Garmin’s Portable Head’s Up Display (HUD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=380520

Garmin just hours ago announced it has created a portable Head’s Up Display (HUD), the company’s first portable head-up display for smartphone navigation apps. The HUD projects crisp and bright directions onto a transparent film on the windshield or an attached reflector lens. By providing comprehensive road guidance at a glance and right within the driver’s line of sight, HUD can help increase safety and reduce driver distraction. HUD receives navigation information from a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone running a Garmin StreetPilot or NAVIGON app.

HUD offers more navigation details than other portable head-up displays, yet presents them in a simplified way that doesn’t divert the driver’s attention from the road. The directions are easy to follow and allow drivers to navigate even the most challenging interchanges and traffic situations with ease. HUD displays turn arrows, distance to the next turn, current speed and speed limit, as well as estimated time of arrival. It even lets drivers know what lane to be in for the next maneuver and alerts them when they exceed the speed limit! HUD also warns users of potential traffic delays and upcoming safety camera locations. The crisp display automatically adjusts the brightness level so projections are clearly visible in direct sunlight or at night.

Complementing the visual display, spoken turn-by-turn directions are provided simultaneously by a compatible Garmin or Navigon app, either through the smartphone speaker or a Bluetooth-connected car stereo. Music streamed to the car stereo from the smartphone will automatically fade out for turn-by-turn voice prompts. HUD also continues to display navigation information while taking incoming calls.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
With any luck NHTSA will stop this in its tracks.

Plenty of high end cars have HUD as a factory option already.

Talk about a distraction.

GM had numerous cars where the speedometer and other gauges would project into the windshield. It doesn't seem impossible to me to get an aftermarket device to do the same thing.

The question is why? Why do you need all this information?

I can hold my speed without looking at the speedometer. I don't need directions all the time. I don't need to know when I'll get somewhere. It's information overload.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I won't answer my phone or respond to a text while driving either. I can work the factory radio without looking down or at it, and do the same with the HVAC, wipers, etc.

I really dread ever having to replace my current vehicles. I don't want any of this garbage at all.

I can hold my speed without looking at the speedometer. I don't need directions all the time. I don't need to know when I'll get somewhere. It's information overload.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I won't answer my phone or respond to a text while driving either. I can work the factory radio without looking down or at it, and do the same with the HVAC, wipers, etc.

I really dread ever having to replace my current vehicles. I don't want any of this garbage at all.

garmin-hud-1.jpg

the idea is it limits distractions

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/08/garmin-head-up-display/

I'd much rather have the person in the car next to me looking at their windshield than at a piece of paper in their hand reading direction.

I don't want any of this garbage at all.

Nobody is forcing it down your throat. And it is not always needed. But if you're traveling to some place new, not knowing how to get there, would you rather glance at the bottom of your windshield or would you rather take sneak peeks at a map on your lap? Which one is safer?

Talk about a distraction.

How is this any worse than a regular windshield-mounted GPS? To me, it looks less distracting.

Looks like discussion at this point is moot:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Garmin HUD

confused2.gif

It also says "Order processing time is 5–8 weeks," which means Garmin is expecting the necessary FCC approvals to come in by then. They wouldn't be putting it up on their website and generating media publicity if FCC approval wasn't just a formality at this point, IMO.

What if you don't have a smart phone? Don't smart phone's ability to have GPS cost money? my GPS is free to use after initial cost

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrRPM
What if you don't have a smart phone? Don't smart phone's ability to have GPS cost money? my GPS is free to use after initial cost

I'm pretty sure smartphone with a data plan is a mandatory requirement for this HUD:

Quote:
For use with Garmin StreetPilot® for iPhone® or NAVIGON mobile apps

Ability to have GPS does not cost anything, but that's not enough for this HUD to work. It relies on your phone's data connection to pull map and directions/nagivation instructions, and have a data connection does cost money. Unless Garmin gives you an option to download all maps locally to your phone. I don't know if they do.

