Spark Plug Replacement After 18 years.

Yes kind of,but years ago I did do a lot of work on my cars but now at 75 I'm done with that.
As long as Mr.Plastic is healthy and fat he is my go t

Slipping a card under the problem for the fix has been my brother's mo for some years now. And I have also gravitated toward having repair done rather than doing them myself. Regards
Being retired myself, I'm keenly aware that I am approaching a point where I will no longer feel up to crawling under and crouching down around a car. So I get it. The time will come for all of us.

I guess that will be the time to sell the Mercedes and get a Toyota. Oh, what a depressing thought. :unsure: 😞

Being retired myself, I'm keenly aware that I am approaching a point where I will no longer feel up to crawling under and crouching down around a car. So I get it. The time will come for all of us.

I guess that will be the time to sell the Mercedes and get a Toyota. Oh, what a depressing thought. :unsure: 😞
I feel your pain,I'm in the same boat.
Money aside there is something nice about dropping a car off at the shop and having it fixed the next day or so.

I feel old. When i read the title i said to myself wow they haven’t been changed since the early 90s. Then i saw it was an 04 Toyota 😭

Reactions: wlk
I've still got the original plugs in my 1999 Alero (built in 1998) at ~74K miles. Yeah, will probably do some sort of soaking procedure with PB Blaster and hope for the best.

^ Yes the "slowly back-and-forth" technique can be very helpful removing old or stuck threaded parts.

Reactions: wlk
Just make sure you blow out the holes before removing the plugs and before squirting any type of fluid in there. At least let the fluid sit overnight.

Mr. Plastic. gave me a good laugh.

I got curious about the plugs in my old Yukon one freezing cold day. It wasn't idling well in the first winter I had it. Naturally, the first coil plug broke apart. And the spark plug was original with about 165,000 miles. They looked like they came off the titanic. The crack sound when I broke the first one loose made me worried about the other 7. The plug gap was the width of a Mcdonald's french fry.

I put new coil wires and NGK Iridiums in and was freezing. Probably one of the coldest windy days that winter. And the truck was slower. It idled better, but it lost power, what a disappointment.

On a cold engine just crack the plug, put some penetrating oil in the holes and let it sit longer the better. Then work them back and forth slowly to let the penetrating oil work itself back into the threads. Should be out in no time.

I have taken very good care of my 04 Camry V6, and at 84000+ miles, it runs like new. However, I have not replaced the spark plugs, and I am concerned about the possibility of removing the plugs after being in the engine for that many years. I am reluctant to remove one of the front bank of plugs to find out, concerned that the head threads will come out with the plug, leaving me with no transportation. Comments appreciated.
run the vehicle for a few minutes, you want it warm, not hot. keep in mind that they say never do the plugs on a hot vehicle. On that vehicle the block is aluminum, and the plug threads are nickle. aluminum will expand more than nickle at warmer temps. again, not hot, but a little warm might help. Don't over tourque it. you may need an impact gun, so going to a mechanic to do this one may be needed.

Get the vehicle were you are going to work on it. Then pour some MM oil in the PCV hose. Give it a good dose. Now you have oil on the inside threads to help oil as plug unscrews.

Back