Sratch that MOTUL E-Tech 0W-40 for summer. This is it! The one oil for it all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
y_p_w, I'm sure that extensive list of reference posts on BITOG will keep you sufficiently entertained.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

It has some PAO in it whuch is good since they enhance each others performance and strengthen their weaknesses.

Someone will have to explain that to me. I especially want to know who "they" are and why it's good that they strengthen each others weaknesses.
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm out, because this swapping-one-5W-40-for-another-5W-40 game is just plain silly and a total waste. But to each his own!
grin.gif

Well, PAO's by themselves are, from what I've read, rather inert by themselves and need some type of carrier oil. In the past they used small amounts of mineral oil but the better brands are using esters now. The esters, in theory, have an affinity for moisture and the PAO's help them w/ that, I believe. I know I am getting some things skewed and am leaving out others but the gist of this is correct. I'll try and find the info.

V8blitz, whatever you do, you do not want to "strenghten their weaknesses." But again, thanks for the lesson.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:

quote:

quote:

It has some PAO in it whuch is good since they enhance each others performance and strengthen their weaknesses.

Someone will have to explain that to me. I especially want to know who "they" are and why it's good that they strengthen each others weaknesses.
wink.gif

Anyway, I'm out, because this swapping-one-5W-40-for-another-5W-40 game is just plain silly and a total waste. But to each his own!
grin.gif

Well, PAO's by themselves are, from what I've read, rather inert by themselves and need some type of carrier oil. In the past they used small amounts of mineral oil but the better brands are using esters now. The esters, in theory, have an affinity for moisture and the PAO's help them w/ that, I believe. I know I am getting some things skewed and am leaving out others but the gist of this is correct. I'll try and find the info.

I think you're getting there. The problem with PAO is that additives aren't terribly soluble in it, it shrinks seals, and it has poor detergent properties. Mixing in a little bit of ester helps with all three of these things. And pretty much any PAO-based oil motor oil in the past 20 years was blended with esters, except for Mobil's alkylated napthalene in place of esters. I believe it was quickly learned that PAO alone sucked big time.

Mobil 1 used to be labelled "100% synthetic base oil exclusive of additive carrier oil". The additive package was "carried" in a base of mineral oil (much like asprin would be mixed with starch) before being added to the final product. I think with their volume, Mobil may have switched to an synthetic carrier oil.

quote:

Thanks for the lesson, y_p_w. What you just said has never been said on this site before, I've never read it before, and it's all news to me.
wink.gif

My issue was with the garbled, non-sensical form in which the statement was presented, but I guess I didn't make that clear enough. I guess I should have been blunt.

PS: Not all esters are created equal, but whether or not all types of esters invariably swell seals, I'll leave that for y_p_w to find out. I'm sure he'll tell us.
tongue.gif

What was so "non-sensical and garbled"? Because you had never heard of it? Maybe it could have been worded better but when I said "strengthen their weakness", I think it was fairly obvious that what I meant was the weak points were beefed-up on each front, eg: made stronger. No offense taken
wink.gif
I'll try to link something to explain, as the link system (and the posting in general here) sucks. www.silkoleneoil.com/index/htm

[ May 25, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: V8Blitz ]

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:

quote:

quote:

wink.gif

grin.gif

PAO tends to harden/shrink seals. Esters tend to soften/swell seals. PAO is a poor solvent, while esters are an excellent solvent. However - I'm thinking that ester-only may not be a good thing because there could be excessive seal swell and the ability of esters to bond to surfaces may cause competition with detergents or antiwear additives that also do the same. There has to be a balance.

By blending the PAO with esters, one brings order to the Force.
wink.gif

But really - Mobil seems to have ditched esters (in some Mobil 1 formulas) in favor of their alkylated napthalene base oils. They claim better seal compatibility than esters.

