Spark Plug Replacement After 18 years.

I have taken very good care of my 04 Camry V6, and at 84000+ miles, it runs like new. However, I have not replaced the spark plugs, and I am concerned about the possibility of removing the plugs after being in the engine for that many years. I am reluctant to remove one of the front bank of plugs to find out, concerned that the head threads will come out with the plug, leaving me with no transportation. Comments appreciated.

I have taken very good care of my 04 Camry V6, and at 84000+ miles, it runs like new. However, I have not replaced the spark plugs, and I am concerned about the possibility of removing the plugs after being in the engine for that many years. I am reluctant to remove one of the front bank of plugs to find out, concerned that the head threads will come out with the plug, leaving me with no transportation. Comments appreciated.
the plugs on my ML320 were about the same age when I removed them, the trick is to use lots of penetrating oil and be patient.

I sprayed a ton of penetrating oil around the spark plug (enough to see it pool about an 1/8 inch deep around the threads) then let it soak overnight

the plugs all came out using the tighten/loosen procedure

I'm not sure with the wide base of a spark plug and or washers, that a penetrating oil will get to the threads. If the plug has resistance to being removed, you need to work it back and forth in incements to knock carbon off the threads. Otherwise, if you crank it out, you could bring out the threads with it, especially in aluminum.

Blow out all crud which has collected in the plug wells. Make sure engine is cold. You will have to break plugs loose and back out just a little ao that any penetrant you use can seep down the plug threads. I like PBBlaster. If the plugs aren't back out a little, it's unlikely the penetrant will do any good as the plug is sealed tightly against the head.

Concerns about the plug coming out with the threads is why I changed out the plugs in my 2014 Passat @ 50,000 miles (7 years). Even then it was a PITA. The rubber sleeves over the plugs had glued themselves to the ceramic. I had to pry them off with a crowbar.

If you tend to keep the car you will have to change it anyway, so i would change as soon as possible. The more you wait, the worse it will get.

Take your time and let the penetrating oil do his job overnight.

After that much time i am sure new plugs will provide some benefits.

Good luck!

Some Toyotas have a 120k spark replacement interval. If that’s the case on yours you don’t need to worry with it…
Don't you feel like an odd man out here on BITOG?
Slipping a card under the problem for the fix has been my brother's mo for some years now. And I have also gravitated toward having repair done rather than doing them myself. Regards

Back