Stephen Hunter describes southern food

This is an excerpt from Stephen Hunter's excellent novel Hot Springs. I'm not familiar with this sort of regional cuisine, so I'm hoping some of you southern BITOGers can tell me how authentic this would be for the time. (The novel is set in Arkansas in 1946.)

I already know what scrapple is, due an earlier post here.

But Junior had other ideas. Did he want to come up to the house and eat dinner with the Turners? Er, no, not really, but Carlo now saw no polite way out of it, and Junior and his boys seemed really to want his company, a rare enough occurrence in his life. So in the end, he meekly said yes, and was hustled off.

And what a dinner. Whatever the Turners did, they ate well. Squirrel stew in a black pool of bubbly gravy, like a tar pit, collard greens, turnips, scrapple, great slabs of bacon all moist with fat, taters by the long ton, in every configuration known to man, chicken-fried steak, gnarly and soaked in yet another variation on the theme of gravy, corn on the cob or shelled and mushed, a mountain of grits slathered in a snowcap of butter, hot apple dumpling, more coffee, hot, black and strong, the attention of flirty little Turner girls, somebody's female brood of cousins or nieces or something (never too clear on exactly who these girls were) and, after dark, corn likker and good storytelling.

It was night. Mosquitoes buzzed around but the Turner boys, all loquacious, were sitting about on the porch, smoking pipes or vile cigars imported from far-off, glamorous Saint Louie, in various postures of lassitude and inebriation. In the piney Ouachitas, crickets yammered and small furry things screeched when they died. Up above, the stars pinwheeled this way and that.

Writer was not from Arkansas or the south. If we had turnips we had turnip greens. I've eaten plenty of grits, scrapple and bacon, but never all in one meal.

We ate grits and bacon with eggs for breakfast. Scrapple was if out of bacon. We did not eat this for supper.

Wiki says that Hunter was born in KC in 1946 but grew up in Illinois. He's spent most of his professional life as a movie reviewer, in Baltimore and later in DC.

Some of that meal (SOME) happened at my grandparents home around the holidays. The part about the porch, that happened after every meal. The grown ups would sit on the porch in steel chairs, rocking chairs, and the porch swing, drinking beer and sipping whiskey (well, some glugged it). Oh, and talking politics, the good old days, and how times now (back then) were too easy.

Some of that is southern though I can say having family in Arkansas with roots very far back in that state we don’t eat all of that in one meal. Me personally I don’t care for a whole lot of that honestly lol. I’ll eat Scrapple it’s delicious and bacon of course.

Born and raised in the South but I’ve never had squirrel stew and if you know about scrapple then you know it is not a Southern thing. The first time I ever saw the word scrapple was on a Bob Evans menu in Pa.

Last edited:
Born and raised in the South but I’ve never had squirrel stew and if you know about scrapple then you know it is not a Southern thing. The first time I ever saw the word scrapple was on a Bob Evans menu in Pa.
That is true. I was at a Bed and Breakfast in Pennsylvania the people asked what I wanted for breakfast and that they could make anything and I said biscuits and gravy please and they got a scared look on their face and said I can’t make that. Woke up and scrapple and eggs were for breakfast it wasn’t bad actually. Though I see it in stores throughout the south all the time.

Worked all over the world and heard of and ate many things. Never heard of scrapple until I was transferred to PA in 2014, learned of it from a coworker who grew up in Philadelphia and looovvvvveeeeddd scrapple. Have not seen scrapple on any menu or store since I was transferred out of PA.

I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. My normal breakfast was bacon or scrapple with fried eggs, grits and Maryland beat biscuits with jam.

If you had all that meat to eat during the same meal in 1946 in the South, then you were quite well off. If you had squirrel stew, then you wouldn't be having the chicken-fried steak, etc. You have to stretch the proteins.

Back