Southern foods you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red beans and rice
Shrimp and grits
Cornbread, cornbread, and more cornbread

Not a big fan of deep south BBQ. Texas or Tennessee styles are my preference. If I moved to Texas, I'd think I had died and gone to heaven.

I forgot to mention my wife was raised in rural Florida and makes killer biscuits and gravy and chicken fried steak.

True Texas BBQ is like no other. Wherever I've lived people have really liked BBQ I produced, many trying brisket in some way other than stewed for the first time. I'm a fan of just about all smoked or grilled foods.

What I don't like is the short list. Oysters don't agree with me but all other seafood whether lake, river, or Gulf of Mexico based in the south does. As noted by others there are quality differences including handling from harvest to table. If mishandled anywhere along the way I hate it.

Never been big on fried okra, my folks grew lots of it growing up and we ate what Mom cooked and put on the table, maybe that's why. Okra in gumbo is fine with me.

Not a big fan of grits personally.

Greens are great when properly prepared, horrible otherwise. I had to give them up when I was put on warfarin for an autoimmune blood disorder, but it wasn't a big sacrifice. Now that I'm on Eliquis I don't seek them out because of the properly prepared thing.

For further south, I like a wide panoply of Caribbean offerings as well starting with jerk. Dislikes are generally sides like mofongo doesn't appeal to me, as well as salt anything (salt fish, salt pork, etc) as I really don't care for salty foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back