Speed Limit Displayed inside instrument panel

The VW uses it's cell modem to update the infotainment system regardless if you pay for hotspot use. It will also only pull traffic data for the in-car NAV if you pay for the hotspot & the premium NAV feature otherwise it works without it.

I am pretty sure the Chevy is the same way for Onstar stuff.

So yes I imagine is cheaper to some extent to just include the hardware and disable it via software.

I recently rented a Penske 26 foot moving truck. It would apply the brake if the speed limit was exceeded by 5mph. Unfortunately, it decided that the speed limit on I-81 was 30mph and helpfully slammed on the brakes for me. That was followed by an angry driver passing me, blowing the horn and flipping me off. I hung my head in shame

my wonderful 2009 F150 has no nanny features and I think I’m going to drive that thing as long as I can.

It is funny that Tesla does NOT do that :-( It has wrong speed limits in my own town. It is very surprising because Elon wants to use cameras for self driving but are NOT using cameras for speed limit sign detection yet! Is there a patent on visual traffic sign recognition by somebody?
Yesterday a semitrailer was between me and a speed sign I pass regularly. My Tesla, which is very good at picking up changes in speed zones (and has never missed that change before) missed it. So I'm pretty sure my Tesla picks up the speed limit from the signs.

Yesterday a semitrailer was between me and a speed sign I pass regularly. My Tesla, which is very good at picking up changes in speed zones (and has never missed that change before) missed it. So I'm pretty sure my Tesla picks up the speed limit from the signs.
Mine 2018; is yours newer?

My 2021 F150 (no BlueCruise) definitely reads signs. The owners manual even calls it the Speed Sign Recognition System, see attached. But I think there may also be an additional GPS layer of speed limit control with BlueCruise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220720-061102.jpg
    Screenshot_20220720-061102.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
2021. Not quite a year old. And it has frequent software updates. Does yours?
Updates the software all the time! I think hardware content is different between 2018 and 2021 and the sign recognition might have been enabled on older cars? Next time I will keep close eye to see if it is reading the signs but for years, I had assumed it was based upon GPS data.

People drive $100k new vehicles with phone illegally at ear not using Bluetooth/ CarPlay / Android integrations integrations. They can’t be bothered to hookup phone so Navi makes sense to pay for.

Few times, the Accord was giving me a hall pass by displaying speed limit as 90! I was on US 290W So much for machine reading and AI

Back