Thanks for the clarification and the finer details
smile.gif

If I were a mod, I'd lock this thread already and throw away the key. V8 has everyone worked up as the new kid with the coolest toy. He's brought all kinds of posters out of the woodwork and stimulated discussion of some cool products. He also knows enough shop stuff that he takes an interest in tweaking his car and has come to the right place, here. Instead of everyone trying to pick his oil for him, as he originally asked, a better way would be for him and us to relax and let him report on HIS experiences. Again, relax could also mean for him to relax and run his current oil out to the point that he has a full understanding of it's performance and swap it later rather than sooner. That would be best for everyone because we would all know what's up with this situation.
grin.gif
Drain T&S after a week? No wonder everyone is rattled.
frown.gif
cheers.gif

[ May 25, 2005, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

quote:

What was so "non-sensical and garbled"? Because you had never heard of it? Maybe it could have been worded better but when I said "strengthen their weakness", I think it was fairly obvious that what I meant was the weak points were beefed-up on each front, eg: made stronger. No offense taken [Wink] I'll try to link something to explain, as the link system (and the posting in general here) sucks.

You would not want "to strengthen weaknesses." You would want to diminsh them, neutralize them. You want to say that PAO and esters work ideally in a synergistic manner. My comment had nothing to do with the PAO/ester properties, as it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE around here. My issue was with your syntax and choice of words, which I found lacking clarity. Read again what you wrote and tell me that's proper:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What was so "non-sensical and garbled"? Because you had never heard of it? Maybe it could have been worded better but when I said "strengthen their weakness", I think it was fairly obvious that what I meant was the weak points were beefed-up on each front, eg: made stronger. No offense taken [Wink] I'll try to link something to explain, as the link system (and the posting in general here) sucks.

You would not want "to strengthen weaknesses." You would want to diminsh them, neutralize them. You want to say that PAO and esters work ideally in a synergistic manner. My comment had nothing to do with the PAO/ester properties, as it is COMMON KNOWLEDGE around here. My issue was with your syntax and choice of words, which I found lacking clarity. Read again what you wrote and tell me that's proper:

quote:

It has some PAO in it which is good since they enhance each others performance and strengthen their weaknesses.

Moribundman, you are right. I definitely worded my statement in an unclear manner. I apologize. My inability to express myself clearly in a written manner is a weakness that I need to strengthen...............
lol.gif
That was a good one!

quote:

Originally posted by V8Blitz:
-60 degree pour point, [email protected] and @104-92.35. Flash point-383. VI-169. I think this is the oil for me.

Why do you think you car wants or needs 14.89 cSt of viscocity? Most modern cars are happier with around 10 cSt.

The other question is what kind of HTHS numbers are associated with this oil?

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Another option is Redline Oil. They say you can drop one SAE grade (you could run a 10w30) if you want to and get the same protection. Redline is ester based (best guess seems about 50%) and you might still be able to get the Advance Auto closeout price of $5.98 a quart if your AA has any left.

Red Line uses 100% polyol esters as their base fluid.

quote:

Originally posted by y_p_w:
Red Line uses 100% polyol esters as their base fluid.

http://www.redlineoil.com/why_redline.asp

quote:

Red Line Oil’s team of chemists and blenders formulate fully-synthetic oils and chemically-advanced additives using only the world’s finest base stocks. This makes Red Line Oil the premium product on the shelf. It’s not designed to be the cheapest—it’s built to be the best. Rather than cutting costs by blending into polyalphaolefin base stock for its motor oil, Red Line Oil only uses superior poly ester-based products—resulting in lubricants that are extremely stable at high temperatures while providing superior film strength at lower viscosities where more power can be produced.

I'm not convinced that 100% ester is a great idea, but if it works OK.........

Hey, cut the kid some slack ...he's only 23!

BTW, how many drugs do you have to sell to buy a $50k, Audi S4 at your age?
smile.gif

TS

offtopic.gif

I've got a friend from my MBA school that one day decided to quit his management job and became a bartender in NYC. He's making more now than at his previous desk job.
smile.gif

quote:

If you're old enough to post you have to learn to take the heat.
wink.gif

Anyway, V8Blitz, if I was giving you a hard time, I'm sorry. I'm just a sarcastic old nitpicker with a chip on my shoulder!
tongue.gif

PS: TooSlick scares me. He knows way too much about people.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

BTW, how many drugs do you have to sell to buy a $50k, Audi S4 at your age?
smile.gif

TS

Oh, about 200 hits of "X" a week..................................................................JK!
wink.gif

quote:

quote:

If you're old enough to post you have to learn to take the heat.
wink.gif

Anyway, V8Blitz, if I was giving you a hard time, I'm sorry. I'm just a sarcastic old nitpicker with a chip on my shoulder!
tongue.gif

PS: TooSlick scares me. He knows way too much about people.

No prob, bud!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back