Spark plugs

I went with Denso Iridium TT's instead of the usual NGK iridium that Honda recommends in the Odyssey. It's been 70K miles since, no issues. I haven't visually inspected them for a while but I did around 40K of use and they looked fine. My VCM is muzzled so the engine is easier on plugs now. As always avoid Ebay and Amazon for spark plugs because of the higher chance of fakes.

What "OEM" plugs are we talking about. With the Both Toyota (who owns 49% of Denso) and Nissan, very, very often the "OEM" part may be identical to either a Denso or NTK labeled plug. Toyota seems to like to re-number them. Nissan doesn't even do that - they just use NTK plugs number. Its possible the Denso from RockAuto for 6 bucks is the same one the dealer has for $20.

With a Toyota I would just order the equivalent Denso and not try to downgrade. You can get Iridium for under 10 bucks each.

I didn't read the entire post, but from all the threads on the GM forums and FB groups, the general consensous is stick with what came out. I agree and in my case is AC Delco.

I had to replace the valve cover gasket on my Toyota, The intake had to come off to replace the rear gasket….The plugs and coils is doable with extensions and a u-joint socket.

Thinking about trying Denso copper plugs.
If the job is a pain, why are you choosing the shortest lived plug construction?

Why not choose the longest lived?

Perhaps 10 years or so ago, my brother installed new Bosch plugs in his wife's Bronco. A few hundred miles later, one plug blew the entire porcelain out, leaving the shell in the head. He replaced it with same and it and a different plug soon lost their porcelains.

He replaced them all with Motorcraft plugs and didn't have any more plug issues.

Because of this, Bosch is the one plug brand I avoid. I use NGK or Denso in everything (except the Ducati) in what ever electrode type was factory.

If the job is a pain, why are you choosing the shortest lived plug construction?

Why not choose the longest lived?

Depends. For an inline 4/6 it's really easy. I heard the primary reason for them in V and boxer engines is that the back plugs can be a huge pain to reach. I've never tried; I paid someone else to install plugs on my Subaru. But on a Civic it's easy, even though it came from the factory with NGK Laser Platinums. But even with long life plugs, I think it's a good idea to check them periodically, even if it's just an excuse to remove them to reduce the chance of the threads seizing. And maybe check, just in case a plug fails prematurely. Still - I remember seeing an ad for Denso Platinum plugs that said they could theoretically last the life of a vehicle. I've seen these kind of platinum plugs and the wear was almost nonexistent at the platinum "pucks" even after 60K miles.

Spark plugs obviously don't magically provide more power, unless one believes in Splitfire. A brand new plug with no oxidation and no erosion should work just as well as a long-life plug as long as there isn't a special reason for the long-life plug other than longer wear. Some weekend racers even change their plugs before every competition using standard plugs.

Perhaps 10 years or so ago, my brother installed new Bosch plugs in his wife's Bronco. A few hundred miles later, one plug blew the entire porcelain out, leaving the shell in the head. He replaced it with same and it and a different plug soon lost their porcelains.

He replaced them all with Motorcraft plugs and didn't have any more plug issues.

Because of this, Bosch is the one plug brand I avoid. I use NGK or Denso in everything (except the Ducati) in what ever electrode type was factory.

What kind of Bosch? I've heard a ton of criticism over their original-style platinum plugs, which have a thin platinum wire that's buried almost flush with the insulator. They claim that the platinum can survive the heat and that the heat keeps it clean. I've heard from some mechanics that they just found that the wire just evaporated. Many of those were just replacements for standard plugs where they didn't advertise a longer life and they didn't cost a whole lot more. I found this photo of one where the wires vaporized. There should be metal in that little hole there.

Bosch%20Platinum%20Plus%20spark%20plug%20failure.jpg

I stick to OEM Denso copper plugs in my 15 Tacoma 4.0L. 30K interval’s because that’s what it calls for. They always look great, cheap and easy to replace.

Why not install the same plug you took out.....Take one out write down the name and number and get those....easy peasy

I've been using Bosch platinum in my Fords that came with Motorcraft platinum for about the past 30 years. I've ran several of the sets of Bosch platinum 100-125K miles and only changed them then because I felt guilty they hadn't been changed in several years. The only problem I've had with Bosch is I once cracked the porcelain on a plug while installing it but I suspect I'd have cracked it regardless of brand.

