I think a better question is why do they keep re-formulating oil? There was nothing wrong with SL and SJ...

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is why I have a (somewhat) bloated stash of around 80 gallons of oil at the moment-I still don't think runaway inflation is a sure thing, but it doesn't hurt to have a couple years supply on hand. Now if I could just find a place for that 1000 gallon diesel tank...

The moose has it right.
When it's cheap, load up.
When it's dear, use your stash.
No need to pay high prices for motor oil with a little planning.
There is an entire forum here devoted to deals.
It is the cheap price bible.

That is a load tig. This isn't about SN. This is just flat out ridiculous. If anything the additive packs have gotten smaller. (API SN) is not driving this madness.

It is kind of like home insurance companies in FL. They constantly increase homeowners insurance even though there hasn't been a Hurricane in years and property values have decreased substantially. They don't ask for 5-10% increases though, it is more like 40-60% at a time. It is just flat out greed.

Common uninformed, MSM influenced reaction. Oil has doubled because of our misguided government devaluing out dollar ON PURPOSE!

I hope you didnt buy the 24.99 bottle of Max Life. Thats really expensive Wal-Mart has it for 15.50 and most auto parts stores can buy 5qts and filter for between 17-25 depending on brand and what not.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
I hope you didnt buy the 24.99 bottle of Max Life. Thats really expensive Wal-Mart has it for 15.50 and most auto parts stores can buy 5qts and filter for between 17-25 depending on brand and what not.

MaxLife is up over $19 at Wal*Mart; maybe even higher than that by now; I haven't been in there for a couple of days.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
"Don't [censored] down my back and tell me its raining."
12.gif

ahh...great movie

I don't know if you guys noticed, or if this is like this at every store, but tonight at the wal-mart i work at, I put the new price tags up on Mobil products. Mobil 1 is now $26.62, and Mobil 1 EP is $30.21. Even Mobil Super is up over $13 now.
frown.gif
I also had to put new tags up for Maxlife. Like yall said, it's over $19. I remember in December I paid $13.50 for it. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is why I have a (somewhat) bloated stash of around 80 gallons of oil at the moment-I still don't think runaway inflation is a sure thing, but it doesn't hurt to have a couple years supply on hand. Now if I could just find a place for that 1000 gallon diesel tank...

Won't some of those stash go bad after xx yrs? I mean, won't the additives/chemicals in the oil degrade? well, Maybe you're not stashing those 80 gallons for just 2 vehicles (like I was originally thinking)
lol.gif

My local WM just raised the price of their oil services...

31.88 for standard conventional.

$35 (Rollback price......currently, no idea the "actual" price) for High Mileage Castrol GTX service.

$54.88 for the Full Synthetic oil service.

Basically, they raised the standard $1.88, dropped the "HM" by 5 bucks (regular I think it was $40), and then they dropped the cost of the Full synthetic by $0.12 LOL.

Which is "understandable" being that their lube services allows for "ANY" bottled oil requested.....so if you pull in for a Royal Purple oil change for 54.88 . I'm guessing the store actually is losing money
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi

So the time and research to re-formulate engine oil is free for oil companies? And you believe SN oils are inferior to SM oils? And you think a modest increase(5% at WM since SN re-formulation)) in engine oil is Madness? And engine oil prices have something to do with hurricanes in Florida? Very interesting!

I think a better question is why do they keep re-formulating oil? There was nothing wrong with SL and SJ...

There is in the case of cars that burn some oil, and use a very sensitive catalyst.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Boys, it going to get much worse.

Bank on it.

How much worse? You mean like $50 for a 5 quart bottle?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
"Don't [censored] down my back and tell me its raining."
12.gif

That's called "Trickle-Down Economics". In theory, your supposed to enjoy it. In practice, it's like your quote.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Bank on it.

confused2.gif

Yup,for Conventional.
eek.gif

So we should never try to improve what we have? What if they said API SB was good enough and never bothered trying to improve it? What if Henry Ford said the Model T was good enough and never tried designing or building anything else? If Microsoft said there was nothing wrong with Windows 95 and didn't come up with something better...you get the idea.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Bank on it.

confused2.gif

In 1978 I paid $5 a qt for M1 5-20. Today, I pay $ 5.25 for M1 oil at WM.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

So we should never try to improve what we have?
I think it's a case of "diminishing returns". The improvements from one formulation to the next keep getting smaller, but the price increases keep getting bigger.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

So we should never try to improve what we have? What if they said API SB was good enough and never bothered trying to improve it? What if Henry Ford said the Model T was good enough and never tried designing or building anything else? If Microsoft said there was nothing wrong with Windows 95 and didn't come up with something better...you get the idea.

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Someone else said the new forumulations are contributing to the higher prices. My point is this; if they want to keep reformulating oil, fine and dandy, do it and make it avaiable for those who want it, but keep the older forumlations around as well for those us who value lower prices more than being able to have the latest and greatest....we're now at the point where dino costs almost as much a syn, which is utterly ridiculous...I should still be able to go anywhere and find regular ol' dino for $1.99 a qt....

Last edited:
I'm so surprised at all the members here that are willing to drink the kool aide offered by the corporate borg media that is claiming that inflation is occuring mostly because of the fed printing too many dollars...

Sure that is SOME of the reason, but not MOST of the reason.

The bulk of the increases is indeed because consumers are not buying that much today so the companies are raising prices to make up for it and also gaining a bit more profit in the end.

Shear, unadulterated GREED. It is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back