Squirrel. Fat or pregnant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must be a Texas Squirel!
LOL.gif

(Yes I have been to Texas, and have friends that live there who I visit time to time)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wonder if that squirrel has a sweat towel?
LOL.gif

From the looks of her, I'd say she's probably never even heard of a sweat towel
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
It looks like dinner to me.
LOL.gif

But you live in California... Shouldn't you be in the South-Eastern states?
LOL.gif
(J/K)

48.gif

A few years ago, I had a couple squirrels trained to come into my kitchen to get their tasty treats which were layed about on the floor. If I placed a nut right next to my foot (actually touching my toe), he would come and get it. However, he wouldn't take a nut placed on top of my foot. He came right up to the foot, looked at the nut, thought it over, but decided to leave the nut alone. I guess he figured that's my nut and he shouldn't take it.

I also had blue jays coming into my sun room to get their treats. Bad idea, though, because their bird brains had a hard time differentiating between the sun room's glass panes and the open door. A couple birds flew into the glass panes, and I think one got a concussion. His singing sounded weird ever since that day.
So I stopped feeding the jays in the sun room, and never taught them to come further into the house, like the kitchen. But squirrels are very smart--and squirelly ;-)

Last edited:
And I love the metallic sounds grackles make while feeding. At one point, I must have had 3 dozen grackles hanging out in the branches of a very tall tree above the house.

Woodpeckers, cardinals, electric orange orioles, wrens, bluebirds, robins, chickadees...they're all so much fun to feed and watch.

Last edited:
I had a pet squirrel that had no problem jumping on my lap and helping himself to the peanuts I was eating. I couldn't keep him away.

They may be smart, but they have a short memory. I used to pull a joke on him where he'd jump into a bucket of snow. He wised up for a while. But after five minutes I could pull the gag on him again.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
They may be smart, but they have a short memory.

Squirrels have to hide nuts everywhere due to their non-existent long term memory. They find their own and other squirrels' nut caches only through random digging in typical hiding spots. It's almost like a memory erase-and-reset button gets pushed every 45 seconds in a squirrel's brain.

He was orphaned and fell out of my tree at an early age. He was an infant.. eyes weren't yet opened. So I adopted him and kept him seven months through the winter. He also adopted me. I was mother, father, and tree to him until I let him free when the weather got warm.

I bet he was jumping all over the house as he got older? I read squirrels don't make good pets because of that. They'll jump onto the curtains, the fridge; and from the top of the curtains, they'll suddenly jump onto your head, and everywhere else. They won't stop jumping [chuckle]. Tree squirrels are natural jumpers. They gotta jump. (That's what the book said, anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back