What kind of Bosch? I've heard a ton of criticism over their original-style platinum plugs, which have a thin platinum wire that's buried almost flush with the insulator. They claim that the platinum can survive the heat and that the heat keeps it clean. I've heard from some mechanics that they just found that the wire just evaporated. Many of those were just replacements for standard plugs where they didn't advertise a longer life and they didn't cost a whole lot more. I found this photo of one where the wires vaporized. There should be metal in that little hole there.

Bosch%20Platinum%20Plus%20spark%20plug%20failure.jpg
It's been a while, but he thinks they were those Bosch 4-electrode plugs.

Have NGK Iridiums in my 2002 Ford F-150.
Runs just as good as the original Motorcraft.
No problems at all.

Don't buy NGK from Amazon. Don't ask me how i know.
I bought my NGK Iridiuns from Amazon and they actually are working fantastic.
2002 Ford F-150, 4,6 liter 2 valve engine.
Guess it's just a luck of the draw, unfortunately.

Last edited:
You are best served by using Japanese plugs in Japanese cars,German in German cars and American plugs in American cars . You can switch around if you like buy it's been my experience that the OEM is best. Especially in imports.

You can run ngk in a Chevy or Ford but I don't recommend putting autolite or champion in a Japanese car .

I don't like autolite plugs at all!

With that said plugs are all made from the same parts so brand should not matter but it does.

I bought my NGK Iridiuns from Amazon and they actually are working fantastic.
2002 Ford F-150, 4,6 liter 2 valve engine.
Guess it's just a luck of the draw, unfortunately.
How many miles? In my experience, they last 15K to 20K. I just replaced a set on my niece's 2015 Odyssey; the rear bank is a pain, but doable.
MkaiTlHmGWVmVpxlNbBDSVHxG15eIQdyS7JsUpRlW2C4BeezddODV81x48dkA1i7pMn_NFuHKhgDr9O4aLrlItq3y9Pee_2SB8jwW6fwwZtJP9klmPgB2UMxo5TmFp4TYFhceOZvyeZtsg7k4WZ7mtVry6Ac7RdS4Q68mf3IjfYw4NIYdf5Qi0FPypdvyqnmDBpXIaOzeWOCHaj4qsHjSq-BkMvXFFAf3Aibtp_BfSa0cY0osKfnHP8YtWou5bcMmVmXr1J-xHPQvB2dK7B6S-yYtUHk7feG8VB3HatoexZSFFurXjk9X4kKs4z8yK1NLUcQwFiRHO7w0VPmSXCmOitYWjfRjsVoaMefNmFD0Yn2IggfFFyZJMWv7qS55eebh5ef4OEIyer4iYlO2GQmCP6CoOxl7rIsr2lIKHWVrMGw3UnUgz3U2fyQUSqmfh7X5xrGtmNpppua1FCtXrl9gh-tHiKUB8LfpfFlbG4--Lr796bP0iS0uV2lsnVgIecntKSetHz6y_PBWJAarwgvppUIWBXKoRztmcsHdvnhsXFZQoWR6H1mSoEoP9r7UTw9FVqpNdeHNTzRvzWiJE9yFAZS0Gsf93NXtga9TQ-ckF0iQpofoOSpdpca-36DIVnIrf2NcuhAqGJ-sJOvExMSa39zrNB7mC40pejkwoOEp6OwwmFPMD4vN1naOrZS5m4sDZFT0l2wErsHGBd9GsxCJ4q7hbYPfiZQSlZlnYtghZKRtFPz42DKboqtIKiY_1nl6piQnVwMDrWXsh0PBPNIVGqg6aOEeOBw6W8752l1u2RuX3m1uafRI1kkgLYMbytqlixMDbMHWcLpal-BCpfmaHIDZxZllZllCIK0qyJb9BhoBPS4XnE-yGwVeQkzXQZf6zluE_XW8BSd2CARXKJdpATCHmq5baVaALFCNNP7QhrDClCO=w671-h893-no

Back