Squeaky 2006 Accord

My 2006 Accord has developed a squeaking sound. Seems to be coming from the accessory belt area. For some time it's made some squeaking noises upon startup, but in the last couple of days it's been more steady. It seems to go away once the engine is above 1,500 RPMs or so, when I press the clutch and let the RPMs drop it'll come on almost instantly as they fall below 1,500. It has about 204k miles FWIW. Any tips on where to start?

jeff

timing VTC Actuator issue most likely
You know what, a few months ago the car threw a P1009 code, which I believe indicates a problem with the VTEC solenoid. No driveability issues and the code never came back. Looks like the first step on that one is to pull it and the strainer out, clean, reassemble, and see what happens? I guess the other end of the spectrum would be to put a new tensioner, belt, and solenoid on.

jeff

You know what, a few months ago the car threw a P1009 code, which I believe indicates a problem with the VTEC solenoid. No driveability issues and the code never came back. Looks like the first step on that one is to pull it and the strainer out, clean, reassemble, and see what happens? I guess the other end of the spectrum would be to put a new tensioner, belt, and solenoid on.

jeff
VTC issue on K24 is very common

Pop the accessory belt off and see if the noise is still there. If no noise, it is in the tensioner/drive belt system. If the noise is still there, continue on with the looking. Quickest way to narrow it down without loading the parts cannon.

VTC issue on K24 is very common
It's funny to hear any problem with this engine described as "very common" 😁 . Mine's 16+ years old, has about 205k miles, and has been the most reliable car & engine I've ever had and it's not even close.

I'm going to work on this tomorrow. Will remove the belt and see if the sound is still there first. If it is, then I'll proceed with pulling and cleaning the screen and VTC solenoid. YouTube video showed cleaning these with brake cleaner - that OK or is something else preferred?

If the sound isn't there with the belt removed, what's the best way to diagnose the tensioner?

jeff

It's funny to hear any problem with this engine described as "very common" 😁 . Mine's 16+ years old, has about 205k miles, and has been the most reliable car & engine I've ever had and it's not even close.

I'm going to work on this tomorrow. Will remove the belt and see if the sound is still there first. If it is, then I'll proceed with pulling and cleaning the screen and VTC solenoid. YouTube video showed cleaning these with brake cleaner - that OK or is something else preferred?

If the sound isn't there with the belt removed, what's the best way to diagnose the tensioner?

jeff
Be careful with the brake cleaner around o-rings. Unless you're going to replace them. Certain brake cleaners can swell certain o-rings and you won't get them back in where they are supposed to go.

An "update" on this - the sound disappeared and I ended up too busy on Friday to check it out lol. I'll wait for it to come back.

Next problem - no heat! I'll check the heater control valve first.

jeff

Back