Spark Plug Time - OEM Denso to NGK Ruthenium

New to the fleet 2010 Honda CR-V with 119,285 miles on the clock. Starting to do some basic maintenance whenever it's not being driven. First was the battery, next up were the spark plugs. At 119K, I'm assuming they are the original plugs, and I'm a very loyal NGK customer, so it was either the OEM style Laser Iridiums for $16.49 each retail, or Rutheniums for $12.49 each retail at Advance. After a 20 minute discussion with a very enthusiastic and knowledgeable NGK rep, the decision was the Ruthenium plugs. Then I just added 4 of them to my cart, applied my discount code, applied my $20 Speed Perk, then called their customer care number to match the price to RockAuto. They edited my cart to match the price, but knowingly left the discount code and Perk in the cart also (she said "I don't feel like going through the steps, so...oops."). So including tax, I paid a whopping $0.855 per plug! I don't believe it either, so I posted the proof below.
20210223_022408.jpg

Now that I've bragged entirely too much about my dumb luck, here's the plug pics. I tried to take pictures in different lighting. The orientation of the first picture is passenger side plug --> driver's side plug (left --> right). The last two are reversed, driver's side plug --> to passenger side plug (left --> right). Easy way to tell is the second from the passenger side plug has darker threads than the rest.

20210221_181858.jpg

20210221_181923.jpg

20210221_181934.jpg

20210221_181522.jpg

I think they were due, especially considering the blackened insulators. Overall, I don't see anything too alarming on the old ones. So far the Rutheniums are awesome!

Last edited:
ALL plugs WEAR + exotic metal plugs are for longer life NOT better performance!! EZE 4 bangers get NGK copper plugs at 10 thou from me but PITA changes should use the overpriced longer lasting ones especially if your paying for the install!

A competent mechanic, who was the next fellow into the barber's chair, told me about Ruthenium plugs.

I had never heard of them before and completely forgot the word until now.

What benefit or improvement does Ruthenium deliver?
It's been beat around a bit, here are some threads:

ALL plugs WEAR + exotic metal plugs are for longer life NOT better performance!! EZE 4 bangers get NGK copper plugs at 10 thou from me but PITA changes should use the overpriced longer lasting ones especially if your paying for the install!
Four screws for the cover, four screws (1 for each coil) to remove the coils, and *pop* x4. Then it's just a 5/8" spark plug socket. Remove the old plugs, install new plugs, then reverse order. It's literally 10 minutes (took me 20 because my brand new spark plug socket refused to let go of the new plugs after installing them...the rubber gripper was too tight and my extension was breaking loose from the socket before the socket would break loose from the plug). Why would you waste the money and time buying $4-5 plugs every 10K when you could buy Ruthenium, Laser Iridium, or equivalent for $12-15 and not touch them for 100K+? When you do the math, the "overpriced" plugs are not the Rutheniums/Iridiums.

Also, to be technical, while you are correct that generally the difference is longevity, there is a performance/heat range difference in many plugs. Think forced induction...

You don’t have to change those plugs again until 220,000 miles. Think you’ll still have the car? ;)
Considering the person who bought it purchased her previous vehicle at 105K, made a bet with me that she'd become a member of the 300K mile club, and didn't want to get rid of it, but a sudden camshaft seal leak (exposing the timing belt to oil) and an unexpected expensive suspension issue forced her hand at 226K...yeah, I'm pretty sure she'll still have the car. She hates losing, especially twice. Haha.

We called that bet even, because I said the notorious transmission would be the nail in the coffin. But I did the maintenance the whole time, so I'm kind of proud to lose that one.

Last edited:
How do plug gap increase ? Is it because the electrode tip wears down and the distance from the leg increase, or is both the tip wearing down and the leg bending apart by the forces ?

I love the speed perks discount I use that all the time saved me money on my 6 plugs the other day. I have yet to try the Ruthenium ones but I have had excellent luck with Denso and NGK that’s what I run in my imports. I put Autolite in my Ford the other day they were platinum it still had the original in it too after 169,000 didn’t even seem like they were bad but I had to do the valve cover gaskets so I figured I wouldn’t have to take them apart again to do the plugs. We took the OEM Denso plugs in my dads car until 209,000 when it started missing and it was plugs. We put NGK Iridium in them and they are still doing great. I’ve got NGK copper in my truck they are doing fine too. And then I only use Bosch copper in the beetle. Really I’ve had luck with all brands my favorite are NGK, Champion and Autolite.

Last edited:
I love the speed perks discount I use that all the time saved me money on my 6 plugs the other day. I have yet to try the Ruthenium ones but I have had excellent luck with Denso and NGK that’s what I run in my imports. I put Autolite in my Ford the other day they were platinum it still had the original in it too after 169,000 didn’t even seem like they were bad but I had to do the valve cover gaskets so I figured I wouldn’t have to take them apart again to do the plugs. We took the OEM Denso plugs in my dads car until 209,000 when it started missing and it was plugs. We put NGK Iridium in them and they are still doing great. I’ve got NGK copper in my truck they are doing fine too. And then I only use Bosch copper in the beetle. Really I’ve had luck with all brands my favorite are NGK, Champion and Autolite.
You wouldn't catch me dead buying Autolites, never liked them (and yes, I've tried them a few times). NGK for everything in my book, but I do make exceptions for some domestic vehicles. Examples are Delco (iridiums) for Chevys, Motorcraft (regular/"single") platinums for Ford modulars, and when I had the occasional Chrysler/Dodge 318/360 or even the 2000s 4.7L I used to go with Champions (although now I'd probably even use NGK for those).

You wouldn't catch me dead buying Autolites, never liked them (and yes, I've tried them a few times). NGK for everything in my book, but I do make exceptions for some domestic vehicles. Examples are Delco (iridiums) for Chevys, Motorcraft (regular/"single") platinums for Ford modulars, and when I had the occasional Chrysler/Dodge 318/360 or even the 2000s 4.7L I used to go with Champions (although now I'd probably even use NGK for those).
Well Autolite makes Motorcraft lol. And Ford recommends them if you don’t use the Motorcraft ones.

Well Autolite makes Motorcraft lol. And Ford recommends them if you don’t use the Motorcraft ones.
Honestly I never knew this, and it's been in plain sight for a loooong time. I know I've tried a few Motorcraft offerings and only the "single" platinums on the modulars were worth their weight. Now it actually makes sense.

I also now know why the Tritons had so many problems! 😁

Jokes aside, the next modular engine that comes my way will be getting NGKs just to see if there's a difference. If not, or there is only an improvement, I guess I'll be writing off MC spark plugs too.

I would have gone originals. You got 120k out of them so why take a chance? Denso out, Denso in, they're every bit as good as NGK for sure

The exotic metal plugs also have smaller diameter center electrode tips, which is for better ignitability, thus better performance.

NGK68716-graphics-for-web-IGNITABILITY-1024x655.jpg

Back