Spotted 2021 Mustang Mach-E today at grocery store

View attachment 53678

You could make quite the business in making and marketing grill decals or "wraps" or even airbrushing Façade trompe l'oeil
I've thought exactly the same thing. It would probably fail though as most people buying these EVs want them to look different and stand out. Guys who don't/won't own Teslas want them to have a grille. Thoughts JeffK?

That ****stang is ugly! Ford should be ashamed. I have owned a 66 fastback an 85 GT and a 98 Convertible. If you gave me one of these the first thing i'd do it sell it.

My cousin had a 1977 King Cobra Mustang II. Black with Gold stripes.
very similar these days

5425E8B7-1E78-47EE-95F2-8F4F26EA0D86.jpg

Warning: Long and off-topic. You have been warned.
Those two cars bring back memories. More on that later. Your bottom photo shows the 1978 King Cobra. You see that fake hood scoop on that '78? All they did in 1978 was to TURN THE HOOD SCOOP AROUND! It was mentioned in a previous post that these versions were around for 4 years. Let's see now... 1973 was the last of the big bloated Mustangs, so we have 1974, 1975, 1975, 1977 and 1978. You do the math. 1974 was not available with the V8. '75, '76, '77 and '78 had the severely anemic 302 available.
I will readily admit I had a '76 Cobra II with the 302. I was young, invincible and it was a babe-magnet. It was also too slow. I was right out of automotive tech school, so I had to do something about that. I rebuilt a 302 with a boss 302 forged crank and rods. Pistons were some forged TRWs that I had the head milled off and the engine balanced. I saw an article in Hot Rod magazine about a '69 351 windsor head build up, so I sent two of those heads to Valley Head Service in California to have them install big Chevy valves and severely massage the intakes and exhausts. The manual transmissions that came with the Mustang II cars was not a toploader but some weak wannabe, and since my car came with the C4 automatic, I replaced it with a C4 that was rated for 900 HP. (These are still advertised in some magazines, I think) To fit in this Pinto body, the C4 Mustang II transmissions came with an extremely small bellhousing and torque converter. I also had headers that I had to modify several times to fit between the engine and the inner fenders. The 9-inch rear end came out of a '57 Ford station wagon and the front 4-lug discs were replaced with 5-bolt discs that a lot of the T-bucket builders were using. My car was also proof that you could get a true dual exhaust under that car, you just had to have both mufflers and exhaust pipes exit out the rear on the passenger side because the gas tank used the whole left side. To top this all off, my final intake system was a 3X2 Buddy Bar six pack with three Holleys that I still own. (Photos available upon request :cool:) The hood scoop that I put on my car was from a '69 Torino and I had to cut a hole in the hood to get the oval air cleaner out from under the hood. I had a rear plastic louver/sun shade covering the hatch and side louvers that covered the back-side windows. Admire it or throw up over it, it was a head-turner. My nephew now has the car, but I know he's not driving it or maybe he has sold it to the scrap man, I'm not sure.
Would I do this setup again? Oh, heck no. The body is weaker than a gum wrapper and dangerous as all get out, especially in a wreck. Those photos really DO bring back memories, however. My car was white with blue stripes.

Wow, so many people off their rockers here. I actually like the looks of the Mustang Mach-E. Ford did a much better job than Chevy did with the Bolt, and Nissan with the Leaf.

As for the name. Come of folks, this isn’t an actual replacement for the 2 door Mustang. The name Mustang Mach-E name was chosen to give the Mach-E some longstanding heritage. Personally, I think it was smart to do that. Ford is the first that I know of to incorporate prior history with futuristic electrification. The goal here is to not isolate ICE vehicle buyers and Electric car buyers into two separate groups.

For everyone that is blatantly upset about Fords decision to use the Mustang name for the Mach-E, are you happy with GM’s decision to change the GM logo in favor of electrification? I think Ford did it a bit more tastefully.

Attachments

• 54BD06D4-0637-4608-9ECE-11611B4E6334.jpg
    54BD06D4-0637-4608-9ECE-11611B4E6334.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 3
I've thought exactly the same thing. It would probably fail though as most people buying these EVs want them to look different and stand out. Guys who don't/won't own Teslas want them to have a grille. Thoughts JeffK?
I try to not have opinions on other people's taste in cars. Wifey and I chose the Tesla because of the tech and other reasons.
I salute and support this great American company for their efforts and successes. Against great odds and naysayers.
Sue is in charge of world wide computer operations at a $10B Silicon Valley company. I do predictive analytics programming.

The Mach-E and Audi are not for me. But I'm sure others will love them for their own likes and reasons.
Some people like Fords and some people like German cars...
Electrifying something you already have? No thanks.
Some people want different looking cars like the Leaf and Prius before it. Me, not so much. I find them pretty ugly.
But the futuristic Model 3 is amazing. There is no other EV (or car) like it.
What I like about the Teslas is they are not trying to be like any other car, or to be different.
Teslas stand on the own as ground breakers. They have changed the world.

Look at that gorgeous Porsche Taycan. Porsche is a legendary company. Yet the startup Tesla will build the Raodster 2 that will annihilate it and any other production car ever made. The snotty nosed kid beats up the heavyweight champion of the world. That's something.

But that's just me. Each to their own.

It takes quite a lot of creativity to imagine and then create something like this. Have mercy...

Tesla Roadster.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, so many people off their rockers here. I actually like the looks of the Mustang Mach-E. Ford did a much better job than Chevy did with the Bolt, and Nissan with the Leaf.

As for the name. Come of folks, this isn’t an actual replacement for the 2 door Mustang. The name Mustang Mach-E name was chosen to give the Mach-E some longstanding heritage. Personally, I think it was smart to do that. Ford is the first that I know of to incorporate prior history with futuristic electrification. The goal here is to not isolate ICE vehicle buyers and Electric car buyers into two separate groups.

For everyone that is blatantly upset about Fords decision to use the Mustang name for the Mach-E, are you happy with GM’s decision to change the GM logo in favor of electrification? I think Ford did it a bit more tastefully.

I've hated all the revamped logos ever since Olds got rid of the classic Rocket logo.

That ****stang is ugly! Ford should be ashamed. I have owned a 66 fastback an 85 GT and a 98 Convertible. If you gave me one of these the first thing i'd do it sell it.
Its a good driver. You don't like good drivers? Ford still makes multiple iterations of the Mustang for you "Teenager's" in Khakis and Polo shirts. :)
I do agree the nose could have been better attended to in the Styling Dept. If I was the Cheif I would have absolutely rejected that.
Don't the the Big bosses that give go-aheads put their foot down anymore? Or maybe that are just not car guys - just business "beautiful people" raking in stock options and bonies all the while jumping from helm to helm every 3 years or so,

I think Ford will be quite successful with this vehicle. I own a 2018 Mustang and a coworker has been leasing Escapes for more years than I care to remember. He last leased one about a month ago and asked me if I saw the new 2021 Mustang? I said yeah it looks just like my 2018. He says no its an SUV now. That is the moment I realized that Ford knew exactly what they were doing naming it a Mustang. There are way more non car people out there than car people. So more than 50% of car buyers have no clue that this is not a real Mustang. Yet they will buy or lease one and feel the Mustang ownership experience.

Don

Back