In addition, the Garmine iPhone/Android app that's required to be installed on your phone costs money too. Last time I checked it was $40 for Android.

Garmin's StreetPilot line of apps do store the data onboard the phone or device, so there is not necessarily a reliance on a cellular connection. You could, for example, install one on a Wi-Fi only tablet that has a GPS sensor.

Myself, I use CoPilot Live Premium on a Wi-Fi only Android tablet when traveling in our CR-V. It's pretty good...I think it was $20 back when I bought it; looks like it's $10 today.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.namarket.premiumusa&hl=en

Here's an old thread on that app, plus the tablet holder that I made for the car (which I still use today):

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2531724&page=1

Simple - do not buy it.
smile.gif

There's always this type of response to GPS device or similar - People who say "I'd rather drive with my knees and hold a map in my hands like a real man, 'çause I know how to read a freaking paper map!"
smile.gif
- THAT is a safety issue, not a HUD.
IDK why, but some people like hating any tech gadget just for the sake of hating technology because it's cool to do that or something ...

Like QP said, I am pretty sure people who do not buy this unit will not be punished.
smile.gif

Same goes for the fear of getting similar technology in your future vehicles. Pretty sure they won't force you to buy it or make them standard on every trim level.

I for one, who have to use a traditional protable GPS in 2 of our cars (only wife's Mazda has built in navigation), think this could be a lot less distracting and has potential.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Same goes for the fear of getting similar technology in your future vehicles. Pretty sure they won't force you to buy it or make them standard on every trim level.

I for one, who have to use a traditional protable GPS in 2 of our cars (only wife's Mazda has built in navigation), think this could be a lot less distracting and has potential.

I don't think all the bells and whistles are going into every base car but the technology rather than simple features are becoming hard to avoid. We bought the most bottom of the line Chevy Cruze possible and among the base features are Bluetooth and USB connectivity for Ipods, MP3 players, etc.

I'm not complaining, but I also wasn't looking for these when we were searching for a car. I don't get to drive the Cruze much but they are awesome features to have, but I know there are many out there that don't want another thing that can break, myself included when we were searching for a car. I still accidentally hit the OnStar button every so often when adjusting the rearview....

I am not saying all tech is always good - I know it can be overdone, and that I also won't like.
When my wife got the car, she initially didn't think she'd use Blue tooth / USB etc, but since she started using them one day, and just gave it a try, she loves it - and it's safe and less distracting, too. I cannot say how great the blind spot monitoring (was standard also on her car) is - a VERY good safety measure.

And as for things breaking, etc - if it's something like USB / blue tooth that the owner didn't want but came standard at no extra cost, as long it's functionality doesn't affect other parts of the car, then she/he won't even notice that it's broken, as they didn't want it, and weren't using/needing it anyway.

My only concern with things breaking is how, once broken, it impacts other aspects of operation. A better example might have been automatic locks and windows. My saturn had a door lock problem, locks would lock and unlock automatically. Eventually fixed it but you can imagine why that might be annoying. Than again, my Dad had crank down windows and about 90% of the time I drive his car, the crank comes out which results in my distracted driving while trying to reinstall and roll down the window.

That said, I agree 100% with 97tbird's points. I picked the Bluetooth and USB ports because it wasn't something I was thinking about when searching (a '13 Cruze is a world apart from a '99 Saturn) but they are great features, and I'd actually look for stuff like this the next time we buy something new. I even debated going out to replace the radio in my Saturn with something with Bluetooth because I agree it's a lot safer.

Easy to get hooked once you try this stuff out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

Easy to get hooked once you try this stuff out.

Yep - I have felt a few pangs of jealousy at some things my wife's Mazda has (blue tooth/integrated nav, one touch triple-blink turn signals, and blind spot monitoring), despite my love for the sporty, and rather minimalistic interior (comparatively) of my E46...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back