Speed Limit Displayed inside instrument panel

Spending some time right now in DFW area (did we pick up the right time!!) and have a rental vehicle.

I suddenly realized that many new vehicles display current speed limit. This implies that it has all the hardware and software to give you built-in navigation as that is necessary to be able to figure out where the car is currently located and to have the entire GPS navigation database accessible to the car. It seems like these days, manufacturers are putting in all the hardware and software in the car and then charge big bucks to turn on the feature (aka say built-in navigation)

Given the availability of Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, very few people would be forking out the large sum for built-in navigation. Is the cost of pre-fitting every vehicle with all the hardware/software very cheap? Do they even have built-in LTE cellular hardware even if you don't pay for that option? Has the hardware prices for GPS and LTE connectivity dropped to few cents these days?

My Honda just captures the speed limit signs using the forward camera.
I am driving 2021 Accord rental. Does it really do that? I do recall the seeing the speed limit sign and updated limit in the panel was almost instantaneous.

Your idea makes lot of sense because sometimes I do NOT see the speed limit displayed in the instrument panel.

P.S. Indeed, that is what Honda does! Just found YouTube video showing the TrafficSignRecognition system.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a big 12-15 inch navi screen be better than a GPS or phone screen?
Can you explain what you mean by your comment? The CarPlay etc uses the full navi screen instead of standalone GPS unit or the phone screen.

I am assuming that every 2022 vehicle comes with CarPlay and AndroidAuto as standard or at least no sane person would purchase a new vehicle without that feature.

I need to get confirmation for this. I am driving 2021 Accord rental. Does it really do that? I do recall the seeing the speed limit sign and updated limit in the panel was almost instantaneous.

Your idea makes lot of sense because sometimes I do NOT see the speed limit displayed in the instrument panel.
I know where the signs are locally and there's a spot where it goes from 45 to 55 right after a stoplight. If a semi is in the right lane next to me it won't update until the second 55 sign.

Can you explain what you mean by your comment? The CarPlay etc uses the full navi screen instead of standalone GPS unit or the phone screen.

I am assuming that every 2022 vehicle comes with CarPlay and AndroidAuto as standard or at least no sane person would purchase a new vehicle without that feature.
I use a Garmin for navigation so I can use it in any car I'm driving. While it's nice, if I had one car long term with those large 12-15 inch screens, I'd rather see the navi map on that.

I know where the signs are locally and there's a spot where it goes from 45 to 55 right after a stoplight. If a semi is in the right lane next to me it won't update until the second 55 sign.
It is funny that Tesla does NOT do that :-( It has wrong speed limits in my own town. It is very surprising because Elon wants to use cameras for self driving but are NOT using cameras for speed limit sign detection yet! Is there a patent on visual traffic sign recognition by somebody?

yes the cars with the equipment behind the rear view mear most likely have a forward camera that reads those speed limit signs.

I know in the jeeps there is no charge for that thing is not a subscription.

It is more expensive to get your windshield replaced if you have this type of camera because there is additional labor, said the guy who replaced the windshield on my non-equipped Escape.

yes the cars with the equipment behind the rear view mear most likely have a forward camera that reads those speed limit signs.

I know in the jeeps there is no charge for that thing is not a subscription.

It is more expensive to get your windshield replaced if you have this type of camera because there is additional labor, said the guy who replaced the windshield on my non-equipped Escape.

Yep. I have the camera and some sensors forward of the rear view mirror. Besides Speed Limit signs I also get Stop and Do Not Enter notifications visually in the HUD. Of course my Mk2 eyeball catches all these first.

Our windshield caught a rock off of a dump truck not long after we bought it. The replacement was $1100. Thank goodness for the $50 deductible.

My Buick Regal GS displays the speed limit as the rest. :cool:
1658193825048.jpeg

Last edited:
My Mazda and Jaguar both have Navigation and the speed limit display is visible on both cars. It apparently works through a combination of being able to read actual road signs and some kind of data that it receives from the map software. In both cars there are settings to receive alerts if you exceed the speed limits and I think you can also set the cruise control systems to follow the speed limits.

I have noticed how quickly the display changes when transitioning from one speed limit zone to another which makes me think the camera is picking up the sign but who knows. One thing both cars have a problem with is a school zone in my town. The speed limit on the highway through town is 30 MPH but it drops to 25 MPH in front of the school. The displays in both cars continue to show 30 MPH there,

My Mazda and Jaguar both have Navigation and the speed limit display is visible on both cars. It apparently works through a combination of being able to read actual road signs and some kind of data that it receives from the map software. In both cars there are settings to receive alerts if you exceed the speed limits and I think you can also set the cruise control systems to follow the speed limits.

I have noticed how quickly the display changes when transitioning from one speed limit zone to another which makes me think the camera is picking up the sign but who knows. One thing both cars have a problem with is a school zone in my town. The speed limit on the highway through town is 30 MPH but it drops to 25 MPH in front of the school. The displays in both cars continue to show 30 MPH there,

Interesting thought. On a highway nearby the speed limit is 50mph but at one particular stretch the HUD changes to 35mph despite no sign posted. That could be a remnant of the GPS?

School zones do trick the system. A school zone we go thru has the sign that says 20mph when the lights are flashing. The system doesn’t know about the lights so it says 20mph every time.

Recently a stretch of highway near us reduced the speed limit from 50 to 45mph. The HUD picked that up right away.

Back